Table requests in MDR

We have booked traditional dining(8pm seating) for on Independence cruise this coming January, primarily because we have a very particular special diet requirement and feel more comfortable having the same waiter each night. Because of this dietary need(we keep kosher, but it is a bit more involved than just eating the pre-packaged meals they can order), we'd also prefer to have a table just the two of us. It just makes it easier in case something gets mixed up, and it will also make us feel a little bit more comfortable versus being at a table with others with our special food :) Is there any way we can put in a request for a table for 2 before we actually get on the cruise, or do we need to wait to plead our case to the concierge or maitre d' when we arrive on board? I don't want to wait until we are on board only to be told that all of the tables for 2 have been requested!

I looked on the FAQ on the RCI website and couldn't find it. Thanks!!

Yes, you can. Send an e-mail request to RCLDining@rccl.com

explaining your situation and they'll do the best they can to accommodate your request. (Remember to include your ship, saildate, cabin number, reservation number).

We're sailing in 4 weeks and I already received my seating arrangement info and our table number.

Yes, you can. Send an e-mail request to RCLDining@rccl.com

explaining your situation and they'll do the best they can to accommodate your request. (Remember to include your ship, saildate, cabin number, reservation number).

We're sailing in 4 weeks and I already received my seating arrangement info and our table number.

We have done this twice in the past and gotten very good response. Both times they were able to "accomodate our request" and give us our table number early. However, we learned on this last cruise that often that can still be changed. I had been given my table number (a told it was a table for 2 as requested) about 2 months before my sail date. When we checked in and got our SeaPass cards I noticed the table number on there was different from what the email said. Well I'm a little OCD and had printed copies of the email with me. As soon as we got on the ship in February we went straight to the dining room to see our table assignment...imagine my surprise when we discovered we were seated at a table for 6! Talked to the head person and "unfortunately the department had over promised table for 2's" and the best he could do was put us at a table for 4 where at that point we were the only people. Although unhappy, I know it wasn't his fault so we took the table for 4. When we got to dinner that night another couple was seated there, they also got messed up on the table for 2 and decided one other couple was better the 3 or 4! It was a little ackward at first, but after that first night it was like we had known each other for awhile and things were very comfortable. Our tablemate was Gluten Free so it was kind of nice our table got extra attention each night.

Just double check your assignement when you get there and understand that it's not the person you're seeing who's at fault if it isn't what the email person said it would be...its just a breakdown in communication between their corporate office and the ship.

Well I'm a little OCD and had printed copies of the email with me.

I hear ya - I'm the same way. I received a screen shot of the seating chart where I could see all our details inserted in the system. First thing I'll check on the S&S is the table number!;)

I will definitely double-check. In my email I tried to make it clear that this request wasn't just a "we want to be antisocial/we are so ~in love~ we want to stare into each other's eyes all night" type request, that we have a legitimate reason for doing so. Hopefully it sticks! It's just really not my idea of fun to have to explain to a bunch of strangers why we are ordering weird food off the menu that comes wrapped up in foil or comes wrapped in plastic over disposable airplane food-like tins, why we won't use the silverware they gave us, etc. We aren't embarrassed about keeping kosher, but it's our vacation! :)

I will definitely double-check. In my email I tried to make it clear that this request wasn't just a "we want to be antisocial/we are so ~in love~ we want to stare into each other's eyes all night" type request, that we have a legitimate reason for doing so. Hopefully it sticks! It's just really not my idea of fun to have to explain to a bunch of strangers why we are ordering weird food off the menu that comes wrapped up in foil or comes wrapped in plastic over disposable airplane food-like tins, why we won't use the silverware they gave us, etc. We aren't embarrassed about keeping kosher, but it's our vacation! :)

Fill in the Special Needs form, and include the details in the OTHER area. That's were they ask to detail food allergies, and while I know Kosher is not an Allergy, that would still be the correct area to mention your needs.

Fill in the Special Needs form, and include the details in the OTHER area. That's were they ask to detail food allergies, and while I know Kosher is not an Allergy, that would still be the correct area to mention your needs.
I see your point. People get so nosy. For me it's why am I sailing solo or my marital status. So RCCL has been great when I've asked for my own table. I just say "due to unpleasant past experiences" and leave it at that. I don't think they really want to hear everyone's story. They probably are content with the request and seeing about honoring it. I have to say that this particular dept. seems to be the one that's run the best at RCCL since I've never had a problem and always receive a timely response. I was surprised to see that they even show your table assignment.

