Tea-making facilities in the stateroom.

BORDER REIVER

PARTIAL QUOTE

I really object to anyone just knocking and entering my room. It has happened on QM2 and other ships as well. Often it was intrusive, always inappropriate. I thought there were measures passed for increased security to prevent people from just knocking and entering (and sometimes they don't even knock!). There should be locks on the cabin doors to prevent anyone with a "pass" key card from entering a passengers cabin without permission from the passenger/s inside the cabin. And there should be a way for a passenger to see who knocks before opening the cabin door (often referred to as peep holes). Again, I thought these security measures had been mandated on cruise ships, but apparently not all have complied.

Do you mean like the ones that were fitted in all cabin doors during the November refit? There are locks on the door and also the Do Not Disturb sign helps!

Do you mean like the ones that were fitted in all cabin doors during the November refit? There are locks on the door and also the Do Not Disturb sign helps!

Capnpugwash, were cabin locks fitted inside the cabin doors to disable those with a master key card from entering cabins installed during the November refit on QM2? Were "peep holes" or whatever you want to call the object that permits passengers inside the cabin to see whomever is outside knocking on the cabin door also installed? If so, I must have have had the only cabin that was not so accomodated on December QM2 Holiday voyage. I believe there was a discussion about the delay in implementing mandated security measures, but I trust you can do your own research to find that particular thread. (If I remember correctly, you offered exculpatory comments regarding the delay in implementing mandated cruise line security measures.)

And yes, thank you, I am aware of the Do Not Disturb sign, and have employed it often with limited results.

Regards,

Salacia

...were cabin locks fitted inside the cabin doors to disable those with a master key card from entering cabins... Regards,Salacia

I would have thought it ESSENTIAL that master keys allowed access to cabins in case of passenger illness (where they couldn't answer their door), fire in the cabin, and checking cabins were empty during evacuation of the ship. I have never had a "do not disturb" sign ignored. The only time it comes off my door is if I want the cabin "serviced" or in the evening for the "turndown" service.

Best wishes.

I would have thought it ESSENTIAL that master keys allowed access to cabins in case of passenger illness (where they couldn't answer their door), fire in the cabin, and checking cabins were empty during evacuation of the ship. I have never had a "do not disturb" sign ignored. The only time it comes off my door is if I want the cabin "serviced" or in the evening for the "turndown" service.

Best wishes.

Hi pepperrn. Certainly master keys are essential in case of emergency. But should not master keys be limited to select crew members? For room service staff or cabin stewards to have master key cards that permits them to open any cabin door at any time, while passengers are unable to protect their privacy while inside their cabin is unreasonable. I believe that has been decided and agreed upon by international cruise lines. Again, that is easily researched.

I am happy that your "do not disturb" sign has never been ignored. It has happened to me on more than one cruise line; I did not like like being in a cabin and having someone knock and just walk in (and yes, I locked the cabin door - I have no idea how a locked door could be by-passed in a NON EMERGENCY). I've read comments from others that have indicated that such an experience is not all that uncommon. Such events have been reported by others on this forum, but are certainly not limited to Cunard.

Regards,

Salacia

I really object to anyone just knocking and entering my room. It has happened on QM2 and other ships as well.

To be honest I feel that having someone enter the cabin and bring me tea without having to get out of bed is very good service (and something I missed in previous trips on Vicky and QE). The idea of a tea bag and a jug of hot water is horrendous :eek: I'm afraid that this is another example of the way the expectations of service has changed over the years :(

PARTIAL QUOTE

I really object to anyone just knocking and entering my room. It has happened on QM2 and other ships as well. Often it was intrusive, always inappropriate. I thought there were measures passed for increased security to prevent people from just knocking and entering (and sometimes they don't even knock!). There should be locks on the cabin doors to prevent anyone with a "pass" key card from entering a passengers cabin without permission from the passenger/s inside the cabin. And there should be a way for a passenger to see who knocks before opening the cabin door (often referred to as peep holes). Again, I thought these security measures had been mandated on cruise ships, but apparently not all have complied.

As I have mentioned on here before, there are locks on the cabin doors of all three ships. You just turn the small knob under the handle. We nearly always have this turned. The steward then cannot get in with his key card.

In an emergency the lock can be opened on the other side with a key.

zul4qs.jpg

PARTIAL QUOTE

I really object to anyone just knocking and entering my room.

But surely, in this case at least, Malcolm (pnhmrk) had pre-ordered morning tea and thus had the choice of either getting up to receive it, or lazing around in bed:D.

We've done the same - pre-ordered morning coffee and not woken up - steward knocked, waited a respectable length of time, then entered. Fair enough, after all, it was up to us to be up and dressed at the time we'd requested. If anyone's at fault, it was us.

Proving yet further that we're losing the plot, we asked the desk to sort out our safe as it wouldn't open, forgetting we'd left the 'do not disturb' notice up - the young lady rang the cabin asking if she could enter, likewise our steward when he'd left some cleaning materials behind.

