Additional "Activities" on QM2 TA?

T5LHR

I thought I had asked about this before, but can't find a thread...

I am a bit of a geek... And love anything where you get to see "behind the scenes" sort of stuff.

I know you can do a Galley Tour, and if I remember correctly, there is sometimes a more "in depth" ship tour offered to people in the know, who know to ask at the Pursers desk...

I have seen in and around here and other places that some people have been on a Bridge Tour... How does one get to do that?

Any other stuff that may be available to people who know to ask about it?

Thanks,

T5

:)

Last year, I did comment to Capt Inger Olsen, that a bridge visit would be great if ever that was possible.

Sure enough, a couple of days later a letter arrived inviting our family to the bridge. It also asked us not to discuss it with any other passengers.

We joined a small party of about a dozen people and had a very interesting 2 hours.

Incidently, a number of years ago, when I used to fly regularly GLA/LGW, I was invited to take the cockpit jump seat for the GLA landing on a B/Cal 1-11. Something else no longer possible.

Stewart

Last year, I did comment to Capt Inger Olsen, that a bridge visit would be great if ever that was possible.

Sure enough, a couple of days later a letter arrived inviting our family to the bridge. It also asked us not to discuss it with any other passengers.

We joined a small party of about a dozen people and had a very interesting 2 hours.

Incidently, a number of years ago, when I used to fly regularly GLA/LGW, I was invited to take the cockpit jump seat for the GLA landing on a B/Cal 1-11. Something else no longer possible.

Stewart

Thanks for that Stewart...

So, a discreet word in someones shell-like may be the way forward with the Bridge idea... Someone with stripes maybe... ;)

As for flight deck landings and take offs, it is such a shame that is a thing of the past. The reason I do the job I do now is because I was allowed to visit the flight deck on a 737-200 in 1987 and I instantly fell in love with the art of flight. Of course, I am still allowed to do that, when crew numbers permit, so I am still very lucky indeed...

Thanks for that Stewart...

So, a discreet word in someones shell-like may be the way forward with the Bridge idea... Someone with stripes maybe... ;)

As for flight deck landings and take offs, it is such a shame that is a thing of the past. The reason I do the job I do now is because I was allowed to visit the flight deck on a 737-200 in 1987 and I instantly fell in love with the art of flight. Of course, I am still allowed to do that, when crew numbers permit, so I am still very lucky indeed...

And don't forget that, even if you aren't successful in setting up a bridge visit, there's still the publicly accessible observation area behind the bridge itself. You can stand all day in there watching the bridge team doing nothing. :o)

J

And don't forget that, even if you aren't successful in setting up a bridge visit, there's still the publicly accessible observation area behind the bridge itself. You can stand all day in there watching the bridge team doing nothing. :o)

J

I like the little sign that asks you not to tap on the window. Kind of like "please do not annoy the animals" signs at the zoo!

I have seen in and around here and other places that some people have been on a Bridge Tour... How does one get to do that? Thanks, T5 :)

Hi T5,

I got my bridge tour of the QM2 at the personal invitation of the Staff Captain.

On a Caribbean Cruise I had been "confirmed" late seating in the Britannia Restaurant. I found I was allocated early. I saw the restaurant manager who apologised and told me he had put me "on a very good table" second seating.

This table turned out to be a "hosted" table, every formal night we (six passengers) had an officer or two at the table.

Many "perks" and invitations followed, one of which was an invitation for me to visit the Bridge after I had expressed a keen interest to see it.

If you get the chance, do go, QM2's many systems are amazing and they are explained to you in detail.

I took many pictures that day, here are two of them:

QM2 On The Bridge (1)

QM2 On The Bridge (3)

Very best wishes.

If you do ask you may get the tour of the bridge, they do happen , and a lot more often than people thing, another interesting tour are the medical rooms, the Galley Tours are now part of almost every voyage, so you will get to see this as well.

Thanks for the information everyone...

I do admit to being a complete geek, anything mechanical or engineering and it spikes my interest. So, I will certainly put out the feelers for anything going on that I may be able to get a look into...

I never thought about the medical facilities, being from a Health Service background, I may enquire about this too...

Thanks again everyone! *thumbs up* :)

• 3 months later...

We travelled on QV this summer and were able to go on a behind the scenes tour. We had to pay for it (& it wasn't cheap at $120 dollars each!!) it was worth every penny! We had 4 hours of utter indulgence in all things Cunard. The senior officers showed us round their area. Theatre, hospital, restaurants, stores, engine control room, even the photocopying room! We were given tastes of food in the galley and fizz with canapés at the end. The pièce de rèsistance was the bridge! The captain joined us too. Utterly fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We travelled on QV this summer and were able to go on a behind the scenes tour. We had to pay for it (& it wasn't cheap at $120 dollars each!!) it was worth every penny! We had 4 hours of utter indulgence in all things Cunard. The senior officers showed us round their area. Theatre, hospital, restaurants, stores, engine control room, even the photocopying room! We were given tastes of food in the galley and fizz with canapés at the end. The pièce de rèsistance was the bridge! The captain joined us too. Utterly fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hadn't heard if this was available on QM2. Although not cheap, it would be a wonderful experience if available!

Archived