Fish in Celebrity Dining Rooms

4getmenot

I was hoping to "learn" to like fish on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. So even in Alaska we won't get fresh fish on the ship?

On our first Alaskan cruise, they had a whole halibut in the buffet. I'm not sure, but I think it was fresh.

I was surprised to learn on my last cruise that all the fish is frozen. They don't have or serve fresh fish.

It wasn't cooked? :confused:

From want I have read most fish markets that sell fish was fish that was previous flash frozen and then thawed. Most markets will even have a note that the so called fresh fish was previously frozen.

Very few markets sell fish that are flown in fresh and not frozen.

Think about it for a ship. A ship leaves the port on a 7 or 10 day cruise. If the fish was not frozen how fresh would it be after a few days? If not served within the first few days it would probably be getting beyond the recommended serving date. Would you want a fish that was in the cooler for 5 or 6 days before being served?

Not a fish expert but I think it is the norm.

DH and I were chaperoning a student tour of Spain in '84 and had a late lunch on the way back to Torremolinos from Granada. The kids at our table ordered a trout dish. When the whole fish was set down in front of the girl, she gagged and shuddered, then put a leaf of lettuce from her salad over the eye, lol. I had to avert MY eyes. ;)

I don't eat any fish, anywhere, unless it's deep fried and disguised. I do like the crabcake appetizer on ships, but that's about all. Occasionally they offer fish and chips for lunch.

I hardly ever eat meals off the ship, but friends and I had really good fish and chips at the Halibut Hole in Ketchikan, AK in '03. I'll be there again this Aug. and may repeat the experience.

I enjoy the chicken, beef and pork dishes at the MDR. I have food aversions that I know are all in my head, but can't help it. Lamb (wooly white one frolicking in a field with a bell around its neck--too cute to eat) No problem with calves--go figure. Organ meats--eeeewww. Do you know the function of the liver?? :EEK: DH had gout flare-ups starting at age 35. Bad for him, but I was relieved not to have to fix liver ever again.

Frogs and snails and lobster--double eewww! I know I'm in the minority here, but lobsters, alive, just look like giant insects. To each his/her own!

I usually have fish for breakfast every other day; and, I do not fry same. As a matter of fact, I prepare it in the microwave. Kathie, you might wish to try liver, since it is very efficacious in the treatment or prevention of anemia.

I usually prepare my fish without the skin except when I smoke same.

I have tried liver, which is why I don't eat it. It's totally gross, no matter how it's fixed.

The few times I fixed it for my husband I forced myself to eat some to be a good example to my kids--they were not fooled. :D

I have tried liver, which is why I don't eat it. It's totally gross, no matter how it's fixed.

The few times I fixed it for my husband I forced myself to eat some to be a good example to my kids--they were not fooled. :D

Liver is one of my favorite parts of the deer, but then I also like the heart.

Archived