price of DCL, CCL, and RCL - same date and category

Fantasy is a brand new ship which is appealing to me, but having sailed Disney Magic this past weekend there is no way I'd pay thousands more to sail Disney. Yes, the food was indeed outstanding but that's where the outstanding-ness ended for me. Cabin was nice but nothing fabulous, and the decor was nice, but not worth thousands more to me. Now for families and kids who love Disney characters it may be worth it.

I'm glad I tried it to see for myself, but I will be choosing other lines first.

You can read my review on the Disney message board if you'd like.

Careful, this statement is misleading. The two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a queen size bed are right next to the sofa/sleeper, with only a curtain to divide them. If I were trying to picture the way you stated it in my mind, without seeing it in person, I'd picture it far differently.

An oceanview on Disney is comparable to a very small standard hotel room....only more narrow.

Of course, everyone has different perspectives and opinions, but this is a pic of our room. I definitely consider this two distinct areas. There was enough room to put the Pack-n-Play between our bed and the curtain. As opposed to on CCL where we had bunks out of the wall over OUR bed, this set-up wins hands down.

Of course, I'm one of those ones who did DCL and will never do it again. Just didn't think it was worth it at all. It was nice. The food and shows were great, just not twice as much great.

4170_1127665001420_8270078_n.jpg

Frankly to each his own. I would say don't go by others opinion. I have done two DCL cruises with my kids, taking my parents on carnival next month and doing Alaska next year again with my family.

I would have say , while DCl costs are high compared to carnival so far I havn't found a lot of difference between a comparable ship in RCL with DCL. By that I mean one with the dreamworlds experience .

Also, the DCL experience was the one that got me hooked onto cruising. So in a way the other lines owe it to DCL :)

My first cruise was on celebrity and that got me hooked and then I later cruise on Disney Cruise lines.

So I guess Disney owes one to celebrity.:p

It's funny I've taken 25 cruises and the first was on celebrity and I've never going on them again although I had a great time.

Bill

Okay so

Disney-That fantasy everyone should do once.

The kids are of the age to really appreciate Disney.

No soda cards times 4-6 is say $40 each.

DH and I spent $300 for Bon Voyage Liquor this month.

Drink mixers - carry on $6

Drinks we'll buy on board from Carnival $300??

If you drink that's pretty substantial.

Let's say you'd save $500 on beverages.

But probably wouldn't drink that much with 4 kids either :eek:

RCCL-What amenities are on FOS?

They have lots of great kids stuff!

They have some wow to them, also.

We really enjoyed our RCCL cruise!

Carnival - The Dream is a new ship!

It has lots of bells and whistles :cool:

Carnival has plenty of kid oriented stuff on the Dream.

All three sound good to me :D

I guess that is the question, we like Disney (kids have been 3 times though were tiny the first time), we like cruising (only been on 1), but do we need a Disney Cruise. I'll probably have 2 teens by then, so not sure if the Disney cruise is necessary. Other options are to try RCL or NCL for some of their different activities. Are the rock climbing, flow rider etc options included in cruise prices. My almost 10 year old is very cautious, can't swim but likes pools, wouldn't try the water slide that landed in the 6" water, is afraid of heights - but was saying he wanted to try the flow rider in Grand Turk. DD (12) is up for trying anything and everything.

With Teens, I am not sure you will get the full benefit of Disney. Yes, I guess RCL has more for Teens.

We did a short DCL cruise in January with DS, his wife and grandson who is 4. The Dream is beautiful but we felt the prices were a bit high. When we booked balconies were cheaper than OV or Insides:confused:. We paid $1150 for both of us. We were on deck 8 right next to the family. Rooms are really nice, food was okay, but the dining room was always loud with kids screaming and carrying on. Entertainment was fantastic between the Pirate Night and Golden Disneys. Their private island is also fantastic. Glad we did it, but not sure we would spend the money again for 3 days.

We did a short DCL cruise in January with DS, his wife and grandson who is 4. The Dream is beautiful but we felt the prices were a bit high. When we booked balconies were cheaper than OV or Insides:confused:. We paid $1150 for both of us. We were on deck 8 right next to the family. Rooms are really nice, food was okay, but the dining room was always loud with kids screaming and carrying on. Entertainment was fantastic between the Pirate Night and Golden Disneys. Their private island is also fantastic. Glad we did it, but not sure we would spend the money again for 3 days.

Screaming kids appeal to me. My DD is always quiet when other kids are throwing tantrums. She sits and watches in amazement. When the other kids are good, DD is inevitably BAD.

LOL.

Yes, On fantasy and Dream Insides are costlier than balcony because of the Virtual ocean view that they have, they stream the ocean view angle to a virtual window and have disney characters appear on and off in that streaming.

I just went to the DCL, RCCL, and CCL websites to check and see if the travelocity prices were accurate and as low as they could go. Prices are for 3 people to a cabin and do not include port charges or taxes.

CCL was $1,417 per cabin

RCL was $1,887 per cabin

DCL was $3.108 per cabin

So RCL was $470 more per cabin not $20 more. Not sure why travelocity showed them closer.... Maybe Travelocity gets a bigger kickback from RCL.

Of course DCL was almost $1,600 more PER CABIN. I guess you do save on the soda card and not having to buy booze from Bon Voyage tho... :D

Bob

This past weekend, my SIL, who has never been on a cruise but would like to take one now that her children are old enough in her and her husband's opinion, was asking me about how much did I think it would cost her family (2 parents, 4 kids) to take a Disney cruise. I gave her my best guess based on two oceanview rooms (which turned out to be accurate), and she was pleasantly surprised that the cost was not much different than what they spend on a land-based vacation. I went further to explain that RCL or CCL would be even cheaper. She is only interested in DCL, but because I became curious as to how much cheaper RCL and CCL would be, I did a simple comparison search on travelocity using the following criteria. I thought I would share.

Date: September 14, 2013

Length: 7 days

Port of Departure: Port Canaveral

Itinerary: Western Caribbean

Category: oceanview (deck 2 on DLC and RCL and deck 1 on Carnival)

Number or rooms: 2

Here's the total

Carnival: $4110.18 (not ES)

Royal Car: $4150.00

Disney: $6,586.12

Actually, the RCCL FOS is a 9/15/13 departure not a 9/14/13 departure.

You also won't need two rooms on Disney. We did the gty DCL for four in a room and our room was huge. It's of the same design of CCL's new family oceanviews. It has two distinct sections of living and bedroom. It easily sleeps four, and no one is over the parents' bed.

But they have 6 travelers.

If money is not an issue then there is no question that for a family with young children Disney is the best choice.

That is because PC cant handle 3 ships i consider cruises the same weekend as identical

That is not true. Quite often during the winter season there were 3 ships docked at the same time. Usually a RCCL, Carnival and Disney.

Gregg

That is not true. Quite often during the winter season there were 3 ships docked at the same time. Usually a RCCL, Carnival and Disney.

Gregg

True. There were several there in Feb. the Norwegian Sun, the Carnival Dream and the Carnival Ecstasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't really compare Disney to Canival - totally different as far as quality and service - if you can get a discounted rate, hands down, my choice would be Disney.

More stuff for younger kids on Disney and older kids on Royal Caribbean - Carnival compared to either, lacks in this regard.

Archived