Seasoned cruiser takes on Carnival.

Tutankhamen

We do not book shore excursions. For the most part I research the ports and go in with a relaxed plan that gets adjusted according to weather and how we feel.

COZUMEL.

We have been here many times. Against better judgment, we rented a Smart car. It was real nice to have the top that went down, but also have the comfort of the AC. We drove south from the port and stopped at Paradise beach. Do to sea currents (my guess) the water was very muddy and kind of gross looking. We drove to the other side of the island and took some amazing photos of the ocean and explored the beaches. We then circled threw town and had lunch at Ernesto’s. The food was pretty good, but not as good as our last visit here. Jumped in our “island Ferrari” to find a secluded beach on the western side of the island. We found a small beach with several local families taking a swim. Clear water, a little rocky but beautiful. Spent a half hour splashing around.

BELIZE.

First time here. We took the tender to port and did some window shopping. We ventured outside the gates and walked around the city near the swing bridge. Walked to the light house to take some pictures. Very poor, and probably the first time I felt uneasy on an island. We went back to the port and grabbed a tender back to the ship. Got to see some dolphins on the ride back to the Dream.

ROATAN.

We love it here. We took a cab to West End and knocked around town for a little. Grabbed a cab to West Bay Beach and spent the rest of the day laying on the beach, drinking some rum punch from Banana Rama and swimming in crystal clear water. Took a cab back to the port and took a peak at the beach at the pier. Looked nice, but we preferred West Bay.

COSTA MAYA.

We rented a golf cart and took off on our own towards town. Along the way there was a boy walking to school. We pulled over and gave him a lift. He didn’t speak English we don’t speak Spanish. Drove a good ways down the sandy road, then circled back to the small town and ate lunch at Fernando’s. Had a sampler platter that had shrimp, chicken, quesadillas, steak, vegetables and beans. It was very good. 3 sodas and a shot of tequila. 18dollars and worth every penny. Drove back to the pier, watched people drink and get crazy at Senor Frogs then headed to our Cove balcony to watch the parties crawl back to the ship. Another great day!!

We loved the ports other then Belize. If we ever go back, I would give in and book a shore excursion.

Next up.......a final wrap up!!

Was this corey rogers

Yes, Corey is sitting in the "big chair" for awhile.

For those who do not know, Corey is not a permanent CD yet.

He is an "acting" CD, which is a step (usually for one year) that Carnival requires all their Cruise Directors to go through before being promoted to "the big chair".

Corey just started his one year probation period.

Against better judgment, we rented a Smart car. !!

Why did you say it was against your better judgement? Did you have any problems? Where was the car rental place and did you arrange it in advance? It sounds like it was a great way to get around in Cozumel.

Why did you say it was against your better judgement? Did you have any problems? Where was the car rental place and did you arrange it in advance? It sounds like it was a great way to get around in Cozumel.

Thanks again everyone for all the positive support!!

I will try to get to the rest and to respond to all those who asked questions after my fathers day dinner. Fogo De Chao!! The last thing I need after all the food on the Dream!

To the above poster, it is risky. If you get into an accident and injure someone in port, there is a very good chance that you will not be able to get back to the ship on time. You will also be responsible to pay the injured party all money they loose from being out of work. It is risky, but a risk that I choose to take.

He is an "acting" CD, which is a step (usually for one year) that Carnival requires all their Cruise Directors to go through before being promoted to "the big chair".

I had corey 17 months ago as the CD on triumph b2b

You CAN write! Loved the comparsion and enjoyed Thomas Anderson song "is this love"

The "other side" of Cozumel is a great way to spend the day. The photo opps are great. Bars too! We stopped at Chen Rio for a wonderful lunch just fresh from the sea. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with us :D

Is this Corey the red-haired kind of short, heavy-set?

If SO....he was cruise director during our Oct 2010 Triumph cruise THEN assistant CD on the Elation May 2011.....so he's been back and forth for a while...

I highly recommend next time in Belize you go cave tubing with Major Tom. He and his son and the rest of his crew are great and the cave tubing itself is really a good time. You'll be well taken care of and have no worries about safety.

We also were in Roatan on that cruise (Glory May 2008). We had a driver who gave us an island tour and then took us to West Bay Beach. Gorgeous place!

Now I'm starting to think that I need to do another Western itinerary. ;)

May I ask where you stayed in Port Canaveral? We stayed at the Radisson last time, but since I'm going early (solo on leg 1 of my B2B), I'm thinking about getting a room closer to the beach.

I'm not the op but will help in answering. The last few times we have cruised from PC, we have stayed at either the Hilton or the Doubletree in Cocoa Beach, both right on the beach. Doubletree is a bit nicer accomodations however we prefer the outside bar (no not big drinkers, just like the relaxation there) at the Hilton better. Sometimes they have live music there too.

You cannot go wrong with either one.

Tim

\

May I ask where you stayed in Port Canaveral? We stayed at the Radisson last time, but since I'm going early (solo on leg 1 of my B2B), I'm thinking about getting a room closer to the beach.

We stayed at the Radisson when we sailed on the Ecstasy on the 4th. Loved it!!! Definitely will stay there again next time we leave out of Canaveral.

We stayed at the Radisson when we sailed on the Ecstasy on the 4th. Loved it!!! Definitely will stay there again next time we leave out of Canaveral.

