Post Cruise Victoria Visit: 18-19 Aug 2012

Hi all - looking for some expert Victoria advice for independent travelers, please. We are disembarking the Diamond Princess on Sat., Aug 18 at around 8:30 AM. Here's our plan:

Saturday

• Cab it to the bus station
  • Take bus to ferry
  • Ferry to Victoria
  • Rent car from Budget (at this point I suspect it will be around 2 PM)
  • Check into hotel (see below)
  • Early dinner somewhere
  • Go to Butchart Gardens for the evening and then fireworks at night (I understand they are terrific!)
  • Late snack and then bed

Sunday

• Early breakfast
  • Tea at Empress
  • Drive to / hang out in little villages around the countryside
  • 7:30 PM Return rental car at airport
  • 9 PM: Fly to Vancouver airport for 11:30 redye back to Philadelphia

Questions:

• Is it worth it to stay at the Empress? They have a Gardens / Room / Tea package for $400 CAD. I am interested in the real Brit experience.

• Any deals that you know of for the Empress other than through the hotel?
  • If not the Empress, any other recommendations?

• Any other suggestions for the itinerary?
  • How shuttered up is Victoria on a Sunday?

Thanks!!

Well it will be a quick trip.

How are you getting from the ferry terminal at Sidney into downtown Victoria to pick up rental car? Better idea would be to catch PCL bus from downtown Vancouver right to downtown Victoria.

If you don't get to Butchart's by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, don't bother going because it will already be full. I suggest that you actually go out there for your dinner; they have everything from hot dog vendors up to full scale formal dining room.

Is it worth it to stay at the Empress? Not in my opinion; if you want a real Brit experience - go to England. Is that $400 for two people or per person?

How shuttered up is Victoria on a Sunday? Everything will be open.

Questions:

• Is it worth it to stay at the Empress? They have a Gardens / Room / Tea package for $400 CAD. I am interested in the real Brit experience.

Thanks!!

I have stayed at the Empress and can remember each occasion...is it worth it...probably not but it is fun and something you will remember. Hotels at that price point that I would recommend would be the Magnolia, the Grand Pacific and the Inn at Laurel Point.

I always enjoy driving Dallas Rd., I think that is about as pretty a drive as there is. Oak Bay, the Uplands area, the Royal Roads University and the Fisgard lighthouse are all worthy of a visit.

Victoria on a Sunday during the summer is pretty much wide open.

See below!

Well it will be a quick trip.

How are you getting from the ferry terminal at Sidney into downtown Victoria to pick up rental car? Better idea would be to catch PCL bus from downtown Vancouver right to downtown Victoria.

Glad I asked - I was under the impression that Budget had a shuttle for ferry-goers - am I not correct? My game plan is to avoid schlepping luggage at all costs.

If you don't get to Butchart's by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, don't bother going because it will already be full. I suggest that you actually go out there for your dinner; they have everything from hot dog vendors up to full scale formal dining room.

Thanks for that tip!

Is it worth it to stay at the Empress? Not in my opinion; if you want a real Brit experience - go to England. Is that $400 for two people or per person?

It's for Butchart admission, tea, and the room, all for 2 people. We've been all around England, but never in such a historical hotel. Any other recommendations?

How shuttered up is Victoria on a Sunday? Everything will be open.

Excellent.

Thank you!

I have stayed at the Empress and can remember each occasion...is it worth it...probably not but it is fun and something you will remember. Hotels at that price point that I would recommend would be the Magnolia, the Grand Pacific and the Inn at Laurel Point.

I always enjoy driving Dallas Rd., I think that is about as pretty a drive as there is. Oak Bay, the Uplands area, the Royal Roads University and the Fisgard lighthouse are all worthy of a visit.

Victoria on a Sunday during the summer is pretty much wide open.

I phoned Budget's Victoria Airport location and they do a pick up at the Swartz Bay ferry terminal during normal business hours..ie 0800 to 1600 but you do need to call them on arrival at the terminal.

250-655-2650

That's so kind! I am actually reserved to pick up from their Douglas Street office....should I change? There was no difference in fees to pick up there and drop off at Victoria airport....

I phoned Budget's Victoria Airport location and they do a pick up at the Swartz Bay ferry terminal during normal business hours..ie 0800 to 1600 but you do need to call them on arrival at the terminal.

250-655-2650

The Airport location is minutes from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal whereas the Douglas St. location (which is near and dear to my heart) is 35 mins .... I would do the airport, they are the same franchisee as far as I know.

Wow - I was looking at the completely WRONG ferry arrival area! I was planning my air, my cruise, and Anchorage all in the same day and must've gotten things mucked up. Thanks again!

The Airport location is minutes from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal whereas the Douglas St. location (which is near and dear to my heart) is 35 mins .... I would do the airport, they are the same franchisee as far as I know.

Hi all - looking for some expert Victoria advice for independent travelers, please. We are disembarking the Diamond Princess on Sat., Aug 18 at around 8:30 AM. Here's our plan:

Saturday

• Take bus to ferry
  • Ferry to Victoria
  • Early dinner somewhere
  • Go to Butchart Gardens for the evening and then fireworks at night (I understand they are terrific!)

Sunday

• Early breakfast
  • Tea at Empress
  • Drive to / hang out in little villages around the countryside
  • 7:30 PM Return rental car at airport
  • 9 PM: Fly to Vancouver airport for 11:30 redye back to Philadelphia

Questions:

Thanks!!

