Viewing the Olympics on Golden Princess August 4

bobalink

Our family will be on the Golden Princess to Alaska the week of August 4, during the Olympics.

As much as our family is looking forward to our cruise, we really enjoy watching gymnastics and soccer during the Olympics.

Do you think we will be able to watch any of the televised coverage while on the ship?

If so, where do you think it will be shown (venue)?

The Princess representative (via telephone) did not have an answer.

Well in as much as there is about a 9 hour time difference, you'd have to stay up all night to watch anything live. I suspect that there might be one channel showing it but you don't get all the channels on the ship that you do at home so it will be limited viewing.

It's going to depend on what package the satellite provider purchased, Princess may not even know until right before. I think the net difference earlier is 8 hours, so anything in London at prime time will be in the noon-2 pm range, which makes me think if available they will show it on MUTS if the sun is not too bright and on maybe one in-room channel. Event selection will be VERY limited.

Four years ago we were cruising for 75 days during the games and we did not have one showing of the games as it was too expensive for the ship to pay for as they explained they would have to pay the copyright for every body on board whether they watched or not We just got the medal tallies each day in the patter So to NOT EXPECT to see the games They may have changed their mind but with money tight everywhere I doubt it

Bobbie

We just installed a second DVR so we will be able to record most of it. Ironically we will be home for the opening and closing ceremonies (and the marathon of course which is the last event ).

Jan

Most if the finals etc are in the evening session so will be later in the day.

BBC are showing every round of every sport in BBC 1 and 3. I would therefore have thought there would be some on BBC world if the ships broadcast this.

Archived