Ferry From Naples to Positano

gatorpuppy

Do be careful about the train from Salerno as you don't have a lot of options.

There is a regional train at 3:38 PM that gets to Naples at 4:18 and another at 4:21 arriving at 5:17. The "fallback" train would be the 5:12, arriving at 5:54. If you get into real trouble there is also an ES train at 5:39 that arrives at 6:15, but that's really cutting it too close for a 6:30 all-aboard time.

Do you specifically want to go to Salerno? Because you can take the SITA bus from Amalfi (or Positano) to Sorrento and then a train (Circumvesuviana) from Sorrento to Naples. It seems like the Sorrento-Naples trains runs pretty frequently.

We will be there in September and our plan is: Hydrofoil from Naples to Capril; hydrofoil from Capri to Positano; SITA bus from Positano to Sorrento; Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Naples.

I'm not bothered about Salerno. If Ravello then on to Naples was doable, that would be better. I think ferry to Sorrento then on to Positano would be good. From their it wouldn't matter as long as we get the bus down the coast to Amalfi.

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...
I just posted this in response to a similar question on another thread.

You can take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento, then from Sorrento to Positano.

From Positano to Amalfi you can use the SITA bus, and from Amalfi to Salerno a different SITA bus. At Salerno you can get the Trenitalia train back to Naples.

The Positano - Amalfi SITA bus schedule is here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/publi...pania/5070.pdf

The Amalfi - Salerno SITA bus schedule is here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/publi...pania/5120.pdf[/quoteD

Thanks so much for your help, Eurocruiser. We may do this on our next trip to Naples!

Edited by browneyes7

Just wanted to add a few thoughts about the Amalfi Coast where we have spent two vacations, driven the roads many times, used various ferries and hydrofoils, etc. Seeing the coast from the sea (on a ferry, hydrofoil, small boat, etc) is OK and it looks like any hilly coastline. But experiencing the Amalfi Drive (which is actually a 2 lane road that runs from near Sorrento to Amalfi and past to Salerno) is quite spectacular. If you drive the road in a large bus it can even be more spectacular because your height in the bus will often put you well above the guard rails/walls so it looks like you could go over the edge. As to driving it in a car, it really is an excellent road and very safe with excellent walls to keep any car (or bus) from going over the cliffs. Because of the walls it is actually less "exciting" in a car. We have driven the road many times (because we spent several weeks in hotels right along the road in Praiano) and its actually an easy drive and not nearly as scary as other roads in Italy such as one that runs from Como to Bellagio. There are multiple stopping places along the Amalfi Drive (some have vendors) which allow drivers (me) to take a break and enjoy the views. One very important issue for cruisers and tourists is that tour buses are not permitted to drive into the famous town of Positano. Positano has only a single main road (it is one-way and has one entrance and the exit is further down the Amalfi Drive) and is closed to all commercial buses except for the regional SITA and local Orange colored buses. So those who book cruise line excursions (on buses) expecting to see Positano will only get a view of the city from above but will not be able to experience, walk, shop, or eat in Positano. Personally we think this is a shame and is made worse by the fact that many cruise line tour offices do not clearly disclose this fact. They will often say something like "You will see Positano" which is technically correct..but also somewhat deceptive.

Hank

• 4 months later...
Just wanted to add a few thoughts about the Amalfi Coast where we have spent two vacations, driven the roads many times, used various ferries and hydrofoils, etc. Seeing the coast from the sea (on a ferry, hydrofoil, small boat, etc) is OK and it looks like any hilly coastline. But experiencing the Amalfi Drive (which is actually a 2 lane road that runs from near Sorrento to Amalfi and past to Salerno) is quite spectacular. If you drive the road in a large bus it can even be more spectacular because your height in the bus will often put you well above the guard rails/walls so it looks like you could go over the edge. As to driving it in a car, it really is an excellent road and very safe with excellent walls to keep any car (or bus) from going over the cliffs. Because of the walls it is actually less "exciting" in a car. We have driven the road many times (because we spent several weeks in hotels right along the road in Praiano) and its actually an easy drive and not nearly as scary as other roads in Italy such as one that runs from Como to Bellagio. There are multiple stopping places along the Amalfi Drive (some have vendors) which allow drivers (me) to take a break and enjoy the views. One very important issue for cruisers and tourists is that tour buses are not permitted to drive into the famous town of Positano. Positano has only a single main road (it is one-way and has one entrance and the exit is further down the Amalfi Drive) and is closed to all commercial buses except for the regional SITA and local Orange colored buses. So those who book cruise line excursions (on buses) expecting to see Positano will only get a view of the city from above but will not be able to experience, walk, shop, or eat in Positano. Personally we think this is a shame and is made worse by the fact that many cruise line tour offices do not clearly disclose this fact. They will often say something like "You will see Positano" which is technically correct..but also somewhat deceptive.

Hank

Thanks for info

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

;)Anybody ever done it this way? I.e. back to Sorrento by Taxi and know about how much? Also was it too much rushing?

yes; a couple of americans drove with a pair of Canadians nee Ireland...

300 euros 8am until 12am

our driver is Angel