As someone pointed out, the ferry terminal (Swartz Bay) is much closer to the YYJ/Victoria Airport than to downtown Victoria; and would be the preferable place to get the car.

For getting from downtown Vancouver to Swartz Bay, you can either

Pacific Coach Lines from the Vancouver Bus (also Amtrak) station; it's $20 + $15 for the ferry (+ taxi to bus station, a couple miles from Canada Place); MAKE SURE YOU TAG YOUR LUGGAGE SWARTZ BAY AND NOT VICTORIA

Alternately, Canada Line Skytrain to Bridgeport station, followed by the #620 bus to Tsawwassen, and dump you luggage on the ferry bag drop (pick up on the other side), cost is $5 + $15 for the ferry. Both take exactly the same amount of time. This method also meets every ferry sailing, whereas the Pacific Coach Line bus only meets the odd-hour sailings. You'll have to take your luggage a couple of blocks from Canada Place to Skytrain, and down the elevator at Bridgeport to the bus.

You're definitely doing the right thing by renting the car on the far side.

As for tea rooms, I would suggest http://www.pointellicehouse.ca/ as it's a lot cheaper than the Empress, or even going into the tea room at Murchie's tea & coffee on Government street.

Also, if you're a science geek, and you're in town on a Saturday night, the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory is not to be missed in my mind.

If that $400 includes all that it might be worth it BUT make sure that the Butchart's admission can be used on fireworks Saturdays. Sometimes fireworks nights are not included in package deals.

To be clear on which ferry route you should be looking at: Tswassen to Schwartz Bay. If Budget will pick you up at the ferry, then that would be your best bet. I would suggest that you stop at Butcharts on your way into Victoria instead of back tracking (of course that depends on what ferry you catch). To be aware as I said earlier, the fireworks are hugely popular and the place gets very crowded so don't be late getting out there.

Agree with Putt, the drive around Dallas Road, Beach Drive, into the Uplands is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Here's our plan:

Saturday

• Take bus to ferry
  • Ferry to Victoria
  • Early dinner somewhere

The flaw in your plan, besides the rental car location, is that you assume you have time to rent the car, check into your hotel, have dinner, and then go to the Gardens. As mentioned, you need to be there early or you will be turned away. Also, the Gardens are out by the ferry terminal; it seems like an incredible waste of time to come all the way into town only to turn around and go back out, IMO.

I'm not really sure how to guide you here, but you need to know that your Saturday plan, as written, is too complicated and not do-able.

• Is it worth it to stay at the Empress?

Up to you, but unless the rooms have been completely renovated, as in made larger (!), they are very small. I used to work with the hotel manager's son and they all lived in the hotel - very tight and small.

Also, if you're a science geek, and you're in town on a Saturday night, the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory is not to be missed in my mind.

Agreed, but OP stated they want to go to the Gardens for fireworks.

Hmmmm...

If that $400 includes all that it might be worth it BUT make sure that the Butchart's admission can be used on fireworks Saturdays. Sometimes fireworks nights are not included in package deals.

Yes, thanks, I confirmed that. The fireworks admission is included in the price of the daily Garden ticket. 400 CAD (385 US!) seems like a deal if you consider the high tea is included, too.

To be clear on which ferry route you should be looking at: Tswassen to Schwartz Bay. If Budget will pick you up at the ferry, then that would be your best bet. I would suggest that you stop at Butcharts on your way into Victoria instead of back tracking (of course that depends on what ferry you catch). To be aware as I said earlier, the fireworks are hugely popular and the place gets very crowded so don't be late getting out there.

Thanks - I think my geography is in line now. After planning flights to GET to Anchorage, a hotel in Anchorage, a Whittier plan, and figuring out the best way to get to and from Victoria to catch my redeye, I'm afraid I was a little glassy eyed when determining the logistics for Saturday. Glad you folks were such a help!

Agree with Putt, the drive around Dallas Road, Beach Drive, into the Uplands is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

I'm so there!

Thanks! See below.

The flaw in your plan, besides the rental car location, is that you assume you have time to rent the car, check into your hotel, have dinner, and then go to the Gardens. As mentioned, you need to be there early or you will be turned away. Also, the Gardens are out by the ferry terminal; it seems like an incredible waste of time to come all the way into town only to turn around and go back out, IMO.

I'm not really sure how to guide you here, but you need to know that your Saturday plan, as written, is too complicated and not do-able.

Not sure why you say so? I travel (a lot) for a living (consultant), so I'm used to travel and the coordination it takes. Based on others' feedback, we'll probably wait to check in at the hotel until after the Gardens. I am glad I asked and received such kind advice! Give the ferry, the updated car rental location, and the Gardens are all in close proximity, what am I missing?

Up to you, but unless the rooms have been completely renovated, as in made larger (!), they are very small. I used to work with the hotel manager's son and they all lived in the hotel - very tight and small.

Yes, the rooms are described on their site as "quaint". All of Europe is small, too - IMO, that doesn't make it bad. I am sleeping in the room, not living in it. :) We just want the experience of a fine hotel oozing of history and clotted cream. From what others have posted, it is a great experience. I'm pretty sure it'll be nicer than the Hampton Inn in Anchorage and not all that much more expensive given the deal....

Keep it coming - I've learned so much already from you lovely Canadians!

Archived