Mary

Hi pepperrn. Certainly master keys are essential in case of emergency. But should not master keys be limited to select crew members? For room service staff or cabin stewards to have master key cards that permits them to open any cabin door at any time, while passengers are unable to protect their privacy while inside their cabin is unreasonable. I believe that has been decided and agreed upon by international cruise lines. Again, that is easily researched.

I am happy that your "do not disturb" sign has never been ignored. It has happened to me on more than one cruise line; I did not like like being in a cabin and having someone knock and just walk in (and yes, I locked the cabin door - I have no idea how a locked door could be by-passed in a NON EMERGENCY). I've read comments from others that have indicated that such an experience is not all that uncommon. Such events have been reported by others on this forum, but are certainly not limited to Cunard.

Regards,

Salacia

Was this room service? When I had room service on QM2 this winter, the waiter knocked and announced himself. I opened the door. He asked if he could come in, he didn't just walk in. Perhaps this was because I was by myself. I said yes and told him where to put the tray. I guess he could have handed the tray to me if I had not wanted him in my cabin.

To be honest I feel that having someone enter the cabin and bring me tea without having to get out of bed is very good service (and something I missed in previous trips on Vicky and QE). The idea of a tea bag and a jug of hot water is horrendous :eek: I'm afraid that this is another example of the way the expectations of service has changed over the years :(

Yes it is! It is also standard procedure in most US hotels, unfortunately.

But surely, in this case at least, Malcolm (pnhmrk) had pre-ordered morning tea and thus had the choice of either getting up to receive it, or lazing around in bed:D.

We've done the same - pre-ordered morning coffee and not woken up - steward knocked, waited a respectable length of time, then entered. Fair enough, after all, it was up to us to be up and dressed at the time we'd requested. If anyone's at fault, it was us.

Proving yet further that we're losing the plot, we asked the desk to sort out our safe as it wouldn't open, forgetting we'd left the 'do not disturb' notice up - the young lady rang the cabin asking if she could enter, likewise our steward when he'd left some cleaning materials behind.

Mary

I can understand how many would find it most convenient and good service to have room service delivered inside the cabin without getting out of bed in the morning (it's just not my personal preference).

Mary, BTW, do you leave your cabin door unlocked when you go to bed at night so that room service can knock, wait and enter without you getting out of bed to unlock the door in the morning?

Regards,

Salacia

Mary, BTW, do you leave your cabin door unlocked when you go to bed at night so that room service can knock, wait and enter without you getting out of bed to unlock the door in the morning?

Salacia

We do. Never occurred to us to lock the door.

Mary

Was this room service? When I had room service on QM2 this winter, the waiter knocked and announced himself. I opened the door. He asked if he could come in, he didn't just walk in. Perhaps this was because I was by myself. I said yes and told him where to put the tray. I guess he could have handed the tray to me if I had not wanted him in my cabin.

Hi 3rdGenCunarder. No, I was thinking of my most recent experience on QM2 Holiday 2011 voyage. Kind of a funny story...

My husband and I were in our cabin one afternoon when there was a faint knock on the door, followed immediately by the cabin steward walking in. Rather suprised (I thought I had locked the door), I said "Hi. What's up?" to which he replied "Can I look in your bathroom". "By all means" I said. He walked into the bathroom, walked right out again, said "Thanks" and left.

Curious, I checked the bathroom and nothing was amiss. I don't know what the purpose was for the sudden visit, maybe it was an emergency of some kind, or perhaps he was checking to make sure the champagne chiller was still on the shelf under the shink where he had left it. (I'd never seen a champage bucket stored there on previous voyages.)

BTW, I've taken 10 voyages on QM2, and I believe this type of experience is rare; I agree that respecting passengers privacy is the norm.

Regards,

Salacia

We do. Never occurred to us to lock the door.

Mary - do you mean that you don't shoot the deadbolt or do you mean that you leave the door ajar? (I'm assuming that the doors have deadbolts although, like you, we've never used them) :)

Mary - do you mean that you don't shoot the deadbolt or do you mean that you leave the door ajar? (I'm assuming that the doors have deadbolts although, like you, we've never used them) :)

No they're not deadbolts. It's a small knob under the handle that you twist to lock the door and like my photo on the previous page shows, it can be unlocked on the other side in an emergency by a key.

It's no problem, room service is fast and they do good cookies x

Not if you are in Q1 - the Rostron Suite!! We called our butler for a pot of tea and some cake before we sailed out of Southampton on the Jubilee cruise. we were told there was no cake and he would bring us biscuits. OK, I have read about freshly made biscuits and that is what we expected. Doesn't take much effort to slice some cookie dough, pop it in the oven and voila, freshly baked biscuits!

What a joke - 10 minutes and a plate of 6 digestive biscuits, one of which was broken.:eek:

Request for hot chocolate - one grubby little two-cup jug with tepid chocolate

Oh for tea and coffee making facilities...

No they're not deadbolts. It's a small knob under the handle that you twist to lock the door and like my photo on the previous page shows, it can be unlocked on the other side in an emergency by a key.

