Help with Cruise Choice

topsey130

Hi All

Hope you can give me some honest advice, next year we looking to take our Daughter and Grandson (who will just have turned 2) on a cruise with us (her husband will be deployed over seas so something to take her mind off his absence!).

We are firstly undecided on which cruise line, having sailed with Thomson before it is a toss up between Thomson and Island at the moment

We are thinking of either two cabins or a suite, as we will all need our own space. So any advice would be welcome.

I understand that all Dining (other than the specialty paid for restaurant) is buffet?? Do the buffets feel like restaurants or more like works canteen, as to us a dinner is something we look forward to as an event rather than just being fed.

Is the ship family friendly, i know at 2 our grandson will be too young for the children clubs but would not like to feel in the way in regard to dining and evening entertainment

How casual is casual on the IE, we felt comfortable on the Thomson Spirit, but anything rather more casual than that i think i would feel out of place as i just don't do casual very well, sorry i am a girly girl and love dressing up as does DH - though not in a dress:D as does daughter.

My other concerns are, and this is only by reading the reviews that IE is a little like marmite, its in poor condition (thinking overnight ferry)etc etc., i would hate for my daughters first experience of cruising to be a negative one so hence this post for a truer reflection from those who know

Also being the nice parents we are (and after one two many glasses of the old vino) offered to pay:) so looking for the best value as well

Hi All

Hope you can give me some honest advice, next year we looking to take our Daughter and Grandson (who will just have turned 2) on a cruise with us (her husband will be deployed over seas so something to take her mind off his absence!).

Took our Grandaughter who was 2 last year on the Island Escape..staff made here more than welcome in all the dining rooms and also in the Childrens play centre.

We are firstly undecided on which cruise line, having sailed with Thomson before it is a toss up between Thomson and Island at the moment

Have been on 2 Thomson Cruises and 11 Island Escape? enough said :D

We are thinking of either two cabins or a suite, as we will all need our own space. So any advice would be welcome.

2 cabins next door to each other

I understand that all Dining (other than the specialty paid for restaurant) is buffet?? Do the buffets feel like restaurants or more like works canteen, as to us a dinner is something we look forward to as an event rather than just being fed.

Island Restaurant feels like a real Restaurant...Beachcomber basic but more than enough for our granddaughter but most of the time we took her into the Oasis where the waiters spoilt her rotten.

Is the ship family friendly, i know at 2 our grandson will be too young for the children clubs but would not like to feel in the way in regard to dining and evening entertainment

As above enjoy having your Grand children spoilt very nice chairs for the kids

How casual is casual on the IE, we felt comfortable on the Thomson Spirit, but anything rather more casual than that i think i would feel out of place as i just don't do casual very well, sorry i am a girly girl and love dressing up as does DH - though not in a dress:D as does daughter.

Very Causual..;) but dress as needed

My other concerns are, and this is only by reading the reviews that IE is a little like marmite, its in poor condition (thinking overnight ferry)etc etc., i would hate for my daughters first experience of cruising to be a negative one so hence this post for a truer reflection from those who know.

Im Biased....just go and enjoy it..it's not the queen mary but a very nice ambience and feel.

Also being the nice parents we are (and after one two many glasses of the old vino) offered to pay:) so looking for the best value as well

Thats what I done last year ..for 8 of us :eek:

Hope this help :)

Thanks for that RebelRouser, i seem to be edging more towards IE, what itinerary did you do??

And any tips on location of cabins to book (quiet for Grand Child and fairly stable for me)

Topsey, have done all that IE Itinerary's apart from the one we are going on the 1st week of this year Tangier's etc.

Midships deck 5 or 6 ;) away from the lift area's

Now I've typed all this you better go on the Island Escape or I will lose my commission :D

We have done six Thomson cruises and tried IE for the first time last year and loved it....the only thing we missed was the waiter service in the dining room....but as RR says you can dine in the Oasis restaurant if you want that (at a cost though) ....however although the Island Restaurant is self serve it does have table clothes and waiters to bring your wine, clear the table, etc. so its sort of semi waiter service!!

We felt that the entertainment was slightly better than Thomson as they have more 'imported' entertainment with singers and comedians, as well as a showteam.

Our cabin was a bit crummy but it was clean and comfortable....and some of the Thomson ones are a bit crummy anyway!

When it comes to dress....well you can dress up if you want to ...not ballgowns, but I wore silky trousers and glittery/dressy tops most evenings I really don't think it matters what you wear, but perhaps just what you would wear on a nice meal out at home. :)

Thanks Jenny wren and RR

Am now in the process of playing the agents off against each other to get a good price, looking like Souks and Sangria 1st Oct 2013, what do you think??? or should we go a mid September??

It was the Souks and Sangria itinerary that attracted us in the first place...just that bit different from the normal West Med cruises....and the weather should still be good beginning of October..:)

We actually found the best price on Thomson website ...prices seem to be higher at weekends and lower Tues, Wed, Thurs...:)

Have just booked, but have ended up on the Thomson Dream, offer to good to refuse (think they may have given me the wrong price ;) ) I am going to keep my eye on the souks and sangria sailings next year and if a good last minute deal comes up I think me and DH are going to give it a try :)

Archived