If my DH doesn't make the ship on time.....

shellgoodman

My DH informed me last night that he has to go to Europe prior to our cruise. He will now fly into Houston on 7/6/12 late at night, rent a car and drive to Galveston.

Hypothetically, if for some reason, he gets delayed in Europe (don't even know where he's going) and doesn't make the ship, can my girls and I still go?

We have 2 cabins - balcony and interior for 2 people each. The kids are going interior and we are going to be in the balcony. The cabins are for 2 people not 3. If I get down to Galveston, I am thinking that they will turn myself and my girls away (14 & 12).

I know that this is all hypothetical but wanted to check with you to see what you thought.

Someone with first hand knowledge will chime in here, but would you try to get a refund of his fare? I believe people have said before if he just doesn't show up, you three board as usual and you will be technically charged double for your room (cause they wont refund his price). Or maybe if you got travel insurance they would cancel and refund...

My (not as) significant other (as I thought) canceled a cruise on me once at the last minute, I called Carnival, changed the name on the booking and brought my dad instead for free. That was booked with military rate and not early saver though which I know has strict name change restrictions...

I think you might run into a problem with having 2 rooms for 2 people each. I think guests under 21 need to be in a cabin with an adult 25+. If either of your rooms can accommodate a third guest on the sofa bed, maybe they would let you all be in the one cabin "on paper"?

I hope everything works out for you. Maybe it's worth calling Carnival to discuss options in that case?

If the rooms only fit two, and there are three of you - they are going to want 1 adult in each room with a child.

I can see an issue there if your husband doesn't show up, unless they have available rooms that fit three that you may be able to upgrade to at port - but that's a risk ...

The problem is that my girls are minors. When you book a cabin, you have to book one adult and one child in a room. Then you switch on board.

Maybe my husband could fly to Miami (Key West is first port) and I know that his work would have to pay.

We are looking forward to this trip as a family as my husband is traveling internationally now and barely home. A cruise is one trip that he does shut off his phone although he continues to get e-mail.

No I didn't get insurance this time and we are about 3 weeks out from the trip.

Dont worry about it, he will just be a no show, and if possible he can board at your first port. As long as your cabins are next to or across the hall from each other there wont be a problem, especially if you know he will meet you at first port.

We spoke to a family that this happened to a couple years ago. The son had an exam to write and didnt think he could make it on time, the rest of the family cruised without him. He was standing at the dock, suitcase in hand, at our first port waiting to board.

Your best bet is to call carnival.

The problem is that my girls are minors. When you book a cabin, you have to book one adult and one child in a room. Then you switch on board.

Maybe my husband could fly to Miami (Key West is first port) and I know that his work would have to pay.

We are looking forward to this trip as a family as my husband is traveling internationally now and barely home. A cruise is one trip that he does shut off his phone although he continues to get e-mail.

No I didn't get insurance this time and we are about 3 weeks out from the trip.

How about this--

Have him meet you in Key West.

You and the DDs board and inform Carnival that he will be meeting the ship in KW. You in one cabin and the girls in the other.

When sailing with minor children, the kids have to be within 3 cabins of each the parents.

You should not have to book an adult and a minor in each cabin. Just booked a cruise yesterday for DH and my 3 minor children. DH and I are booked in a balcony and our girls are booked in an inside triple within three cabins of our balcony. This will be our third cruise as a family and we have booked this way each time. I would think that your DH could just be a no show and fly to Miami and then meet the ship in Key West and you will be fine.

he will not be able to meet the ship in key west as it would be a violation of the PVSA which everybody calls the Jones Act.

He would have to go to the first foreign port to meet the ship.

Let's hope he doesn't get delayed coming back from Europe and you don't have to worry about all of this.:)

Bill

My DH informed me last night that he has to go to Europe prior to our cruise. He will now fly into Houston on 7/6/12 late at night, rent a car and drive to Galveston.

Hypothetically, if for some reason, he gets delayed in Europe (don't even know where he's going) and doesn't make the ship, can my girls and I still go?

We have 2 cabins - balcony and interior for 2 people each. The kids are going interior and we are going to be in the balcony. The cabins are for 2 people not 3. If I get down to Galveston, I am thinking that they will turn myself and my girls away (14 & 12).

I know that this is all hypothetical but wanted to check with you to see what you thought.

You will not have any trouble boarding and the girls can stay in their own cabin as long as you are on the ship and near them. (the rule used to be that they would need to have someone over 25 in the cabin with them, but that has been changed and because you are on board and responsible they can be in their own cabin.)

Guests under the age of 13

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=age+restrictions#q-544480

If your husband misses the ship he can join you at the first non US port.

Make sure that you have a letter from him saying that it is OK to take the girls out of the country.

As far as him making the ship, he should have no problem unless his flight is completely canceled, in which case he will end up being a whole day late.

he will not be able to meet the ship in key west as it would be a violation of the PVSA which everybody calls the Jones Act.

Let's hope he doesn't get delayed coming back from Europe and you don't have to worry about all of this.:)

Bill

Thanks for letting me know this fact. I completely forgot about the Jones Act.

