Apology Ltr to Milestone cruisers

satex

Here is the email I received from Carnival trying to apology to their most loyal cruisers.

Dear Milestone Guest,

I am writing to you to express our sincere apologies for the confusion and disappointment related to how our Milestone Rewards program is incorporated into our new VIFP Club recognition program. A number of our loyal guests who have sailed 25-plus times with Carnival have expressed their disappointment with our decision not to issue Milestone cards to everyone who has reached the 25-plus threshold on every subsequent sailing. Additionally, it has come to our attention that misinformation was provided by several of our call center associates and other Carnival employees related to how the two programs would work together in the future. On behalf of all of us at Carnival, I’m very sorry.

The changes we have announced are designed to make certain that we properly recognize members celebrating their 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th cruise while also improving the recognition elements of the Platinum level by investing more in the elite members’ party, as well as improving the quality of the gifts delivered on each sailing. While I can understand and appreciate the disappointment in no longer receiving a Milestone card, I am confident that when you experience the new elements onboard, you will see that we have taken positive steps to further recognize your value to Carnival.

It is also true that we have changed some of the current benefits, including changes to laundry service and guarantees of dining times and reservations. The changes in the laundry service and dining guarantees are necessary given the growth in the number of Platinum members, and our unwillingness to promise a benefit that we know we cannot always fulfill. While we know thedecision to make these changes has opened us up to some justifiable criticism, we would rather make these modifications to the program now than over-promise and under-deliver on board.

Please be assured, these changes were not made lightly. But our goal is to deliver a consistent, fun and memorable experience to our most loyal guests. We believe these changes will allow us to do just that as well as position us to continue to deliver on that promise well into the future.

Thank you so very much for your loyalty to Carnival. We greatly value your business and I look forward to seeing you on board, enjoying the new VIFP Club benefits very soon.

Sincerely,

James Berra

Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

Now if you agree with these, then we all wish you happy cruising. However, it your one of thousands that have been deceived by Carnival, I encourage you to contact Carnival Rewards program manager at Carnival Corporate Offices at 800 438 6944

Either we stand up for what is right or we roll over and let Carnival treat their most loyal cruisers like dirt.

Interesting letter. If it is to be believed, then I would say Carnival does want their long term customers to stay with them.

Many CC members who have the "If you don't like it don't let the balcony door hit you in the a$$" have tried to build a case here for the past 3 weeks that Carnival is only interested in newbies.

Well this letter certainly doesn't support their case.

Rich,

I'm just a newbie with one cruise under my belt. so correct me if I'm wrong. You are upset you are not going to have a 25th cruise milestone card issued on your 26th cruise?

No that is not it at all for the Milestone cruisers. That is what Carnival is trying to make us believe it is what it is about.

Carnival promised all Milestone cruisers they would be grandfathered into the top tier, which is Diamond, and they were not. They did not live up to their promise to the Milestone cruisers.

Rich,

I'm just a newbie with one cruise under my belt. so correct me if I'm wrong. You are upset you are not going to have a 25th cruise milestone card issued on your 26th cruise?

I have more then 25 cruises and it is the fact that Milestone cruisers were told by several people at Carnival to include the senior cruise director (who happens to be upper management) that when these changes went into effect that Milestone cruisers would be grandfathered into the upper tier. Now they are not backing up their word.

I thought Milestone and VIP/VIFP were 2 separate entities. I dont know how a person could believe you would be Grandfathered from one to the other.

Seriously

Sure, someone said something and posted something and someone said that they knew a guy who heard that this was going to happen. Nobody bothered to wait for the "Official Roll Out" from Carnival.

I thought Milestone and VIP/VIFP were 2 separate entities. I dont know how a person could believe you would be Grandfathered from one to the other.

Seriously

Sure, someone said something and posted something and someone said that they knew a guy who heard that this was going to happen. Nobody bothered to wait for the "Official Roll Out" from Carnival.

They are and always have been. Even if not, the programs have always been subject to change and still are.

I have more then 25 cruises and it is the fact that Milestone cruisers were told by several people at Carnival to include the senior cruise director (who happens to be upper management) that when these changes went into effect that Milestone cruisers would be grandfathered into the upper tier. Now they are not backing up their word.

