2014 bookings

christa

Has anyone heard when they will start 2014 bookings? And is it true the best prices (for non-Florida residents) are when the cruise dates are first released?

Thanks

Generally, for most cruiselines, prices are lowest when the itineraries are first released. As the space fills, prices go up. Occasionally, (read that as rarely) there are last minute deal available on some cruiselines, but usually with many restrictrictions.

As to when???? The last rumor I heard was (maybe) by October. :rolleyes:

:)

Just talked with the future cruise agent on the Magic this past Saturday. She said 2014 would be out close to the end of the year.

The Magic cruises out of NYC were quite high when first released. I think Disney miscalculated the pricing! Prices did not budge in a year and a half and in fact, there are discounts being offered on some of the NYC cruises. A lot also depends on time of year - (in general) forget getting a great deal around the holidays or in the summers.

Thanks for the info! I was trying to research 2014 cruises, but realized online that they're aren't posted yet. Guess it is kinda early. I just wanted to look around since we'd like to book our next cruise while onboard. Never done it before.

We just returned from the Fantasy, and booked a "ghost booking" for 2014 while on the ship. The agent said the itineraries should be out in September or October.

With any other cruise line I would say to wait until 90 days before the cruise to book, but with DCL I would say book it as soon as it comes out. Prices never seem to drop. If by some magic they do, and you are within the cancellation window, you can always ask for an adjustment.

We just returned from the Fantasy, and booked a "ghost booking" for 2014 while on the ship. The agent said the itineraries should be out in September or October.

With any other cruise line I would say to wait until 90 days before the cruise to book, but with DCL I would say book it as soon as it comes out. Prices never seem to drop. If by some magic they do, and you are within the cancellation window, you can always ask for an adjustment.

Can you explain how this "Ghost Booking" works. I've never heard of this but would like to do this on my Oct. Fantasy cruise if the itineraries are not out when we cruise.

How did they know how much to charge for the down payment. Did you just pick any date or one close to the time you want to cruise? Did they give you the on board credit?

Any other info on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Simplealman

Keep it Simple and You will Never be Disappointed

Can you explain how this "Ghost Booking" works. I've never heard of this but would like to do this on my Oct. Fantasy cruise if the itineraries are not out when we cruise.

How did they know how much to charge for the down payment. Did you just pick any date or one close to the time you want to cruise? Did they give you the on board credit?

That's the answer.:)

Deposit is ten percent.

We booked a "placeholder" booking while on the Fantasy in May 2012 and we were given a Dec 2013 3 night cruise date with a GTY cabin assignment. It used to be called "dummy booking", then some folks called it "ghost booking", but in fact it is a "placeholder booking" to be transferred to a future cruise when the dates become available.You maintain the onboard credit and you still can apply the 10% to the actual fare when you chose your real dates.

Has anyone heard when they will start 2014 bookings? And is it true the best prices (for non-Florida residents) are when the cruise dates are first released?

Thanks

Disney's prices are always the same no matter when you book...The only thing you might run into is if the lower priced category that you want is booked, you have to book a higher priced cabin. We booked our cruise to Alaska in March and the price hasn't changed.

Disney's prices are always the same no matter when you book...The only thing you might run into is if the lower priced category that you want is booked, you have to book a higher priced cabin. We booked our cruise to Alaska in March and the price hasn't changed.

Not true. As with most cruiselines, the prices are lowest when bookings first open. As the space fills, the prices go up. Some sailings have had dramatic price increases within hours of bookings being opened(usually the longer, special cruises). Others, take several months for the prices to rise.

We booked a "placeholder" booking while on the Fantasy in May 2012 and we were given a Dec 2013 3 night cruise date with a GTY cabin assignment. It used to be called "dummy booking", then some folks called it "ghost booking", but in fact it is a "placeholder booking" to be transferred to a future cruise when the dates become available.You maintain the onboard credit and you still can apply the 10% to the actual fare when you chose your real dates.

