Hawaii with kids?

sbhdmh

We are thinking of doing a 7 night NCL Hawaii cruise late July/early August with our 7 year old daughter. I am looking for input from anyone who has done this one with kids. Any suggestions for activities? We aren't the types to just hang out on the beach so I really hope to find some leads on good activities and who to use rather than relying on ship excursions. I know she would love to try a hula lesson, learn to surf, attend a luau, see a volcano, etc. Nothing too strenuous as my 76 year old mother will be along with us.

Ports are:

Honolulu, Oahu, HI

Kahului, Maui, HI (overnight)

Hilo, Hawaii, HI

Kona, Hawaii, HI

Nawiliwili, Kauai, HI (overnight)

Honolulu, Oahu, HI

Thanks in advance!

We are thinking of doing a 7 night NCL Hawaii cruise late July/early August with our 7 year old daughter. I am looking for input from anyone who has done this one with kids. Any suggestions for activities? We aren't the types to just hang out on the beach so I really hope to find some leads on good activities and who to use rather than relying on ship excursions. I know she would love to try a hula lesson, learn to surf, attend a luau, see a volcano, etc. Nothing too strenuous as my 76 year old mother will be along with us.

Ports are:

Honolulu, Oahu, HI

Kahului, Maui, HI (overnight)

Hilo, Hawaii, HI

Kona, Hawaii, HI

Nawiliwili, Kauai, HI (overnight)

Honolulu, Oahu, HI

Thanks in advance!

Hilo is your port stop for the Kilauea volcano (the active one). It is very easy to rent a car and drive to Volcanoes National Park, about 45 minutes away. Luaus take place in the evening, so either in Maui or Kauai or before or after your cruise. You ARE staying a few days before or after, right? ;) Honolulu is your best bet for surfing lessons.

I see you have an overnight in Maui. I would recommend going to a Luau. There is one very close to the tender pier in town. When our daughter was the age of yours we did this Honolulu and she loved it.

If you arrive before the cruise consider the Hilton Hawaiian Village. When they were young we stayed there. Each night there would be a ceremony with dancing and our daughter loved it. It is a very nice property and there is an area with penguins. The property has a few different hotel towers.

Keith

We did the two week cruise on Princess twice (the last one was one of my all time favorite vacations!). The first time we were in Honolulu, we went to Sea Life Park. It's a low key version of Sea World in a way. We also went to the beach on Kauai (there's free shuttles from the pier to a shopping center that's within walking distance). Went on a snorkeling trip off of Lahaina. Went on an all day tour of the northeast part of the Big Island that especially featured waterfalls. My daughter, 8 at the time, isn't into sight seeing, but she did enjoy that tour, even asked questions of the guide/driver.

The next time, she was 13 and she wanted more input into what we did. I gave her brochures for each port and incorporated some of her choices. A trip to the Big Island Candy Factory (didn't buy anything there but did buy some candy at another candy store across from the waterfront) in Hilo, plus a trip to the Prince Kuhlo shopping center, Hilo Hattie's, etc. We went to the Ala Moana shopping center in Honolulu (on three previous times in Hawaii and never been), a walk to the Hawaiian Hilton (where hubby and I had honeymooned) with play time in the lagoon for the girl. My daughter wanted to go to the jodo near Lahaina, which has the biggest Buddha outside of Asia. And back to the same beach in Kauai. Just a summary -- we did a lot more.

On the Golden, I took part in some of the Hawaiian activities onboard (a musical duo named Elua makes sure it's a very Aloha experience).

Thanks so much for all the info. Yes, we will go a few days ahead of time so we can adjust to the time change and spend some time in and around Honolulu. Since this cruise is so port intensive DD is concerned that she won't get enough time in the kids club. (She LOVES sea days!) Did your kids have enough time to enjoy the actual cruise? I just want to prepare her if it's going to be very different from others she has been on. Also since it is so port intensive any opinions on whether it's worth the extra cost for a balcony or should we just stick with an OV and plan to splurge on all the great activities on shore?

We are going to Hawaii and I have to say that it is one of the best vacations for families. Kids love the Luaus and the flowers and the beautiful water. I wouldn't want to do a cruise because Hawaii is about beaches, relaxation, fragrant flowers and scenery.

I have not done the Norwegian cruise but I heard bad things from my sister who did do it. She "hated" it.

Most people head to the smaller islands but I loved Honolulu. Waikiki Beach is great and there is so much to do on Honolulu. We rented a car and drove all around Oahu. Its a great island. The public beaches there are sort of "sketchy" though. I didn't feel safe at the public beach in Honolulu. Stick to the resort beaches.

My aunt lived on Maui and I have been there numerous times and it is gorgeous.

I spent a few days on the Big Island of Hawaii and it is very interesting but the beaches are lava/ black sand and I am a beach person. So would not go back there.

I've sailed Hawaii twice (though not with NCL), and LOVED it each time. I always ported in Lahaina on Maui, so I've never been to Kahului, but if you happen to have a car, I HIGHLY recommend going to Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau. Excellent show, great food, wonderful location. The one thing I regret not doing on Maui was either a bike ride down Haleakala, or watching the sunrise from Haleakala's summit. It's supposed to be exquisite (but very, very cold). That would probably be a lovely family activity for you.

Kona is an absolutely beautiful area to walk and wander about, and there are a ton of activities that you can sign up for in port - there are always snorkeling, parasailing, surfing lessons, you name it. Locals are superfriendly, and will be happy to help you and your family out. We did a kayak/snorkel ship excursion the first time we were in Kona, and it was spectacular (but tiring!).

The main reason people go to Hilo is for Volcano National Park. Any taxi can pick you up at the dock and take you to it - just be sure to arrange a pick up when you're through. There's a Visitor's Center, and the Jagger Museum, both of which are very interesting. We opted for a strenuous 6 mile hike out into the lava fields, and it was great, but definitely not for young kids or anyone getting on in years (we still have a photo of the bottom melting off of someone's shoe).

There is almost nothing around the port in Nawiliwili, so defintely either book an excursion through the ship, or rent a car.

If you have time to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu, that's probably your best bet for a real hula lesson - I still have memories of my first hula lesson at the PCC at the ripe old age of 7. ;)

It's a GREAT place for families, and you'll have a wonderful time!

Archived