On Celebrity Canal Tour in St. Petersburg will we see the Church of Spilled Blood

We are doing the museum one day and a canal tour the next. Our big thing is to take photos of the church. Will we be able to see it. I have looked all over to see the location and can't find much info.

wW

We are doing the museum one day and a canal tour the next. Our big thing is to take photos of the church. Will we be able to see it. I have looked all over to see the location and can't find much info. wW

Hopefully for your two days in wonderful St. Petersburg, you will be able to see and do more, MUCH MORE, than just the museum one day and a canal tour the next. Any good private tour will allow you to see and do more, including hopefully the Peterhof gardens, Catherine's Palace, etc. On our one-hour canal tour, we ended at this Spilled Blood church. Then, we went inside. St. Issac's is also very different and spectacular. Below are some of my pictures on Spilled Blood. BUT, different canal tours will have their own schedules and arrangements. All canal boat tour are not always going to be doing the same. Tell us more on your overall two-day plan, etc. First visit to St. Petersburg and the Baltics?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,833 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 72,693 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Spilled Blood Church’s exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac:

1A-StP-ExtSpilledBld.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

This architectural feature covers the exact site where the Czar had been killed on this location now inside the Spilled Blood Church.:

1A-StP-Spilled5Bld.jpg

A tighter shot showing design details of wall art works in the Spilled Blood Church.:

1A-StP-Spilled4Bld.jpg

On the ceilings of the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, here are two different examples of its highly-detailed designs:

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

1A-StP-Spilled2Bld.jpg

Hopefully for your two days in wonderful St. Petersburg, you will be able to see and do more, MUCH MORE, than just the museum one day and a canal tour the next. Any good private tour will allow you to see and do more, including hopefully the Peterhof gardens, Catherine's Palace, etc. On our one-hour canal tour, we ended at this Spilled Blood church. Then, we went inside. St. Issac's is also very different and spectacular.....

I agree with Terry...you should be able to see MUCH more than just the Hermitage & canal tour. Furthermore, both of the churches that Terry mentions are very different & well worth a visit inside.

As I recall, we did not go by the Church on Spilled Blood for our canal tour. However, we did take a trip to the church & went inside (we also saw St. Issac's, Peter & Paul Fortress, Catherine Palace, Hermitage, Peterhof including hydrofoil ride, subway, shopping, farmer's market Yusopov Palace... On our two day tour, we took the Grand Tour with Alla Tours. It was magnificent.

Have you checked out the independent tours in SPB? There are several of them on cruise critic that get wonderful reviews. :)

jill

We are doing the museum one day and a canal tour the next. Our big thing is to take photos of the church. Will we be able to see it. I have looked all over to see the location and can't find much info.

wW

If your canal tour goes down the Griboedov canal you will see the CSB but as Jill and Terry say, take a tour that goes inside it from an independent company. No ship's tour (in St P) can remotely match what they offer, either in terms of price or what you can see in your limited time. Terry, that shot of the actual shrine is fantastic (as are the others), I haven't come across that one before and have already nicked and printed it off for my album :) There are more of yours than mine in it !

A bit more CSB info

All the best, Tony

Terry, that shot of the actual shrine is fantastic (as are the others), I haven't come across that one before and have already nicked and printed it off for my album. There are more of yours than mine in it ! All the best, Tony

Appreciate the nice comments and "borrowing" by Tony. Glad to be honored by your use and kind recognition.

Below are a few more of my pictures from this famed and spectacular location. Hard to believe that just one location could have this much great beauty and different views, architectural/religious beauty/art, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,833 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Showing the spectacular ceiling with the large hanging light chandeliers of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg:

StpSpBloodChandl.jpg

Jesus shown with the mosaic tile designs:

StpSpBloodJesus.jpg

More interior details along the sides within the Spilled Blood church:

StpSpBloodRelDecor.jpg

Even the floors are very unique and detailed in their designs:

StpSpBloodFloor.jpg

Some of the carved amber details inside the church:

StpSpBloodAmber.jpg

More detailed are designs on the ceilings:

StpSpBloodAppol.jpg

Archived