American Gates @ JFK

gxchan

I'm looking at flights from San Juan to SF and found one that goes through JFK. The connection time between flights at JFK is only 35 minutes which would be do-able if the American gates at JFK are relatively close. Anyone have experience with the American terminal at JFK? Is it possible to make a 35 minute connection?

Thanks!

I'm looking at flights from San Juan to SF and found one that goes through JFK. The connection time between flights at JFK is only 35 minutes which would be do-able if the American gates at JFK are relatively close. Anyone have experience with the American terminal at JFK? Is it possible to make a 35 minute connection?

Thanks!

It would be tight but very doable. All AA gates are in the relatively new Terminal 8. I fly into JFK about once a month and would feel comfortable making that connection.

Of course, if the flight from SJU is late, all bets are off. But I don't think this is a particularly risky connection BECAUSE there are quite a few AA flights to SFO out of JFK (5 nonstops daily) and a couple of connecting flights through LAX. Alaska Airline ( an AA partner) has 2 nonstops in the evening and if that doesn't work, AA will be glad to put you in a town car to LGA where there are many, many one stoppers in DFW, ORD or LAX which will get you home the same day.

MAKE SURE you have a list of flights that you are willing to take BEFORE you have to negotiate anything. If you miss your flight, pick your favorite off your list and ask for that first. Keep going down the list until you get something you want. Just waiting for them to rebook on their choice is very often an exercise in futility.

AND if you know you are going to miss your flight, start calling AA BEFORE you even get off the plane. Have the number programmed into your phone. DO NOT wait to stand in line with all the other displaced passengers. Those at the front of the line may get the very seat you need.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for your replies. If I were traveling in summer I would have taken the chance but since I'll be flying in December I could be delayed by storms in/around NYC or, of course, just getting out of SJU.

Greatam - great travel tips, thanks!

Ginnie

Archived