Now, every time I've booked a Carnival cruise with my kids, they tell me that an adult has to be in each cabin even with the cabins being across the hall from one another. Does it depend on who you get on the phone? Ages of kids (mine being 14 and 12)?

I hope that I am worrying over nothing.

The problem is that we know people that got delayed in Europe last week a few days. The weather was really bad in Dallas and they couldn't make it in so flights were cancelled.

you will be fine...you do NOT need to have a parent in a room with minors. Although Carnival would like to have a parent in a room when booking the room-it's not mandatory. What is mandatory is depending on the age of the child(ren) is that they have to be within a certain amount of cabins to the parents. The booking agent will make a note in the parent's booking comments where the parents are located. Next door is the preference.

I do like the idea of hubby meeting you in the next port. You can notify the agent at check-in that that is what he is going to do so they will be expecting him.

EDITED TO SAY: DUH! Forgot about that Jones Act....

We had this happen last year, only my dad wasn't able to come at all and my brother and I aren't minors. Both of which make our situation a little different.

We just showed up without him and he was considered a no show. My brother and I still shared a cabin and my mom had her's to herself. It was a bummer for him since it was going to be his platinum cruise.

As a surprise for him, we made some cardboard cutouts of him and called him flat daddy. We then took pictures and video of him throughout the cruise and made a video of it on the way home. He loved it!

Your cruise leaves on 7/8 (based on what your signature countdown says), so everything should be fine.

But on the offchance something does occur, the ship leaves port at 4pm. The absolute latest he could arrive in Houston on cruise day is noon (1pm would be really pushing it) and still make the ship. At that point, he might as well hire a limo to get him there. Heck, just hire a limo, regardless of the time, if he arrives on cruise day. Period. But anything before that noon cutoff and he'll make it.

Be that as it may, unless he's usually delayed in travellnig from Europe, things should go smoothly.

When you do your on-line check in, you might want to set it up as "check-in for myself only". This way you will each have a boarding pass in case you have to check in without him. Then he will have his boarding pass in hand when he gets to the ship. If I understand it right, if you do the check in for all guests, you all must board together. Just make sure you each have a credit card to set up your on board account. If he has the card you will be using you won't be able to purchase anything until he checks in with the card.

That's the way I understand it. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know!

Bill

The Jones Act and PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886) are two entirely different laws, though they're are tied together. The Jones Act concerns cargo, PVSA concerns passengers. However, PVSA will not prevent her husband from boarding in Key West if needed. PVSA means a foreign flagged ship that leaves a US port must visit a foreign port before returning to its US port of origin. And there are exemptions for family emergencies, so the OP's dilemma might qualify.

The Jones Act and PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886) are two entirely different laws, though they're are tied together. The Jones Act concerns cargo, PVSA concerns passengers. However, PVSA will not prevent her husband from boarding in Key West if needed. PVSA means a foreign flagged ship that leaves a US port must visit a foreign port before returning to its US port of origin. And there are exemptions for family emergencies, so the OP's dilemma might qualify.

That's what I said.:p

Bill

If I am not mistaken, he should be able to board in Key West as it is BEFORE they reach the Foreign Port. Therefore, its US departure, FOREIGN port and US return. Same as boarding in Miami, US Departure, Foreign Port and US return. He could not do it if it was just Key West back to Miami, with no Foreign port in between.

I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if you have a balcony cabin, it should have a couch. So even if you check in and your girls are in one cabin and you in another, you could all sleep in one cabin if you choose. Or make it a girls night in and all pile into the King bed. Should be enough room!

Make the best of your situation! Good luck.

If I am not mistaken, he should be able to board in Key West as it is BEFORE they reach the Foreign Port. Therefore, its US departure, FOREIGN port and US return. Same as boarding in Miami, US Departure, Foreign Port and US return. He could not do it if it was just Key West back to Miami, with no Foreign port in between.

I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if you have a balcony cabin, it should have a couch. So even if you check in and your girls are in one cabin and you in another, you could all sleep in one cabin if you choose. Or make it a girls night in and all pile into the King bed. Should be enough room!

Make the best of your situation! Good luck.

This is incorrect. The PVSA states a vessel can not transport a passenger between 2 different US ports unless a DISTANT foreign port is visited. In the case of the OP, the vessel would be transporting her husband from Key West to Galveston, which is not allowed under the PVSA.

Gregg

I thought since the ship goes from Key West on to the Bahamas and then returns to Galveston that the Bahamas stops would satisfy the Foreign Port requirement.

My apologies. Thanks, George.

No problem. A lot of people misunderstand that it is a distant foreign port that is required. The Bahamas, for the PVSA rules, is considered a near foreign port. I believe the nearest distant foreign port would be Aruba. This is also the reason when ships reposition from the West coast thru the Panama canal to the East coast, they either stop at Aruba or some stop I believe in Cartagna(sp) Ven. to meet the requirement.

Gregg

I've been on cruises that left FLL and added passengers in San Juan the first stop. Now I know San Juan is a territory and not a state. But I don't really see why the law would differ.

Isn't the law in this case more about if they all wanted off in Key west the first stop on a foreign flagged vessel?

Archived