straw market- straw products?

CMM

This might sound like a stupid question but from some photos of the straw markets in Nassau and Freeport it looks like there are some items made from straw like hats and bags.

Are these a local product?

I read not anything is locally made, but thinking this might be. I would like to buys some items that weren't from China, but have no interest in an imported straw bag.

How much do straw gifts run?

Thanks!

can't comment on the price of straw items. They just built a "new" straw market (since summer 2010), supposedly they did away with knock offs. There use to be people with booths making their things right there. Carvings come to mind. We bought "rock" jewelry. I found a nice necklace and asked if they could make a matching bracelet, and they did.

The straw bags, hats, fans, etc. are usually made on the island. The items made in China are the knock-off name brand purses (Gucci, Prada, etc. -- which you can no longer get at the straw market), as well as glass trinkets. There are folks that make jewelry right there. There is also a section solely for wood carvings, and yes, they are doing it right on site.

If you ask you can still get the knock offs. Not at the straw market but at some of the smaller shop in the back alleys or side streets. The wife asked on our March visit and within 5 minutes there was a young girl that took us to one of the knock off stores. Wife did not buy as the quality was not that great but they are there if you want them. Prices are $30-100 depending.

i'm glad you asked this. I do NOT want to buy anything that can be found anywhere in the Caribbean. It means a lot to me to buy locally made items. Buying something from someone actually making the items in front of you is a big bonus. Glad to see that some of that can still be found in the Straw Market.

It's our first visit to Nassau so this is wonderful news.

Archived