We have stayed there as well and it is very nice. The only negative, not beachfront and since we live in the midwest we enjoy the beach and the view that comes with it.

Tim

Great review!! Don't tell us you cannot write, we all know different. ;)

I really like your fair and balanced comparisons, telling us why one is better than the other with an explaination is wonderful. Normal reviews just say their opinion, you back yours up.

Since we have normally sail only RCCL and are looking for a change, your review is refreshing.

Tim

I agree, good job so far...we're RCCLers usually so I am enjoying the comparisons also. Thanks! :D

Is this Corey the red-haired kind of short, heavy-set?

If SO....he was cruise director during our Oct 2010 Triumph cruise THEN assistant CD on the Elation May 2011.....so he's been back and forth for a while...

Yes, all the ACD's routinely fill in when needed.

And yes, that is him. Our Drew Carey look alike....we love him.

COSTA MAYA.

...ate lunch at Fernando’s. Had a sampler platter that had shrimp, chicken, quesadillas, steak, vegetables and beans. It was very good. 3 sodas and a shot of tequila.

The "shot of tequila" cracked me up.

After reading my dyslexic review I noticed I left out some stuff I wanted to mention.

ALL THINGS COVE CABIN:

The location of our cabin, 2368, was more towards the middle/AFT. It was fairly close to the middle elevators. I had read where people complained about slow elevators. We never had a problem WHEN we used these elevators. We did try to use the steps, but that faded as the week went on. The elevators were convenient for the Gathering. The beds were very comfortable for cruise line standards. Pillows were very puffy. Probably the best sleep I had on a ship. Another bonus was we were directly above a door that was used for the pilot to climb up and down the ladder. Our balcony railing never got sprayed with water, but we did have fairly calm seas. We were port side and just happened to be facing port everyday which was also nice. The one problem, and I say that lightly, is I couldn't get the cabin cold enough. However, I keep my house at 65 degrees. When we have the option I will definitely book a Cove.

JUICE, BOOZE AND CARRY ON:

I have spoken about smuggling. Even eluded in the past stating I would smuggle. Truth is, I would not feel comfortable smuggling. But have no issues with those that choose to sneak on a little something something. I really appreciate that they allow my wife and I to bring 2 bottles of wine. I also brought on a 12 pack of Sprite zero, which I didn't even finish. Having a glass of wine, watching the sun set as the wife made herself look even more stunning was wonderful. I do think the prices for drinks is ridiculous. I am not a heavy drinker and the wife doesn't drink at all. But 8-10 dollars for a drink that isn't really that strong is a bit much. But being allowed to bring on wine more then leveled that out for the amount I consume. Having lemonade, ice-t or some type of juice available 24hours was really nice, but WOW, that lemonade is strong!! tasted like pure concentrate. Easy fix with a little water. Again, all of this beats FOS/CP.

SMELLS AND MOVEMENTS:

Movements as in ship, not the one linked to smells...lol. The ship did rock a little but it didn't seem to rock anymore then other ships. Seas were fairly calm, so I am not sure how she would handle in rougher water. Only one time did I smell the "sewer smell" that I have smelled on all ships. It lasted for about 30 steps threw one corridor. That was it. FOS was the worst for the "smell". Not sure if I was just lucky to be at another location when the wind was ripe, but my wife, who doesn't read the boards even mention the lack of the "smell".

DRESS CODE:

Prior to this sailing I was old school when it came to dinner on a ship. I enjoyed putting on a tux for formal night, getting a photo with my bride. I was worried that it would take away from the cruise not having a tux. Worried that I would see cruisers dressed like they were heading to the local water hole. I was pleasantly surprised to see people weren't dressed sloppy. Most people were dressed appropriately. I was more shocked how much I enjoyed NOT getting all decked out. It was nice just packing button down shirts with ties. It makes sense as even some of the fancy restaurants here in Philadelphia you see people dressing less formal.

I will end this by saying we had a GREAT cruise. I now truly understand the tag line " fun ships." The Dream was truly fun. I use to interpret their use of the word "fun" as party. Visions of drunks staggering down the hall, people passed out in elevators and people getting sick. OK, I am exaggerating, but I did expect more of an obnoxious party atmosphere. What I experienced, from the moment I stepped on board and saw the DJ playing some fun music, was a fun environment. A clientele that enjoyed having fun. The disco had life to it, the lounges had people singing and laughing, just an all around fun time. This was the FIRST ship that we stepped off of and said we would book again. We usually have the feeling of, "seen that done that", but with the Dream we stepped off saying I wish we would of had more time to "see that or do that."

Thanks for reading

Wow!!

I really enjoyed your entire review. I love the comparison to the other cruise lines. It is nice to see someone cruise with Carnival with an open mind - and one who appreciates the atmosphere of FUN.

We were on the Dream and same itinerary in August. We did book a Cave Tubing tour with CaveTubing.BZ and had a blast. It was one of the highlights of the week, in fact.

Thank you again for sharing and hopefully you can book another Carnival cruise soon!

Catrin

Yes, all the ACD's routinely fill in when needed.

And yes, that is him. Our Drew Carey look alike....we love him.

I had great CD my last 3 cruises i had corey B2B and brad on freedom brad introduced me to the captain first formal night next formal night i was eating with the help LOL

Archived