Mid 30's gay couple sailing on HAL? Thoughts?

maxamuus

My partner and I feel more comfortable on HAL compared to other cruise lines. The guests are much more sophisticated and seem to be more friendly. I enjoy taking cruises but sometimes when I take a cheaper cruise, on other lines, I feel there is more ignorance and less sophistication. With that in mind if the cruise costs more regardless the cruise line you'll find a better class of people. I don't mean to pre judge but I have often felt less comfortable on cheaper cruises. For example we took a Royal Caribbean cruise last week and we got a great deal for a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. We ended up spending 129$ each. Unfortunately I felt that our dinning guests were not friendly and they ignored us. It made the total experience not so great. It wasn't the fault of Royal Caribbean it's just that I personally would not recommend cheap cruises.

I hope that help

Daniel

That's the main reason we book the "premium" lines. I've seen the pax getting off a "booze cruise" & it wasn't pretty. These type of cruises are short(5 days or less)& cater to those of lesser means. Yeah, I'm sure to take a hit, but it's true, so there! We prefer the longer cruises(10 days & up)Usually, you have a more sophisticated crowd. They may not like us much either, but they're less willing to show their ignorance/stupidity.

That's the main reason we book the "premium" lines. I've seen the pax getting off a "booze cruise" & it wasn't pretty. These type of cruises are short(5 days or less)& cater to those of lesser means. Yeah, I'm sure to take a hit, but it's true, so there! We prefer the longer cruises(10 days & up)Usually, you have a more sophisticated crowd. They may not like us much either, but they're less willing to show their ignorance/stupidity.

Wow how much truth is there in this post!

I think the shorter/cheap cruises do tend to attract a higher percentage of people who may be likely to spend more on their bar tab than they did on the cruise. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I may have done that a couple of times myself. But that's not what I'm into these days. And I don't want to be on cruises with mostly those kinds of passengers. There are cruises for you if that's what you want.

After my last cruise, I "friended" someone from our cruise on Facebook, so we could share pictures. Well, she was posting all this stuff about "taking back OUR country" from the Democratic majority that existed at that time. I just couldn't believe she had been so nice to my face, knowing I was gay, and there with my boyfriend. OK, maybe her "social views" were more liberal, but I'm sorry, if you're supporting Republicans, you are supporting their platform, which is against us.

After my last cruise, I "friended" someone from our cruise on Facebook, so we could share pictures. Well, she was posting all this stuff about "taking back OUR country" from the Democratic majority that existed at that time. I just couldn't believe she had been so nice to my face, knowing I was gay, and there with my boyfriend. OK, maybe her "social views" were more liberal, but I'm sorry, if you're supporting Republicans, you are supporting their platform, which is against us.

Gotcha. We met a really nice couple on a cruise. They had a gay son, but the dad (at least) is a Republican. Socially liberal, but all about "deregulating small business." My partner friended him and ended up with all the guy's friends posting rightwing claptrap on his wall, some of it anti-gay. Oh well, as they say, "You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose."

But then, I met this guy on Craigslist and post-nookie found out he was a gay Republican. He started grousing about how tough it was for Republicans in San Francisco, but once he started in on how Obama was "demonizing the successful" and how lazy welfare bums were ruining the country, it was pretty hard for me to sympathize.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I am back now from my 19 night solo cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Being 32 and very open I at first thought I would be the so called black sheep of the cruise.....was I wrong.

I found suburbia....errr I mean passengers welcoming and polite and never did I get asked why I "chose" to be gay.

As for the age difference, I had no problem in this regard - perhaps I had some assistance by growing up in a country club setting as discussions were reminiscent of same, especially during the happy hours.

Albeit that I am neither here nor there with respect to cruising HAL again (some service issues) I suggest that people should at least try it, most of the staff are amazing and accommodating and I believe that should a couple decide to cruise HAL they will be welcomed as I was.

Gotcha. We met a really nice couple on a cruise. They had a gay son, but the dad (at least) is a Republican. Socially liberal, but all about "deregulating small business." My partner friended him and ended up with all the guy's friends posting rightwing claptrap on his wall, some of it anti-gay. Oh well, as they say, "You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose."

But then, I met this guy on Craigslist and post-nookie found out he was a gay Republican. He started grousing about how tough it was for Republicans in San Francisco, but once he started in on how Obama was "demonizing the successful" and how lazy welfare bums were ruining the country, it was pretty hard for me to sympathize.

I'm actually a gay Rep. It's a blast getting these calls from the fundraisers & hearing their religious crap about us. I may be a Republican, but haven't found any I could vote for. Huntsman at least got my vote in the NH primary(for all the good it did)I don't love Obama's views on business & such, but he's got my vote considering Tweedle Dumb & Tweedle Dumber running as the Republican candidates.If the Rep.could dislodge the religious nuts that have a stranglehold, perhaps the party could avoid becoming obsolete.

• 3 months later...
I'm actually a gay Rep. It's a blast getting these calls from the fundraisers & hearing their religious crap about us. I may be a Republican, but haven't found any I could vote for. Huntsman at least got my vote in the NH primary(for all the good it did)I don't love Obama's views on business & such, but he's got my vote considering Tweedle Dumb & Tweedle Dumber running as the Republican candidates.If the Rep.could dislodge the religious nuts that have a stranglehold, perhaps the party could avoid becoming obsolete.

If the Republican party becomes obsolete, what will we have? A government funded by the Chinese supporting all the freeloaders.

No problems at all. Met much more interesting people than on our first Atlantis cruise earlier this year from Istanbul! We are a couple in our mid 40's and have ALWAYS enjoyed our HAL experiences (4 cruises). No one cares if you are gay. We danced together in the Northern Lights all the time and had a blast.

Archived