Shore Excursions - where do you meet?

flyingv4me

Dumb question from a first time cruiser: :o I sign up for shore excursions, both ship sponsored and non. How do I know where to go and when? Does Celebrity give you written instructions in your cabin? Do they make announcements on the PA? Once you leave the ship, how do you know where to meet your group? I just want to make sure I don't "miss the boat," so to speak!

Thanks for your help!

Ships excursions are easy -- on the ticket there is a meeting point specified, often the theater or one of the other public lounges, or sometimes on shore, just as you leave the ship (look for the tour staff holding what they call "lollipops" -- round signs with a number or name on them). They tell you to be there around 15 minutes ahead of time.

Celebrity does not make announcements over the PA unless it is a tender port. If it is a tender situation, you go to the theater or other lounge, get a tender ticket, and they call out which tickets may board in order, until the crush is over and then they make an announcement that tickets are no longer needed and you may go ashore at your leisure.

For private excursions, the tour operator should give you complete instructions, as well.

Dumb question from a first time cruiser: :o I sign up for shore excursions, both ship sponsored and non. How do I know where to go and when? Does Celebrity give you written instructions in your cabin? Do they make announcements on the PA? Once you leave the ship, how do you know where to meet your group? I just want to make sure I don't "miss the boat," so to speak!

Thanks for your help!

Don't worry in terms of the ship sponsored excursions. You'll be told where to meet, on board the ship. Last month, on the Eclipse, folks going on ship-sponsored excursions were instructed to meet at a specific time in the theatre. There, you got a ticket for a specified group number, and left when your group number was called. We were very impressed with how well the entire process was organized and how well it worked.

You are "on your own," so to speak, in arranging to meet a private tour operator. You will need to agree with them on a specific time (and place), based on when your ship arrives and leaving time for local authorities to clear the ship for disembarkation. The tour operators will usually be in a good position to suggest the meeting time and place, as this is what they do for a living.

If you have others going with you on a private shore excursion, I would strongly suggest you arrange with them to meet *on board* the ship at a time certain in a convenient place (the Martini Bar, for example, which will be quiet in the morning), so you can all get off together. There's nothing worse than getting off separately and standing around the dock wondering where someone else is and whether they are really going to show up.

Hey Flyingforme,

Do be very careful about purchasing non ship sponsored excursions because if the trip is late getting back to port, the ship WILL NOT WAIT for you. I've seen it on other cruises and it isn't fun.

Luckily for the late arrivals, the ship wasn't too far out from port so the people were able to hire a little boat to take them to the ship which only slowed down but didn't stop. So, be forewarned :eek:

Richard

Hey Flyingforme,

Do be very careful about purchasing non ship sponsored excursions because if the trip is late getting back to port, the ship WILL NOT WAIT for you. I've seen it on other cruises and it isn't fun.

Luckily for the late arrivals, the ship wasn't too far out from port so the people were able to hire a little boat to take them to the ship which only slowed down but didn't stop. So, be forewarned :eek:

Richard

Don't be scaring the newbie!!! Private tour operators make their living doing these trips and if they don't get the pax back to the ship on time, they won't be in business very long! You should discuss what time you want to be back on board (usually required 15-30 minutes before sailing) and make it clear to your guide. We like to be back on board at least an hour early.

The most frequent reason for people missing the ship is staying too long in Carlos 'n Charlies sampling the local rum! Or shopping!!!:eek:

Or not paying attention when they tell you that ship time and shore time are different -- which USUALLY isn't the case on Celebrity, but sometimes does happen. Recently ship time and shore time were different in Dover, England. Once in a while ship time and shore time are different in the Caribbean. MOST of the time, Celebrity has ship time match shore time, but that's not true on other lines.

Archived