Tell me about Carnival Transport

lea

Anyone used Carnival Transport? Do you wait a lot for other travelers? We are flying into Fort Lauderdale day of cruise and cruising out of Miami.

I have used SAS before but Southwest changed it flight time and now we do not get into FLL till 12:15. Then have to get bags. Wonder if I should spend double and have carnival transport us to the ship. What are Carnival's policies if we end up being a little late to the ship if we are on their transport and they agree to pick us up. With flight getting in a little after noon -We should be there in plenty of time but I understand some boat show is going on in FLL that day.

Thanks for your info

Far TOO MANY THINGS can go wrong when you fly on sail day. Unless money is super-tight, I suggest that you fly the day before.

We always fly into FLL & spend the night at Hyatt Place Airport North. Book at http://www.valuetrips.com

Usually, we sail out of FLL, but this year we sail from Miami, so we will take the hotel shuttle back to the FLL airport and pick up SAS to the ship on sailing day.

Most people recommend the SAS van service, $15 per person from the FLL Airport to the Port of Miami.

http://www.ridesas.com/

If you haven't been to FLL, it is quite small. The FLL cruise terminal is only about 2 miles from the Hyatt, and the Hyatt is only about 2 miles from the FLL Airport.

The "boat show" is really a yacht show, and brings in thousands of rich people with mega-yachts, plus thousands us us peons who buy cabins on the "big yachts." :-)

Carnival Transport uses big Grayhound-style busses, and the busses don't leave until they are packed to the gills. On the other hand, I can't see the Carnival ship sailing off when they know a Carnival bus-load of people are on the way.

We often fly in the same day as the cruise; best if you don't have to change planes. The cruise line shuttles take forever to fill up and though they will eventually get to the port, I have found that it's faster and cheaper to take a cab most of the time. But if you are flying into FLL and sailing out of Miami, transfers might be easier and possibly cheaper. A cab to the port in Miami will run you around $75 plus tip. Not sure about the cost of transfers so if it's about the same, take a cab. It take about an hour to get there.

We have only used carnivals transportation when we flew into fort lauderdale for a miami cruise. They waited for us even though our plane was delayed. I was happy with the service and we did not wait for anyone else.

We used Carnival's transport from Orlando to Port Canaveral for the same reason - just peace of mine in case anything should go wrong with flights. Miraculously, with our two layovers, we still made it right on time. We checked in at the Carnival transport desk, then proceeded to wait. And wait. And wait. I SO wish I had timed it, because it felt like forever. Definitely at least an hour before we heard anything, but I'd wager probably an hour and a half before the bus came.

So it wasn't the best... But again, we did have comfort in knowing they would wait if we were slightly delayed. I don't recommend using this service (it WAS more expensive that most everything else), unless you find yourself really needing the reassurance that comes with it.

We have only used carnivals transportation when we flew into fort lauderdale for a miami cruise. They waited for us even though our plane was delayed. I was happy with the service and we did not wait for anyone else.

But the people already on the bus were waiting for you.

You better check what the last Carnival shuttle is as well from FLL. If you have any delays arriving or getting your baggage then would be good to have a back up plan just to make sure.

We used this when we took our last cruise. We flew in from O'hare to Tampa the afternoon of our cruise and waited in this little room right past the baggage claim area. We waited about 20 minutes (i'm assuming they were waiting for all the flights to come in) and they we boarded a nice big bus (one of those touring ones) and we didn't have to wait much longer past that. I would use this again if we were flying the day of and it the cost was less than taking a taxi (in Tampa they are about the same)!

Archived