Mini Review: Dawn Boston to Bermuda, June 8-15

spunkyhungry

I just got back from my cruise to Bermuda, and I'm posting a mini review of the trip. I'll divide my review into 3 categories: excellent, good/average, and needs improvement. Overall, it was a great cruise, and we had tons of fun! To give some background, I'm a 27 year old woman and have gone on 6 cruises on 3 different lines (NCL, Princess, Carnival). I sailed with my husband (28) who has also sailed on these lines once each.

Excellent

-Embarkation/Disembarkation - smooth, quick, easy processes

-Food - I have no idea why NCL has such a bad reputation for having bad food on cruise critic. After both of my NCL cruises I have thought the food was the best of all the cruise lines I've been on. My husband and mom also think their food is the best, too. On this cruise, I particularly LOVED the french fries. They were so delicious! The burgers and steaks were also great, too. We ate breakfast/lunch in the main dining room and buffet, and we ate dinner at the specialty restaurants and buffet. We also ordered room service and ate from the BBQ at the pool. All were excellent.

-Staff's knowledge of gluten free food and my ability to go to any restaurant and be able to easily find food I could eat.

-Bermuda! It was beautiful, and we did lots of fun activities.

-Lots of karaoke opportunities and fun game shows aboard the ship. We also enjoyed the improv comedy group.

-Our inside cabin was very nice. Spacious bathroom. We had a great room steward who always addressed us by name, asked how our cruise was, and would stop what he was doing to get us fresh beach towels.

Good/Average

-service

-variety of activities

-decor

-nice pool area, plenty of lounge chairs

Needs Improvement

-Disappointed that water slides and arcade were only in kids area. Some adults enjoy these, too!

-Gluten free bread based products (pizza, muffins, bread, etc.). I found it confusing and difficult to figure out how to get these products. Basically I had to pre-order them from the Venetian dining room, but some days we didn't eat there, so I wasn't able to get them. However, at Cagney's the server offered me gluten free bread and cake without my having to ask for them, so that was nice. While I enjoyed the cake and waffles, the other bread products were gross. They tasted like they had been frozen and then microwaved. I understand that it's difficult for the ship to prepare this stuff, but at home I would let it sit out to defrost or toast the bread. Microwaving it makes it taste bad. The food would arrive too hot to eat, and if I let it cool it would harden like a rock. I only had each of these items once and didn't get them again.

-No comedians. This was very disappointing, since they are always a highlight of our cruises.

-This is a personal opinion, but I was not impressed with heavily featured performers Greg London and Patti and Jose.

-Karaoke Idol was a popularity contest. The winner was based on who had the most friends who could scream the loudest, not on who had the most talent.

-The Oasis Pool was nice, but I wish there was a second pool that you didn't have to pay to use.

-Mixed drinks. I felt disgusted after drinking only a little of my pina colada. I usually like this drink, but it tasted like it was made from fake ingredients. Also, I tried to order a rum runner (which was on the menu) at 3 different bars, and they were all unable to make it.

Despite the things needing improvement, I loved the cruise and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Edited by spunkyhungry

I wanted to add something to my review but didn't realize the edit button disappears after 20 minutes. That's annoying. Anyway, I thought of one more excellent thing:

-Attention to cleanliness/prevention of spreading germs. I loved how the hand sanitizers were all over the place, including the elevators. I liked how everyone was required to cleanse their hands when entering the ship and buffet (whereas on other cruise lines cleaning your hands is optional).

No comedian, Dave Heenan was always the comedian on the Dawn. I realize sometimes the entertainment changes ships, however, Dave was with the Dawn what seemed forever. Wonder what happened to Dave?

No comedian, Dave Heenan was always the comedian on the Dawn. I realize sometimes the entertainment changes ships, however, Dave was with the Dawn what seemed forever. Wonder what happened to Dave?

Great review to the OP. I hope we have a comedian for the 8/24 cruise. It certainly wouln't be something to ruin the cruise though.

• 4 weeks later...

How did you find the atrium venue for Jose and Patti? Their shows are meant to be in a more intimate setting and I would think that would make a huge difference. They just react with their audience so well and that is part of their appeal.

• 2 months later...

We had over 140 people on the Dawn that gave GREG LONDON a standing ovation. It was one of the best show we have ever seen. Our group was aged 29 to 40 and it was awesome. We didn't like the Jise and Patti show. Anyway saw your review and we found it funny the best thing about the Dawn was Las Vegas Hilton Headliner Greg London !!!:)

I am a GF cruiser too and I agree with your thoughts on the GF food. I think NCL has the best GF options, but wish that they would look into some of the new brands of GF breads. (hint, hint, NCL!) :) I have found that the brand that they use, when being frozen, is only "ok" when it is toasted and then only used with lots of butter.

I think that you did not feel well after the mixed drink because their pina colada mix has MFS. Took me awhile to figure that out.

Thanks for posting. I always like to see when others that have to eat GF have a good cruise.

Kim

• 4 months later...
I don't understand your question?

I'm glad people liked reading my review. Thanks for commenting! :)

LOL I think it was meant "now I'm just doing cruises."

I wasn't impressed with him (not my cup of tea) but my mom and sister didn't mind him. I did make friends with a girl he tried to schmooz up during the trip. She was naive enough to think he was nice and I found it pretty entertaining. "Interesting conversations" for sure to reference an earlier post. He talked about his manscaping preferences over drinks, TMI for me.

MEMORABLE cruise though!! LOL

Thank you for writing this review.

We did enjoy Patti & Jose, but not Greg London.

Loved them on the Dream years ago and more recently on the Dawn. They are wonderful. Love how well Jose does Neil Diamond as well as Johnny Cash.

Thanks for your review ... glad you enjoyed the food.

I just got back from my cruise to Bermuda, and I'm posting a mini review of the trip. I'll divide my review into 3 categories: excellent, good/average, and needs improvement. Overall, it was a great cruise, and we had tons of fun! To give some background, I'm a 27 year old woman and have gone on 6 cruises on 3 different lines (NCL, Princess, Carnival). I sailed with my husband (28) who has also sailed on these lines once each.

Needs Improvement

-The Oasis Pool was nice, but I wish there was a second pool that you didn't have to pay to use.

-

Despite the things needing improvement, I loved the cruise and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Hi - thanks for the review we are going in July and this will be both our first time to Bermuda as well a first on NCL (sailed Carnival and RCC) and one of your comments caught my attention- what did you mean that you the second pool was a pay pool?

Thanks so much!

Tammi

Hi - thanks for the review we are going in July and this will be both our first time to Bermuda as well a first on NCL (sailed Carnival and RCC) and one of your comments caught my attention- what did you mean that you the second pool was a pay pool?

Thanks so much!

Tammi

There is a small indoor lap pool in the spa area which is supposed to be used as an exercise pool. Since it is in the spa area there is a charge to use it alike everything else in the spa area.

• 1 year later...