Great trip, but...

goLC

JH said they should not be admitted but he also said dont believe the rumours on CC LOL

I'm a little offended by that. If he is interested, it was on the June 4th Fascination cruise. We had late dining; our headwaiter was Antonio. We sat at a corner table; 3 of us and a nice older couple from South Carolina. That gentleman was the one who went and asked about the dress code. The boy in question had on dark basketball shorts, a white baseball cap on backwards, and no shoes. I don't remember about his shirt.

I will continue to sail on Carnival; we have always had a great time. I wish I had just kept my mouth shut -

Couples can cruise for less than $200/day. At that price you will encounter all types of people, many whom have very limited wardrobes and don't care how they look. With cruise ship capacity increasing and the economy remaining weak, I don't see things improving. To avoid the problem, go with a more expensive cruise line, go on longer cruises, or learn to deal with it.

I do agree that with the low price Carnival is attracting all types of people and not all are perhaps those you/I would choose to normally share a dining room. Having said that, I believe Carnival won't turn anyone (ok I did see where someone was turned away with a tank top) away because waiters are afraid the person turned away will not tip and he/she will tell others who in turn will pull their tips.

In addition, if the Maitre D' said something and a complaint was filed with Carnival, I don't believe one single person in Miami would back up the Maitre D'. So, both the waiters and the Maitre D' are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

By the way, the same thinking applies to people who show up half to an hour late for dinner. They aren't turned away either. No one on Carnival has the b---s to make waves. It's just about pulling in the money. JMO.

I'm a little offended by that. If he is interested, it was on the June 4th Fascination cruise. We had late dining; our headwaiter was Antonio. We sat at a corner table; 3 of us and a nice older couple from South Carolina. That gentleman was the one who went and asked about the dress code. The boy in question had on dark basketball shorts, a white baseball cap on backwards, and no shoes. I don't remember about his shirt.

I will continue to sail on Carnival; we have always had a great time. I wish I had just kept my mouth shut -

It wasnt about you JH HATES CC LOL

Sailed on Fascination recently. I am not a complainer; we had a great trip, lots of relaxation, which was the goal. I don't usually care what others are wearing to dinner; we dress every night, but I don't get bent out of shape when others dress differently. However, on this cruise we saw a young man with a backwards baseball cap, gym shorts, and no shoes in the dining room. The gentleman who we shared a table with went and asked why the dress code wasn't enforced better and was told if they enforced it, the dining room would be empty. Again, most things don't bother me, but this did. Am I over-reacting? I think it was the no-shoes that got me.

Im very interested in whom the gentlemen talked to, if you know?

Reminds me of the signs that I would see at restaurants back in the day:

No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service! :eek::eek:

I work in a retail drug store. We sell food and beverages. There is a sign on our door stating shoes and shirts are required. I dang enforce it!

Why would the appearance of others bother you? Its the same as if you said "I dont want to to eat dinner in the same room as ugly or fat people."

Since you are only allowed one 50LB bag, how would you have enough formal attire for 7 nights?

Here's the deal:

The world, for the most part is "slumming down", as I describe it. However, there is no excuse for walking barefoot into any dining venue. That should be verboten.

Heck, I recall when the former, famous fashion model of the 60's, "Twiggy", was not not allowed to enter London's legendary Savoy hotel because she was wearing jeans, and this was in the 1960s! It made front page headlines in London.

Heck, for years I could not enter their "American Bar" without a jacket and tie. Now, I could go "casual" there. Why? If they did not allow it, no one would show up!

However, a little common sense goes a long way when dressing for dinner, and bare feet is pushing the extremes! Carnival should have enforced this.

Im very interested in whom the gentlemen talked to, if you know?

He went to the hostess stand; there was more than one person standing at it, so I'm not sure which person responded to him. It seems like he said "she" but that could be mistaken.

We were on the same cruise and we were also very surprised at the lack of clothing during meals. Especially at the buffet were about half were not wearing shirts, cover-ups or shoes. I am all for being relaxed and having fun but put a shirt on at least to go eat!

Though I do have to say that this cruise was FILLED with mostly a younger crowd.

Why would the appearance of others bother you? Its the same as if you said "I dont want to to eat dinner in the same room as ugly or fat people."

Since you are only allowed one 50LB bag, how would you have enough formal attire for 7 nights?

I get my bag for free, and pay for extras, and I've done formal (tuxedo) on six-night trans-Atlantic crossings on Cunard. All nights except first and last are formal. The rest require jacket and tie.

Why would the appearance of others bother me? Because it shows DISRESPECT to the venue and their staff. I don't care if they are overweight or not the most attractive, it's what you wear! BE RESPECTFUL!

Well-tailored clothing, whether custom made or off the rack is always comfortable to wear. Of course, there are those who do not know how to tie a "double-Windsor" in their tie- this assumes they own a tie!

It was the "no shoes" thing that bothered me. The people in shorts and tank tops and flip flops didn't bother me. The "no shoes" just shocked me I suppose; I think you even have to wear shoes to White Castle! I'm guessing he had shoes of some type; pretty sure if he flew, he had to wear shoes. And it's not the same as your ugly/fat people suggestion. It seemed unsanitary.

And I suppose that, as a teacher, I feel that if there are rules, they should be enforced; otherwise, why have them in the first place? I was surprised at the response. Again, just wish I'd not mentioned it at all. It was a great cruise - as all have been.

