If my DH doesn't make the ship on time.....

shellgoodman

I've been on cruises that left FLL and added passengers in San Juan the first stop. Now I know San Juan is a territory and not a state. But I don't really see why the law would differ.

Isn't the law in this case more about if they all wanted off in Key west the first stop on a foreign flagged vessel?

San Juan and St. Thomas are exempt from the pvsa.

Maxiecat3 explanation was spot on.

Bill

My minor kids are booked in their own cabin next door to ours for our upcoming cruise...never had to have an adult booked in their cabin, so it can be done (as I think a pp said). If you call Carnival and they say differently, I would call back and speak to someone else.

I hope in the end none of this will be an issue, and your husband gets to join you for the whole cruise!

You won't have any problem. We were booked on the Legend and my inlays had to no show. 2 of our kids were in their room so when they no showed it left the kids "alone" and Carnival never said a word. I wouldn't worry :)

I think you should make sure your (adult) cabin is equipped for three people, just in case. You never know what retarded drone is going to be manning the check-in desk that day...

Also, having a 12 & 14 year old alone in cabin remote from the parents is not the best of ideas to begin with.

My DH informed me last night that he has to go to Europe prior to our cruise. He will now fly into Houston on 7/6/12 late at night, rent a car and drive to Galveston.

Hypothetically, if for some reason, he gets delayed in Europe (don't even know where he's going) and doesn't make the ship, can my girls and I still go?

We have 2 cabins - balcony and interior for 2 people each. The kids are going interior and we are going to be in the balcony. The cabins are for 2 people not 3. If I get down to Galveston, I am thinking that they will turn myself and my girls away (14 & 12).

I know that this is all hypothetical but wanted to check with you to see what you thought.

You and your girls can definitely go, you got good info from the folks here, I have a question, why his he renting a car?

Why not hire a limo to pick him up? They will keep tabs of his arrival time and he can rest during the ride. Are you coming in the day before?

You and your girls can definitely go, you got good info from the folks here, I have a question, why his he renting a car?

Why not hire a limo to pick him up? They will keep tabs of his arrival time and he can rest during the ride. Are you coming in the day before?

My girls are directly across the hall from us so distance to them is not an issue. Hopefully this will all be a non issue but I do need to be prepared.

This is what I am going to do "in a just in case he doesn't make it" scenario:

1) Check with Carnival if we end up with any issue

2) Get a letter from my husband stating that I can take the girls out of the country

3) Have him hire a limo from Houston to Galveston

4) Drive down to Galveston alone with the girls and stay at the Hilton for a couple of days - singing along with them the latest of Top 40s on their iPods.

5) Set up my credit card with my girls so there won't be any issues. I had set up DH's credit card for both cabins as I checked in online already ( one week ago)

6) Check with Carnival where he could fly into to meet us. If that means flying into Miami and then him catching a flight to the Bahamas - so be it.

7) Remember to not give my oldest the bottle of wine that my DH was supposed to carry on since we were allowed 2 with 2 adults.

8) Order the wine package for myself!

Here is what I am going to do if he does make it:

1) Pack a separate suitcase for him of casual clothes and actually remember to put it in the car!

2) Order a round of drinks once we are on board and celebrate

3) Send out all of his laundry and dry cleaning (he will be in Dubai the week before so his clothes should be quite ripe).

4) Order the wine package for two!

Am I forgetting anything in preparation? Thank goodness for these boards because you all thought of some things that really didn't cross my mind.

My girls are directly across the hall from us so distance to them is not an issue. Hopefully this will all be a non issue but I do need to be prepared.

2) Get a letter from my husband stating that I can take the girls out of the country

4) Drive down to Galveston alone with the girls and stay at the Hilton for a couple of days - singing along with them the latest of Top 40s on their iPods.

5) Set up my credit card with my girls so there won't be any issues. I had set up DH's credit card for both cabins as I checked in online already ( one week ago)

6) Check with Carnival where he could fly into to meet us. If that means flying into Miami and then him catching a flight to the Bahamas - so be it.

7) Remember to not give my oldest the bottle of wine that my DH was supposed to carry on since we were allowed 2 with 2 adults.

1) Pack a separate suitcase for him of casual clothes and actually remember to put it in the car!

3) Send out all of his laundry and dry cleaning (he will be in Dubai the week before so his clothes should be quite ripe).

Am I forgetting anything in preparation? Thank goodness for these boards because you all thought of some things that really didn't cross my mind.

And, with that attitude, you're sure to have a great time! :D I would add in a couples massage since he'll be tense after the long flight. LOL.

This is incorrect. The PVSA states a vessel can not transport a passenger between 2 different US ports unless a DISTANT foreign port is visited. In the case of the OP, the vessel would be transporting her husband from Key West to Galveston, which is not allowed under the PVSA.

Gregg

Now I'm confused. Why is itinerary Galveston to Key West if above is true?

He would not be transported between 2 US ports 'cause he's not on the ship but everyone else on board would be????:confused:

Now I'm confused. Why is itinerary Galveston to Key West if above is true?

He would not be transported between 2 US ports 'cause he's not on the ship but everyone else on board would be????:confused:

Because it starts and ENDS in the same place.

The husband would be going from Key West to Galvenston (with the Bahamas in between), as if he's being "transported" from one city to the other, where the ship itself is going in a big circle.

Good luck! :)

Try Gulf Coast Limo. I use them when I sail from Galveston. They are terrific.

Archived