IMO, the other reasons you mention are also legitimate. (I disagree that it's antisocial to prefer to dine only with your traveling companions because it doesn't mean that someone doesn't like meeting others and socializing at other times, just not during a structured dinner.) Your reason is certainly legitmate as well, but again IMO, not more or less so than others.

I can understand why you prefer not to deal with questions or wonder if tablemates think you are weird/odd. I wouldn't care to do that either. It didn't sound to me as if you are embarrassed about keeping kosher (of course you shouldn't be). It sounded like you were making a perfectly reasonable request to enjoy your vacation to the utmost. I hope you do!:)

beachchick

IMO, the other reasons you mention are also legitimate. (I disagree that it's antisocial to prefer to dine only with your traveling companions because it doesn't mean that someone doesn't like meeting others and socializing at other times, just not during a structured dinner.) Your reason is certainly legitmate as well, but again IMO, not more or less so than others.

I can understand why you prefer not to deal with questions or wonder if tablemates think you are weird/odd. I wouldn't care to do that either. It didn't sound to me as if you are embarrassed about keeping kosher (of course you shouldn't be). It sounded like you were making a perfectly reasonable request to enjoy your vacation to the utmost. I hope you do!:)

beachchick

If you don't mind me asking, although I respect your kosher decisions, I wasn't aware of the differance in silver ware? Could you enlighten me, and I mean this with the greatest of respect.

We have booked traditional dining(8pm seating) for on Independence cruise this coming January, primarily because we have a very particular special diet requirement and feel more comfortable having the same waiter each night. Because of this dietary need(we keep kosher, but it is a bit more involved than just eating the pre-packaged meals they can order), we'd also prefer to have a table just the two of us. It just makes it easier in case something gets mixed up, and it will also make us feel a little bit more comfortable versus being at a table with others with our special food :) Is there any way we can put in a request for a table for 2 before we actually get on the cruise, or do we need to wait to plead our case to the concierge or maitre d' when we arrive on board? I don't want to wait until we are on board only to be told that all of the tables for 2 have been requested!

I looked on the FAQ on the RCI website and couldn't find it. Thanks!!

Seriously, you can do what you think is best, but you can have the same wait staff with MTD also. My sis is Gluten Free and I am pretty much a vegitiarian, and they totally took care of us. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about MTD. We have done MTD since it started and ALWAYS have the same wait staff for our entire cruise.

I hope that your request will be honored. I just wanted to let you know that on our recent cruise we were seated at a table of 6 and 2 at our table kept kosher. It was never an issue.

Have a wonderful cruise

M

Seriously, you can do what you think is best, but you can have the same wait staff with MTD also. My sis is Gluten Free and I am pretty much a vegitiarian, and they totally took care of us. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about MTD. We have done MTD since it started and ALWAYS have the same wait staff for our entire cruise.

I talked to my husband prior to booking. It's not a burden to either of us to choose a time to eat and do it the traditional way, so it's no big deal :)

We have the kosher thing already put down, it was the table request I was worried about! There is actually a specific option in the drop-down box on the reservation website that specifies needing a kosher meal!

If you don't mind me asking, although I respect your kosher decisions, I wasn't aware of the differance in silver ware? Could you enlighten me, and I mean this with the greatest of respect.

I'd love to help you, but since we're not Jewish, I'm afraid I can't. One of my brother's best friends is Jewish orthodox and I think he once mentioned it has something to do with what the silverware might have been used for previously (non-kosher preparations, etc.).

beachchick

I'd love to help you, but since we're not Jewish, I'm afraid I can't. One of my brother's best friends is Jewish orthodox and I think he once mentioned it has something to do with what the silverware might have been used for previously (non-kosher preparations, etc.).

beachchick

That is basically it -- the concern that the utensils(and dishes, etc) have been used for non-kosher food previously, rendering the food no longer kosher. It's a little more complex than that(it makes a difference if you are eating hot food or cold among other things), but that's the basic reason :)

Archived