It is not my intent to start a verbal back and forth with you or anyone else here, but this claim has been made here by many people, in many threads. My question is what document from Carnival do you have that contains this "promise"?

If you refer to a blog by JH, that is NOT an official Carnival forum, but a way to use social media to express two way opinions to/from Carnival. And as he has said himself, JH has been scolded in the past for saying somethings he was not supposed to. So if you claim HE said it, he has already said he is NOT the official spokesperson, no matter how "brilliant" the new system is or not.

Happy Cruising, Seriousy, in whatever line you choose.

It is not my intent to start a verbal back and forth with you or anyone else here, but this claim has been made here by many people, in many threads. My question is what document from Carnival do you have that contains this "promise"?

If you refer to a blog by JH, that is NOT an official Carnival forum, but a way to use social media to express two way opinions to/from Carnival. And as he has said himself, JH has been scolded in the past for saying somethings he was not supposed to. So if you claim HE said it, he has already said he is NOT the official spokesperson, no matter how "brilliant" the new system is or not.

It was asked and answered many times on the Carnival website in Forum section by Carnival employess that Milestone would be grandfathered into the top tier. They even encouraged people that were close to 25 cruises to book them so they would be grandfathered into the top tier.

I just don't know what more in writing anyone needs. And by the way John, as senior cruise director and brand ambassador, is part of Carnival's management team.

Never the less, comments were made by JH and he assured Milestone members that they would be grandfathered. Being a trusted member of the staff, I would think that the man would know something. Guess it just shows us that even the Senior Cruise Director doesn't know what he is talking about. I also have names of many upper line supervisors with Carnival that stated the same thing (even as late as last night). Bottom line is that it is all about the $$$$.

I'm new to cruising, so call me crazy, but uh..people are making this seem like Carnival is our government and we are the people and these changes will be life altering.

Carnival is a business. So if they suddenly decide to not give us more perks, does that mean they are "oppressing" us?

I mean companies promise things all the time and don't follow through. That's how life is. Don't you think it would be much worse if they grandfathered every one in and then realized they can't live up to those expectations and suddenly drop the whole loyalty program?

It was asked and answered many times on the Carnival website in Forum section by Carnival employess that Milestone would be grandfathered into the top tier. They even encouraged people that were close to 25 cruises to book them so they would be grandfathered into the top tier.

If you have screen shots of those sessions, than by all means, bring them forward and send them in to the lady SATEX gave info on above. But even infomation given in a session like that is not usually binding, legally.

And by the way John, as senior cruise director and brand ambassador, is part of Carnival's management team.

He may be, but unless he has some resolution authority granted him by his contract or job description, he is still only a mouthpiece, and not an official spokeperson!

Never the less, comments were made by JH and he assured Milestone members that they would be grandfathered. Being a trusted member of the staff, I would think that the man would know something. Guess it just shows us that even the Senior Cruise Director doesn't know what he is talking about.

This kinda makes my point. You are right, when he posted that, he didn't know what he was talking about. And look, any criticism you have of JH for saying something taken as fact that was just speculation is certainly warranted! He spoke out of his "arse" most likely about something he had "heard", but had nothing to back it up!

I also have names of many upper line supervisors with Carnival that stated the same thing (even as late as last night). Bottom line is that it is all about the $$$$.

Yes it is! $$$$ speaks volumes. As far as the names, get one of them, like the one who confirmed for you last night, to put it in writing, on CCL letterhead, and see how far you get. If you get it, GREAT for you milestone members!! You deserve it!

My instinct though is that you will not.

I just called and left a voicemail... we'll see if she responds...

I was told numerous times that I should get 25 cruises in so I would be grandfathered in to the highest tier... which we now know is diamond!!!! What's so hard to understand here?

what is it that you want....or feel like you are missing out on?

I get it based on principle, but beyond that, what are you missing out on?

I want what I was promised. I booked extra cruises to hit 25 so I would be grandfathered in just like the borderline platinum cruisers....

