where do I go for up to date info on passport requirements?

Rainbowfalls

Hi, I know this has probably been asked before and I am sorry if it has, but I did try looking in history and google searching answers before asking here. :o

I tried the travel.state.gov site but couldn't find any information about passports and cruises. :( I looked on the bahama section there also and nothing. unless I just am blind and skipped it which is possible due to my glasses being broke but thats another story.

Anyways help please :)

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html#entry_requirements

See Travel By Sea

It is on the Bahamas section, part of the way down

Personally, I'd get a passport

Thank you :) I did read that part but it doesnt say really if on a closed loop cruise you can take bc or not. I dont really want to get a passport at least not this year due to financial resons. I just wanna make sure that I stay current though in case it does change and I have enough time to get one.

I =think= an official copy of your bc -- with the embossed seal -- and a driver's license is OK on a closed loop cruise, like FL to Bahamas and back. At least it used to be. I've had a passport for so long, I haven't stayed up to date on it.

However, when asked, a lot of cruisers recommend a passport in case of emergency. For instance, what if something happens and you have to leave the ship and fly home. You'll most likely need a passport for that.

A lot of people recommend a passport (I have one, my boyfriend doesnt). If you feel that it is not right for you right now due to finances or anything else, then do not get one. If you feel comfortable traveling without one then go for it you will have no trouble as far as coming and going. On both of our cruise my BF just used a photo ID and his BC and was absolutely fine.

Thank you :) I did read that part but it doesnt say really if on a closed loop cruise you can take bc or not. I dont really want to get a passport at least not this year due to financial resons. I just wanna make sure that I stay current though in case it does change and I have enough time to get one.

Even though you are beginning your cruise from the U.S. and ending it in the U.S., IF you should be unfortunate to have a serious illness or accident at sea and need to be FLOWN back to the U.S. for treatment, you have to have a passport. I heard of one person who suffered a heart attack at sea without a passport and had to be treated in the Bahamas instead of Miami.

Archived