Tracy Arm Fjord Explorer

Countrygirl44

Had not planned to go to Alaska this year, however the rates for the July 29 sailing on the Star are great. Airfare, well that is a different story...but with the great cruise rates, it will be dooable. Will decide for sure in the next couple of days.

All of our other cruises (all on Princess) to Alaska went to Glacier Bay. Never been to Tracy Arms, but have wanted too.

If I were going in late May or early June, then I think it would be necessary to take the Explorer excursion into Tracy Arm. However, with the cruise being late July, I am wondering how far the ship will be able to go. Will it be worth the additional $400.00 to take the Explorer excursion.

We do have a balcony cabin and have always enjoyed Glacier Bay from our own balcony.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions from others that have taken this excursion.

I have done Tracy Arm twice on the ship and next week will try the explorer tour. Ours will not board the cruise ship in the fjord, but instead runs RT from Juneau. The difference between being 10 decks above the water vs being right on the water. I will let you know after next week.

Is this close enough to the face for you?

5858293060_a9e6db6a31_z.jpg

More pictures here:

BTW it is impossible to for the ship to get anywhere near this close, there is simply not enough room.

The Tracy Arm add on excursion is grossly superior to the ship transit. My opinion, is, it is "necessary". For me, I want to see the most and make the best use of my time. I don't compromise here. I put together a small photo sample, of what I saw on a single trip. This has been repeated several other times with similar views. (I've spent a lot of money on Tracy Arm :) )

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Plenty of people are just as happy with the ship transit, but, the best views are forward, not missing 50% with a side balcony.

Archived