I work at a large resort that has been doing business for several decades. for the last 36 or so months, we have been telling our returning guests of the major renovations that would be happening, even as the property continued to become more and more run down. Finally, after 3 years, the renovations will begin, however, they will not be the renovations we so gladly, proudly promised. They have been streamed lined to fit the economy of not only our resort, but that of our most loyal of guests.

I, like JH, was giving out the information that was being given to me concerning that which would be happening. As with JH, I am now seen as one that mislead, lied and exaggerated the renovations, but did I really do that or did I just repeat what information I was given?

Just as JH, I would tell guests that this is what I am being told and that as I received additional information, I would relay it to them. Imagine my surprise when I was informed by those that were in the BIG offices, that the renovation was to be toned down. That even though they had told me how the changes would be, even giving me photos to "brag" with, it would not be as first thought.

There are those guests that will not be returning to our resort ever again due to this, and others that still find that what we offer is what they are looking for.

Point is this ... when one looks at making MAJOR changes, it is very easy to say this or that will happen, however, as money and service is being considered, things will change.

I do not believe that JH or Carnival "lied" to anyone, I believe they had every intention of creating the loyalty program as first spoken of, but as they started to review what these changes meant to not only the "bottom line" but to the service they offered, it required them to amend their original ideas. Call it bad business, call it lying, or call it the reality of our economy, it is a decision that had to be made, no matter how unpopular it is.

I work at a large resort that has been doing business for several decades. for the last 36 or so months, we have been telling our returning guests of the major renovations that would be happening, even as the property continued to become more and more run down. Finally, after 3 years, the renovations will begin, however, they will not be the renovations we so gladly, proudly promised. They have been streamed lined to fit the economy of not only our resort, but that of our most loyal of guests.

I, like JH, was giving out the information that was being given to me concerning that which would be happening. As with JH, I am now seen as one that mislead, lied and exaggerated the renovations, but did I really do that or did I just repeat what information I was given?

Just as JH, I would tell guests that this is what I am being told and that as I received additional information, I would relay it to them. Imagine my surprise when I was informed by those that were in the BIG offices, that the renovation was to be toned down. That even though they had told me how the changes would be, even giving me photos to "brag" with, it would not be as first thought.

There are those guests that will not be returning to our resort ever again due to this, and others that still find that what we offer is what they are looking for.

Point is this ... when one looks at making MAJOR changes, it is very easy to say this or that will happen, however, as money and service is being considered, things will change.

I do not believe that JH or Carnival "lied" to anyone, I believe they had every intention of creating the loyalty program as first spoken of, but as they started to review what these changes meant to not only the "bottom line" but to the service they offered, it required them to amend their original ideas. Call it bad business, call it lying, or call it the reality of our economy, it is a decision that had to be made, no matter how unpopular it is.

You don't tell people to book extra cruises to be grandfathered into a tier and then take that away. That's called lying.

Satex, this might help. Someone else posted this- I just happened to save it.

Thanks for posting this and proving my point. His last installment, quoted below, kinda sums it up. See, he was NOT speaking from facts, and admits it. Brow-beat him all you want... he probably deserves it. But he cannot control what the "beards" at CCL do. He gets a paycheck, not signs them.

5/14/12 - I have made quite a few mistakes since I started writing blogs and there have been times when in retrospect I probably should not have written about certain subjects. Top of that list is the new loyalty program which I first wrote about some two years ago or thereabouts. Back then it looked like we were just a few weeks away from launching but suddenly we were not and I was told that the project was far grander than first planned and it was going to be not weeks but months, lots of months before we were ready to announce what we were doing. It was my fault, 100% my fault. I was so anxious to tell you all that this exciting program was on the way that I jumped the gun so to speak and here we are still waiting.

Since then I have been ridiculed somewhat for this by posters here, on Facebook and on Cruise Critic and rightly so. I can understand why and as I said, it’s my fault. If I didn’t have this social media site and my Facebook page then nobody would have been any the wiser and while I think for the most part that my pages do help get the Carnival messages out and while they do keep you informed, there are times when silence would have been as golden. So please let me apologise to you all for my glaring mistake. In the coming weeks we will have the grand launch of a program that will keep our loyal guests returning to Carnival for another brilliantly fun and affordable cruise vacation.

Archived