My DS (16) on our spring break cruise this past April on the Splendor learned a lesson the hard way. I told him it was inappropriate to wear a baseball cap to dinner (especially on elegant night) but he didn't listen and showed up wearing one anyway. I was ticked off and ready to tell him to leave and eat somewhere else when MD came over and asked him to remove his hat. My DS immediately took it off and was so embarassed I didn't have to say a word to him. He's been taught better but let's face it he's a teenager and all that rebellious stuff is par for the course. However, I told him under no circumstances was he to show up for dinner again on a cruise with his hat on. His reply, "Don't worry, I don't want to be embarassed like that again. As with most teenagers...lesson learned the hard way! LOL:D

These days I've seen men of all ages from little kids to retirees wearing baseball caps in restaurants of all kinds from McDonalds to exclusive ones. But "bare feet"!:eek: That is totally unacceptable and he should have been asked to leave. There was no excuse for letting him get away with such an unsanitary thing!:eek:

Now we know why they can cut the menu, cut the live music, cut the menu some more, well....pretty much cut everything until it;s just a bus ride across the sea.

Bring on the slovenliness!!!!! How low can you go?!!!?

My DS (16) on our spring break cruise this past April on the Splendor learned a lesson the hard way. I told him it was inappropriate to wear a baseball cap to dinner (especially on elegant night) but he didn't listen and showed up wearing one anyway. I was ticked off and ready to tell him to leave and eat somewhere else when MD came over and asked him to remove his hat. My DS immediately took it off and was so embarassed I didn't have to say a word to him. He's been taught better but let's face it he's a teenager and all that rebellious stuff is par for the course. However, I told him under no circumstances was he to show up for dinner again on a cruise with his hat on. His reply, "Don't worry, I don't want to be embarassed like that again. As with most teenagers...lesson learned the hard way! LOL:D

These days I've seen men of all ages from little kids to retirees wearing baseball caps in restaurants of all kinds from McDonalds to exclusive ones. But "bare feet"!:eek: That is totally unacceptable and he should have been asked to leave. There was no excuse for letting him get away with such an unsanitary thing!:eek:

In fairness, why did you let him try to wear it to the dining room as opposed to telling him to leave it or don't come along?

Carnival seems to be inconsistent with their enforcement of the rules and that is where many of the lively discussions on CC begin. I have been denied entrance into the MDR at breakfast because I had on a cover-up (it looked like a sundress but you could see the straps of my swimsuit I totally understood and went and changed), so someone without shoes should be denied entrance but it doesn't always happen.

Now we know why they can cut the menu, cut the live music, cut the menu some more, well....pretty much cut everything until it;s just a bus ride across the sea.

Bring on the slovenliness!!!!! How low can you go?!!!?

I hate to say it, but right you are! Anything to get people on the ship. :cool:

It was the "no shoes" thing that bothered me. The people in shorts and tank tops and flip flops didn't bother me. The "no shoes" just shocked me I suppose; I think you even have to wear shoes to White Castle! I'm guessing he had shoes of some type; pretty sure if he flew, he had to wear shoes. And it's not the same as your ugly/fat people suggestion. It seemed unsanitary.

And I suppose that, as a teacher, I feel that if there are rules, they should be enforced; otherwise, why have them in the first place? I was surprised at the response. Again, just wish I'd not mentioned it at all. It was a great cruise - as all have been.

how are flip flops unsanitary? if anything feet get more sweaty in socks/shoes. In flip flops they are able to breath

how are flip flops unsanitary? if anything feet get more sweaty in socks/shoes. In flip flops they are able to breath

I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. The person was BAREFOOT. That is just nasty. :eek:

Couples can cruise for less than $200/day. At that price you will encounter all types of people, many whom have very limited wardrobes and don't care how they look. With cruise ship capacity increasing and the economy remaining weak, I don't see things improving. To avoid the problem, go with a more expensive cruise line, go on longer cruises, or learn to deal with it.

Regardless of all of that, you can't convince me that the guy didn't bring a pair of shoes with him on the ship.

Don't take it personally.......I definitely wouldn't be put off by anything THAT guy says.

So...what's to stop women if they want to go topless? Or how about men in their Speedos to the MDR?

If Carnival is going downhill, it's because Carnival is allowing themselves to do so.

My dh was turned away at lunch in the MDR on the EOS in Nov. Before we entered the MDR he was told that they don't allow tank tops. He went back to the cabin and put on a polo. No problem.

While I agree that wearing no shoes in the MDR is rather uncouth, I can't help but wonder if there was an underlying reason for it.

I'm thinking about one time in Mexico where my son's shoes were stolen on the beach. Maybe the guy only brought one pair and something happened to it? Maybe he explained to the DR staff and they took pity? I dunno. Or maybe he's just some weirdo hippy type.

I know one thing, if he'd have been in the DR with me, I'd have sure enough asked him. If you're brazen enough to show up without shoes, you should expect to be called on it.

I feel less guilty for feeling upset about it now! LOL I didn't want to seem like an old fuddy-duddy. The meals were excellent; maybe the best food we have had on any cruise. I think I was just as surprised at the response the man at our table got as I was that someone came to dinner that way! How hard would it have been to slip on a pair of flip flops? ;0

I care about what my son wears to a dinner table because it's my job to care otherwise I'm pretty much oblivious. I really couldn't care less about what other people wear but bare feet would skeeve me out.

Not over reacting at all. In 2009 on conquest a

Had a young couple with swimming suits, tank top, flop type attire and was amazed they had the guts to come to MDR, on formal night non the less. At least they had on shoes. I think some reinforcement should be applied at least at a minimum.

Archived