A Lotus at Sea: My cruise experience (Carnival Pride, 5/27/12 - 6/3/12)

lotusbogardi

It is generally a bad idea to wear contact lenses in the water, so hubby and I both wore our glasses. I was afraid to lose mine (Only had them two months), and I ended up putting them on the dock. Uncorrected my vision is worse than 20/200. I probably should have kept my glasses on. Out in the lagoon with Cayla (my dolphin), it seemed like there was this magic bubble around me (Even though hubby was swimming out there with a dolphin too). For a time, all that existed was me and Cayla swimming in the lagoon as I murmured to her how beautiful I thought she was. I think Cayla realized that I couldn’t see very well, so when I got out to where she considered to be too far, she would nudge me over and turn me back toward the group. Connor noticed this and asked if I was having fun “walking my dolphin”. I called back that I thought the dolphin was walking me.

Hey Jeannie!! LOVED your review - you made me laugh quite a few times, and actually got choked up at the above line - because that is exactly how I felt too! I'm so glad you both got to do the swim - it's an experience of a lifetime to be out there just interacting with them however you want!

Great review Lotus!

I did a video of our trip but now feel the need to fill in details in a review as well.

We had such a great time and we WILL be doing this trip again.

I'll do a review this weekend complete with pics and all. We did a few different things that we would love to share with everyone.

Stay tuned!

I'm so glad you both got to do the swim - it's an experience of a lifetime to be out there just interacting with them however you want!

It will definitely have to be repeated! Also, I think I may have to buy a swim mask next time so that I can wear my contact lenses and be able to see! That will allow me to swim underwater comfortably. I usually swim in a much smaller pool.

I didn't realize that there were so many different types of swim goggles/masks!

I enjoyed your review. Although we never met I recognized you on the ship from seeing your pictures on here, but I was too shy to say hi. I have the cruise blues and can't wait to go back....again great review and loved the pictures of the birds.:)

I also liked your report very much. I learned so much (e.g. very small bottle of liquor might fit in bra). We are sailing on the Pride in September. Although we've been on 5 cruises where a Dolphin Swim was an option, it never appealed to me until I read your account. Thank you

I enjoyed your review. Thanks for taking the time.

The third group had apparently signed up for the open ocean swim, but were unable to do that because of the choppiness of the water.

Did this group get to do a swim like you did? Or did they get a refund? My girlfriend is booked to do Open Ocean Swim in August, but I am concerned about what happens if they are unable to go out.

Thanks.

I really loved your review and pictures. The girls are adorable and those dresses they're wearing are beautiful. I am heading back to the Pride for the 4th time in Sept. (only a 30-40 min. ride to port) but even without the advantage of sailing from so close to home, I would gladly sail on the Pride again and again. I love how easy it was to get around the decks.

Again, thanks for the great report.

I enjoyed your review. Thanks for taking the time.

Did this group get to do a swim like you did? Or did they get a refund? My girlfriend is booked to do Open Ocean Swim in August, but I am concerned about what happens if they are unable to go out.

Thanks.

The third group got kind of a hybrid. They got a partial refund and a much smaller swim-type experience. There was only four people in the group, so they each stayed longer in the water with the dolphins, and I think that enclosure was bigger.

I also liked your report very much. I learned so much (e.g. very small bottle of liquor might fit in bra). We are sailing on the Pride in September. Although we've been on 5 cruises where a Dolphin Swim was an option, it never appealed to me until I read your account. Thank you

I am glad you liked it!

The "Very Small" bottle referenced was a 100ml bottle. It was glass and had a plastic top. The way I am built, it was easily for me to conceal, but someone who is less generously proportioned may not find it so easy.

The third group got kind of a hybrid. They got a partial refund and a much smaller swim-type experience. There was only four people in the group, so they each stayed longer in the water with the dolphins, and I think that enclosure was bigger.

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you were pleased with your Port Canaveral car rental through Budget. I have a car reserved for $35 including taxes which I think is reasonable, but I have never used a shuttle service and want to allow enough time. How smooth was that process? Will all 4 of us be able to take the shuttle?

Thanks!

Thanks very much for a nice review. We were on the Pride last May, and are booked again for December and I can't get enough reading about people's experiences on her. We did the Dolphin experience rather than the swim but it is still amazing being around them. If you think of anything else be sure to post it.

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you were pleased with your Port Canaveral car rental through Budget. I have a car reserved for $35 including taxes which I think is reasonable, but I have never used a shuttle service and want to allow enough time. How smooth was that process? Will all 4 of us be able to take the shuttle?

Thanks!

We actually had a little mishap in that we took our time getting off the ship and our shuttle driver left for the morning. The avis shuttle driver took us as a favor. So, while you don't have to be the first person off the ship, don't be the last! We tipped him well.

The shuttle is a small bus that can probably fit 25 people total.

~Grammatical errors? spelling mistakes? nonsensical sentences? Don't blame me, blame tapatalk! ~

I am totally enjoying your review...but I have a question. Was your "swim the dolphin" excursion booked through Carnival or independently. Thanks!!

We did our dolphin swim in Freeport through UNEXSO. UNEXSO has a contract with Carnival, so any slots available while the ship is in port are sold to Carnival. I would have gone through carnival even if it wasn't because we had so little time in port that I didn't want to take any chances.

~Grammatical errors? spelling mistakes? nonsensical sentences? Don't blame me, blame tapatalk! ~

• 7 months later...

Hi, we just got off the Carnival Conquest this past Sunday and we had Saka the third night with anytime dining and liked his service so much that we requested him for the remainder of the cruise. We forgot to take a picture with him. Do you still have the picture you posted on this thread last year?

Thanks!

Archived