Great trip, but...

goLC

Sailed on Fascination recently. I am not a complainer; we had a great trip, lots of relaxation, which was the goal. I don't usually care what others are wearing to dinner; we dress every night, but I don't get bent out of shape when others dress differently. However, on this cruise we saw a young man with a backwards baseball cap, gym shorts, and no shoes in the dining room. The gentleman who we shared a table with went and asked why the dress code wasn't enforced better and was told if they enforced it, the dining room would be empty. Again, most things don't bother me, but this did. Am I over-reacting? I think it was the no-shoes that got me.

Isn't the no shoes thing a health and safety rule? I mean you can't go to any store or restaurant on land without them. "No Shirts, No Shoes, No Service." You would think they'd at least be able to enforce that!

No shoes is a health code violation. I have often wondered how they get by with no shoes in the lido buffet. I would of taken my complaint higher up. Every cruise I have taken the MDR is very busy. I think the excuse they gave you was because they didn't want the confrontation. Maybe you should consider filing a formal complaint with Carnival.

Sailed on Fascination recently. I am not a complainer; we had a great trip, lots of relaxation, which was the goal. I don't usually care what others are wearing to dinner; we dress every night, but I don't get bent out of shape when others dress differently. However, on this cruise we saw a young man with a backwards baseball cap, gym shorts, and no shoes in the dining room. The gentleman who we shared a table with went and asked why the dress code wasn't enforced better and was told if they enforced it, the dining room would be empty. Again, most things don't bother me, but this did. Am I over-reacting? I think it was the no-shoes that got me.

You are not overreacting at all. The baseball cap and gym shorts are bad enough in the dining room BUT NO SHOES????? That is almost unbelievable. I would be insulted by that at McDonalds. I would probably gag on my food if I had to eat at the same table. It's funny to read this today because I took my mother and my 80 year old father out to dinner last night (early Father's Day) and my father made comments about a man at a nearby table wearing a baseball cap at that table. He made a comment about 'young people' nowdays having no table manners, but luckily I was able to point out another man across the room in a cap who looked to be about 90. My father said it was 'still mostly young people" with no manners.....LOL

I feel less guilty for feeling upset about it now! LOL I didn't want to seem like an old fuddy-duddy. The meals were excellent; maybe the best food we have had on any cruise. I think I was just as surprised at the response the man at our table got as I was that someone came to dinner that way! How hard would it have been to slip on a pair of flip flops? ;0

I feel less guilty for feeling upset about it now! LOL I didn't want to seem like an old fuddy-duddy. The meals were excellent; maybe the best food we have had on any cruise. I think I was just as surprised at the response the man at our table got as I was that someone came to dinner that way! How hard would it have been to slip on a pair of flip flops? ;0

Hard....it would have required the guy to use some of his brain cells.

i asked JH on FB

That is gross! If Carnival lets people get away with dressing (or not) like that, it's their fault! They are dis-respecting their other passengers by letting others walk in the MDR like that. I feel not valued by them chosing to let the minority do that over the majority. I believe that most people would follow a few small rules if they had to.

Couples can cruise for less than $200/day. At that price you will encounter all types of people, many whom have very limited wardrobes and don't care how they look. With cruise ship capacity increasing and the economy remaining weak, I don't see things improving. To avoid the problem, go with a more expensive cruise line, go on longer cruises, or learn to deal with it.

My husband was turned away at Breakfast in the main dinning room for wearing a tank top. He was told they where was not allowed.... This was last March. I have noticed the dress code has become more casual on our last few cruises.

Friends we cruise with refuse to 'dress' up. Their reasoning is they are on vacation and should be able to dress however they want. When they do eat in the main dining room they do dress, but they have started eating on the lido deck for most meals.

Archived