FLL to POM with children. Carseat question.

Barnes11

We are flying into FLL, and sailing from Port of Miami with our two small children ages 2 and 4. I am finding info on shuttle services in general, but does anyone know if children are required to be in carseats on shuttles in florida? I believe they can't ride in cabs, and can ride in buses. Very confused as to our options on getting to POM safely and legally.

Essentially if it's a vehicle with seat belts, the car seats are required; if it is a bus or one of the short distance shuttle vans used by some hotels and car rental agencies that does not have seat belts, they get a pass. I agree, it is confusing and nonsensical. :confused:

Your best bet is to verify things with whichever shuttle company you use, and bring your own car seats - you will need them to keep your little ones safe when you taxi or whatever on excursions during port visits. Good luck! :)

The two year old is required to wear be in a car seat. The 4 year old does not have to be in car seat but does need to wear a seat belt. He might need to be in a booster for safety, that depends on his/her height.

Shuttles are NOT exempt from the law. School buses, public transportation buses, and buses which carry 24+ passengers are exempt from the law. The logic behind that is that these vehicles are rarely in fatal accidents compared to other vehicles.

Some shuttle companies will provide a car seat for you.

Car seats do NOT count against your checked bag allowance on most airlines check your carrier's website for more details.

Thank you for the info. Do you know which shuttles have carseats? I don't really want to have the hassle of storing carseats in our cruise cabin.

While yes it is a hassle, PLEASE bring your own car seats. I have personally seen people promised seats that are broken, expired, recalled (and they didn't know it), or the agency has run out. I was promised seats (one car seat and a booster) by a shuttle company in Orlando that never showed up. Plus you are responsible for installing the seat, which likely won't have a manual, and likely is not the one you have at home. At least you know your seats are safe, clean and you know how to install them.

Our boys were to and four years old when we first started travelling internationally with them, and we have always found a way to store their car and booster seats. The car sea fits nicely on the bottom of a NCL balcony or mini suite cabin closet, I have stored them in a restaurant in Mexico, left them in a vehicle in Roatan, and schlepped them through so many airports I don't care to remember. Bottom line, I trust my car seats installed correctly over dealing with a foreign health care system and our insurance any day ;)

Archived