NCL dropped my Cabin???

Scoopny

New cruiser. Just got a shock when I went to download my edocs for NCL Gem cruise out of ny 7/28. We had two cabins next to each other on deck 5 (in the cheap seats but good for my DH motion sickness). When I went to print the edocs, one of the cabin #'s was different and all the way down the hall from the other. My TA said NCL dropped the cabin and they couldn't get it back(not sure the the heck that means). They offered us two cabins on deck 9, all the way up front. I dig the upgrade but heard that's a bad place for motion sickness. Then they offered us two side by side on deck 8 (sideways cabins). From what i see they don't look bad and i have heard good things about the sideways cabins. Anyone have any advice? What bothers me is the fact that NCL caused this commotion, you would think they could at least offer us a better upgrade. Anyone ever encounter anything like this before, I would love some advice. I should be speaking with my TA today.

NCL "dropped" the cabin...I have not heard that one before.

When we hear of these situations on cruise critic, there a re times when the cruiseline messed up, there are times when the travel agent messed up, and there are times when the passenger messed up. It certainly does not seem that you messed up (you were prompt with payment, and all)...It is possible the TA messed up and does not want to admit it. Or NCL may have messed up. Either way, it appears the TA and NCL are working together to make it right. I would take sideways cabins on deck 8. deck 8 is very convenient and the sideways cabins are fine. have a good cruise.

PS. if your travel agent was the one who messed up, the agency may be eating some or all of the cost to resolve the issue...If so, they probably won't want to spring for a big upgrade.

I also never heard the phrase "dropped the cabin". Not sure what that means. Was the original cabin perhaps a handicapped cabin that they had to bump you from? I've heard of that happening.

Anyway, glad you didn't pick the deck 9 forward cabins as you will feel more movement there. Looks like they worked hard to get you two cabins next to each other as you originally intended.

Very strange, in deed. But glad to see whoever is responsible is trying to make it right by you.

BTW I've only read good things about the sideways cabins and you are very wise not to go to the bow of the ship if you have motion sickness worries.

The sideways cabins on 8 are pretty good, cabins above and not much below to be a bother. Do you have a document from the original booking showing your two cabins on deck five. There are no handicaps on 5 so that's not the issue.

I have my TA documents from when i made the deposit showing cabins 5605 and 5607. We did call NCL and talk to a rep and she said it is documented that NCL changed it and that a supervisor was involved. Just not sure what the original issue was, can't seem to find out that info. We are traveling with 2 kids (12 and 16) so that is why we need these rooms together and the problem is that they don't have many cabins together at this point.

I have my TA documents from when i made the deposit showing cabins 5605 and 5607. We did call NCL and talk to a rep and she said it is documented that NCL changed it and that a supervisor was involved. Just not sure what the original issue was, can't seem to find out that info. We are traveling with 2 kids (12 and 16) so that is why we need these rooms together and the problem is that they don't have many cabins together at this point.

What I find odd is that if this was originally an NCL's issue, they could very easily have fixed it quickly by having their upsell fairy call the passengers of the side by side now occupied cabin and offer them an upsell (which is what they usually do close to the dates anyway leaving the easier to sell cabins vacant for last minute deals). That kind of leaves me with the impression that your TA actually made the initial booboo.

But as I said earlier as long as they can make it work for you. Great.

Happy sailing.

Last cruise, when looking at NCL's website to see if the rates had gone lower on our cabin, I saw my cabin number available to book :eek:

Looked at "my NCL" and saw I was moved to an other deck completely in the bow...didn't want that :eek:

Called NCL right away, they told me to call my TA, I did and they told me to call NCL :mad: .. I spoke with a supervisor from my TA and we had a conference call with a NCL rep. ...by that time my cabin number had been booked :eek: and NCL admitted it was their fault. They booked me 3 cabins down from original booking...no OBC or anything for my trouble.

