Viking 2 for 1 am I missing something

goose30

Just business advertising. It seems to always be that way. Pat

They remind me of the Oriental carpet shops in my neighborhood that are constantly having going-out-of business sales. This type of marketing, along with other practices such as them wanting money so far in advance, turns me off to Viking. I don't even look at them any more when I am shopping for a river cruise. I look at other lines that have more respespectable marketing practices.

Viking always seems to have a 2 for 1 sale. However, when I look at the discounted prices they look to be about the same as everyone else. What am I missing?

Nothing. That's their marketing "schtick." I don't particularly like it, but the point is to pick the company you think will be best for you.

After a great deal of research, we went to China last year with Viking and it was the most extraordinary trip we've ever taken.

I would not write off a company based on this marketing.

Almost every company uses some sort of marketing gimick to get your attention. It really has nothing to do with your experience on the cruise. Do your research on all the cruises doing your particular intinerary and accept or reject tours based on facts and what is important to you.

Totally ignore the claim of 2 for 1 pricing. Do an apples to apples comparison of what you get and what you will pay of all the lines cruising the itinerary that you are doing. Compare Viking, Uniworld, AMA Waterways, Grand Circle, Vantage and any others that serve the itinerary that you are interested in. Most do not require that you pay up front to get their advertised price, but probably give discounts from it for early payment. Of course, if you are traveling solo with Viking, you get charged double. Most charge something as a single supplement, but not double. Some, such as Grand Circle, do roommate matching to avoid the single supplement.

Archived