Ray, are those locks new on QM2? I clearly remember the twist lock inside the cabin door, but not the key hole on the exterior :confused: BTW, some ships now also have interior latches like those found in hotel rooms. (Sorry, I should have taken some photos :o) Not sure if the added interior locks were installed in order to be in compliance with the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety act.

Not if you are in Q1 - the Rostron Suite!! We called our butler for a pot of tea and some cake before we sailed out of Southampton on the Jubilee cruise. we were told there was no cake and he would bring us biscuits. OK, I have read about freshly made biscuits and that is what we expected. Doesn't take much effort to slice some cookie dough, pop it in the oven and voila, freshly baked biscuits!

What a joke - 10 minutes and a plate of 6 digestive biscuits, one of which was broken.:eek:

Hint: after dinner hours, if you want to 'rough it', follow the rowers to Kings Court where you are more likely to discover a variety of freshly made desserts such as biscuits, cakes, pies, etc. Make yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair next to the window as fog embraces the ship.

Just a suggestion ;)

Salacia

Rower

a plate of 6 digestive biscuits, one of which was broken.:eek:

Request for hot chocolate - one grubby little two-cup jug

I've made those mistakes as well :( (Although admittedly not in a QG suite)

You have to be very specific what you ask for - biscuits are biscuits and cookies are cookies - it sounds obvious but to them they are two quite different things :rolleyes:

Likewise you have to state exactly what you want to drink or you will get the minimum. If you want more than one cup of chocolate each you must say so :(

I've made those mistakes as well :( (Although admittedly not in a QG suite)

You have to be very specific what you ask for - biscuits are biscuits and cookies are cookies - it sounds obvious but to them they are two quite different things :rolleyes:

Likewise you have to state exactly what you want to drink or you will get the minimum. If you want more than one cup of chocolate each you must say so :(

And Q1 to boot!! If we know the difference between biscuits and cookies - and I must say, I do like the 'biscuits' the have in the US, especially with Thanksgiving dinner - you would seriously think Cunard butlers would know what we mean...

heaven help us if we asked them to press our (English) pants!!:D

And Q1 to boot!! If we know the difference between biscuits and cookies - and I must say, I do like the 'biscuits' the have in the US, especially with Thanksgiving dinner - you would seriously think Cunard butlers would know what we mean...

heaven help us if we asked them to press our (English) pants!!:D

There is a big difference between a biscuit and a cookie in Australia. For one, a biscuit is what you dip in your tea. A cookie is eaten on its own.

Out of interest, what "cookies" do they have on Cunard ships? I'm quite partial to shortbread creams and chocolate creams.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A sort of newbie here. I'm American; husband is English. We moved [back] to the UK 2 years ago after being in the US for 6 years. Sailed over on QM2 rather than flying (was actually less expensive than 2 one-way flights would have been). Lovely way to arrive back 'home'.

Could someone please answer a couple of questions?

1. We will soon be cruising again on QM2 and just received an upgrade to B3/stateroom 5245. In looking at the deck plan on Cunard's website, I am wondering what that large empty boxed in area is near our cabin? In one corner of that space it is marked stateroom 5242.

2. Do I understand correctly that ordering tea from room service would be
free
?

Thank you.

- biscuits are biscuits and cookies are cookies - it sounds obvious but to them they are two quite different things :rolleyes:

(

But generally we don't use the word cookies, not in my neck of the woods anyway. Do Americans have biscuits as we do. Thinking of the vast choice we have, and we all have favourites, like - custard creams, rich tea,digestives - both plain and chocolate,garibaldi, jammy dodgers, fig roll , bourbon and shortbread and ginger nut, nice, jaffa cakes, Club, Waggon wheels (which used to be double the size) Yorky and Kitkat and many more.

And P&O being very British put a couple of packs of quite good wrapped biscuits in the room each evening. Put them carefully away and they are replaced daily giving you a nice cruise remembrance for days after you get home.

David.

But generally we don't use the word cookies, not in my neck of the woods anyway. Do Americans have biscuits as we do. Thinking of the vast choice we have, and we all have favourites, like - custard creams, rich tea,digestives - both plain and chocolate,garibaldi, jammy dodgers, fig roll , bourbon and shortbread and ginger nut, nice, jaffa cakes, Club, Waggon wheels (which used to be double the size) Yorky and Kitkat and many more.

And P&O being very British put a couple of packs of quite good wrapped biscuits in the room each evening. Put them carefully away and they are replaced daily giving you a nice cruise remembrance for days after you get home.

David.

Ooooh How I would love that, you made my mouth water with all those "biscuits" It is years since I enjoyed anythig like them. Mmmmmm.

Personally I have never found room service on the ship to be satisfactory, but others have. I usually go to the MDR. My "grouse" there is asking for a "pot of English Breakfast tea" and being told "No pot" and being offered a cup of pale tepid "muck" from a container being carried around the room.

I am pleased we went inside cabin on the the QM2 5th June, we ordered some tea and had tea, cake and fruit delivered and a plate sandwichs

Archived