Still... I cruised and that's all that wanted

Last cruise, when looking at NCL's website to see if the rates had gone lower on our cabin, I saw my cabin number available to book :eek:

Looked at "my NCL" and saw I was moved to an other deck completely in the bow...didn't want that :eek:

Called NCL right away, they told me to call my TA, I did and they told me to call NCL :mad: .. I spoke with a supervisor from my TA and we had a conference call with a NCL rep. ...by that time my cabin number had been booked :eek: and NCL admitted it was their fault. They booked me 3 cabins down from original booking...no OBC or anything for my trouble.

Still... I cruised and that's all that wanted

I wonder if the TA had a block of rooms in reserve and then either NCL or your TA released a portion of them with yours being one of them by mistake.

Glad you caught it. People work diligently to book certain cabins for certain reasons. Can't imagine this happening!

I am surprised NCL talked to you...since the TA "owns" the reservation, usually NCL will not speak directly with the customer. Cruiselines try not to bad mouth any agent...professional courtesy and they want future business. Regardless, I think you got a nice free upgrade. I am glad they resolved the problem and got the neighboring cabins you need.

Just a reminder to anyone who has multiple cabins booked to have the reservation numbers linked. NCL will do this for you on request, or you can ask your TA to request it for you. This restricts any changes to the bookings unless it includes all the staterooms. While the confirmation email for the reservation does not note this, you can request an email from your pcc that lists the staterooms linked, which gives you a time stamp. I would think your TA could provide the same confirmation.

We happened to have a sideways cabin on our "cabin crawl" on the Sun last year and it was HUGE. Totally impressed with the layout. We tried to get a sideways for our upcoming cruises ,but all were gone or didn't have any.

We were in a Mini-Suite on the Sun last year on deck 11, 2 suites from the bow and didn't find any probs. at all with the motion, in fact what little motion there was, it was perfect for falling asleep to. Enjoy your cruise no matter where you decide to stay.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks everyone so much for your help and advice. I'm so glad I joined these boards. I found my TA through ************* and she was almost $1,000 cheaper than any other price I had gotten for this particular cruise. i had to go with her it was too good to pass up. She is an amex travel agent and gets blocks of rooms which is why we were able to get it a little less. This is probably what happened with the room which I believe someone mentioned. I guess this is what you have to deal with.

We are still in limbo. Trying to confirm those sideways rooms but my have missed that opportunity. They are sending us back down to deck 5. Yikes what did I do? I will post and let everyone know what happened.

I am also not sure what that means. My only idea is if the room was close to an elevator maybe they gave it to a cruiser who is older or possibly disabled. The only other idea would be if the room was damaged in some way that would make it unavailable....

In you original booking, all of the rooms in that area are 3 or 4 person rooms except for 5607, it is 2 person. Maybe that had something to do with it. None of these rooms are handicaped, so that's not it. Hope it works out.

I didn't have multiple cabins booked BUT my suite was mysteriously switched TO A HANDICAPPED SUITE a few months before the cruise we completed last week. I check all the time but had not seen it yet when I received an email from NCL telling me I was booked in a handicapped suite. I called my TA to let him know I wanted it switched back to the suite we chose which was still available. He said his agency didn't change it but NCL stated they switched it because we were in a handicapped suite. Now we were switched TO a handicapped suite - not FROM one and did not want or need the handicapped suite. We ended up moving down the hall from the original once I read that the jogging track was right over it. The suite we moved to (12522) on the Star was under the stairs to the Bier Garten so we heard people running down them and then jumping onto the lower deck right above us until around 1 am. DH also heard them dropping loungers into the deck above us around 6 am each day. I only heard it once. It wasn't too bad so we didn't complain. We are booked in the same suite on the Dawn except Starboard in December (12022).

handicap rooms are the sideway rooms on deck 8 (obstructed ocean view rooms)

eight of the Oceanview sideways ones on deck eight of the Gem are accessible cabins, eight others are not.

the OP has booked inside cabins...the accessible insides are near the aft stairs, they are not side by side and would not interest the OP.

Look closely at the deck plans and you can see the differences.

Archived