Ok, I have a question about the above. So you just tell them that you want to cruise in 2014 and they GIVE you a date? I'm confused. If I said I wanted to cruise in February 2014 how much could I deviate from that date? :o

Ok, I have a question about the above. So you just tell them that you want to cruise in 2014 and they GIVE you a date? I'm confused. If I said I wanted to cruise in February 2014 how much could I deviate from that date? :o

You tell them you want to book a future cruise but the itineraries have not been released yet. Common names for such reservations are dummy or placeholder bookings. The CM at the future cruise desk will book a cruise as far out as possible (i.e. 12/3/13) at the current rate minus the 10%. You pay the 10% deposit. When the new itineraries are released you or your TA will move the dummy booking from the original date to whichever sailing you choose (in your case February 2014). You will most likely need to pay an additional deposit since the cruise you really want will be a different price and/or length than the dummy you booked onboard.

You can continue to move a dummy booking as long as you do it before the paid in full date for the cruise booked.

HTH

Be careful with booking ghost bookings. If you are going to want to do a 7 day cruise, book a 7 day cruise (not a 3 day because it's cheaper). The on board credit you will receive depends on the original booking. So if you book a future 3 day while on board but then change it to a 7 day, you only get the 3 day on board credit offer.

Be careful with booking ghost bookings. If you are going to want to do a 7 day cruise, book a 7 day cruise (not a 3 day because it's cheaper). The on board credit you will receive depends on the original booking. So if you book a future 3 day while on board but then change it to a 7 day, you only get the 3 day on board credit offer.

This isn't correct. The OBC reflects the actual sailing that you are on. I had a 3 day dummy cruise booked for Dec '13 and switched it to a 7 day Aug '13 and the OBC reflects that.

Then it must be a case of different answers depending on which Disney CM you talk to. We had a 4 day dummy and moved it to a 7 day mediterranean and were only able to get the 4 day OBC. I asked the CM repeatedly and that was the answer I was given.

You tell them you want to book a future cruise but the itineraries have not been released yet. Common names for such reservations are dummy or placeholder bookings. The CM at the future cruise desk will book a cruise as far out as possible (i.e. 12/3/13) at the current rate minus the 10%. You pay the 10% deposit. When the new itineraries are released you or your TA will move the dummy booking from the original date to whichever sailing you choose (in your case February 2014). You will most likely need to pay an additional deposit since the cruise you really want will be a different price and/or length than the dummy you booked onboard.

You can continue to move a dummy booking as long as you do it before the paid in full date for the cruise booked.

HTH

Wow. That seems so complicated (to me anyway :o) to book my next cruise. I'd worry about every little thing that could somehow get messed up. I just don't know if it's worth the 10% for my peace of mind. That probably sounds silly.

I really appreciate the info though. It's a little clearer to me now. :D

I did notice that for the Alaska cruise this year. In general the prices are higher than a year ago. Our Fantasy trip for 4 last week was for $7000 for a 4A category last June 2011 when we booked and was $11,500 a month ago. Our future Mediterranean cruise for 2013 is $1500 more than the initial booking and it has been 3 months since we booked.

I booked my 8 day Disney cruise out of NYC the day it was open to the public at 9AM when it was available to make reservations.. My friend booked the same level cabin a week later and paid $1,000 more. I just went to book the same cruise and same level to see the price and it is now $1,400 more. This is my 1st Disney cruise but have sailed on RCL and Carnival. I definately agree with booking as soon as the sailings are available as you can see above there is a $1,400 difference.

I was on the 5 night Dream this past March and we booked when dates came out in October 2010. I booked a 6A verandah on deck 9 for a total of $1,950. that price was for 2 of us, not per person. I jumped on that price. within a month of me booking the price went up so much.

I'm now looking to book the Fantasy for May 2014 so I will be checking just about every day come Septembe/October in hopes of getting another great day.

• 5 months later...

So, do they open up the 2014 dates on the Disney Cruise line website and for travel agents all at the same time? Or are the dates opened up first for special people (VIP's, vacation club members, etc) or travel agents? We are looking to book a Disney Cruise for Feb or March 2014. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So, do they open up the 2014 dates on the Disney Cruise line website and for travel agents all at the same time? Or are the dates opened up first for special people (VIP's, vacation club members, etc) or travel agents? We are looking to book a Disney Cruise for Feb or March 2014. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AFAIK, any itineraries that are the same as previous years will open to everyone on the same day. Any NEW itineraries (not new home port, new ITINERARIES) are offered to Platinum and Gold Castaway Club members a few days earlier than the opening day for everyone.

I just received one of those email bursts from Cruise Industry News that Disney has just released their 2014 deployment. However, when I go to their website I don't see 2014. How long after announcing deployment do they allow bookings?

Archived