Navigator trip Report June 10th-17th East Med!

This evening was the second formal night. Mom hates to pose in photos and I wasn't happy with my dress so unfortunately we don't have any fancy photos to prove Mom was actually wearing a dress. A shame really, since it might actually be the only one she owns. I, on the other hand, have more skirts than trousers. Hmmm. Maybe I'm adopted.

We were a bit early.

IMG_6810.JPG

So off to the pub instead. I know what you are thinking. BUT we didn't have a drink. I wanted to see some Euro 2012 football but there wasn't a game on yet. I'm a sports nut (to the extent that I married a sports journalist) and Mom asked me can football players rest while they are playing. OK, adoption it is.

IMG_6904.JPG

Heading back to dinner about 5.45pm. Mom thought it was weird that people would eat after eight in the evening. Considering we went to bed every night at 10.30pm, maybe she was right.

IMG_6903.JPG

This evening Mom wanted to try ice skating. It's been awhile since she's done it (maybe 15 years) but it was too appealing to let it pass by. Just about everyone in Finland can skate. We are so far up north that there are natural ice fields (lakes, rivers and sea shore) everywhere in the winter. Mom did OK for a few minutes and was happy that she tried.

IMG_6939.JPG

Do be warned though: we saw an elderly lady struggling to keep up straight and in the end she couldn't slow down or steer, crashed into a young Swedish guy (he was showing his NHL moves and was moving very fast) and twisted her ankle so badly that she was taken out by medical team on a wheelchair. So do be careful if you are not used to skating.

Today we got a turtle -or so we thought. When I asked about it, Wendy laughed and told me: "It iz of de dinosaur familee." Oops. Well, biology was never my thing. I was a math and languages geek. And history. And literature...well yeah, anything but biology. :o

IMG_6937.JPG

Great report and beautiful photos! What make of camera do you have?

Hello! Thank you for the positive comments. I have a Canon 1100d. It's nothing fancy but it is an excellent camera for a rookie amateur photog like me :)

Our last day was full of things so we didn't even have time to brood over the sad end.

We shared the first place with another team in an Abba trivia! Wohoo. We celebrated by going to Johnny Rockets which my Mom (finally) liked. Our orders got mixed up and we received three burgers. We took the last one with us in a foil bag and I gave it to Wendy as she was in our cabin when we came down.

IMG_6970.JPG

Even my dragon of a mother produced a smile when everyone said "Bye bye" when we left Johnny Rockets!

We went to see the towel folding demonstration and the ice carving which followed straight after. Both were fun as they were new to us both.

IMG_6943.JPG

Some Italian children were constantly taking pieces of ice during the carving and they had to be told off several times. They also stood in everyone's way and blocked all views of the statue. That pretty much sums up my experience of the Italians on this cruise. I didn't even notice the adults but the kids... lets just say I will never be a mother and leave it at that.

IMG_6947.JPG

I wanted to play some minigolf and we went up to the dunes. Mom complained it was too hot to play. She was wearing black (as always) and I was wearing everything else but black (as always). Seriously, if I didn't look exactly like Mom 30 years ago, I'd be chasing the adoption agency already. We ended up watching the scenery which was both Sicilian and superb.

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

I took quite a few photos of the ship on the last day. Mom wanted to see the climbing wall and sports court and we found these statues very endearing.

IMG_6960.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

We also went to the wedding chapel on deck 15.

IMG_6956.JPG

I like the bagpipe guy. I'm not really sure I like the sound of the blood-curdling howling they call piping so this is a statue after my own heart. Give me a man in a kilt anyday.

IMG_6957.JPG

"Excuse me Sir? Sir! Might I hitch a ride?"

IMG_6955.JPG

Next -the last day. Yes!! Day 8!!

Edited by Sinppu

I'm so sorry, but I don't :( Undskyld!

I forgot them in the cabin as we left. Please don't unsubscribe ;)

Tak for dit svar ;) [Thanks for your answer :)]

I will collect and post the Cruise Compasses once we're back from our cruise :) We're really enjoying your photos and looking forward to going!

We took advantage of the great new option called the Late Departure programme. It allows you to stay on board up to 90 minutes before the ships sails. It cost $35 per person and the last time to leave was 3.30pm.

I SO recommend this if you have a late flight or you are staying in Italy post-cruise. You can use the spa, fitness center, solarium, selected bars and the Windjammer. Wendy told us that if we wanted to stay in our cabin a bit longer than the stated 9.00, it would be OK by her. We left at ten past.

I like the barrier. It says Civitavecchia Harbour -the Heart of Italy. I also like the ship -it's "mine". ;)

IMG_6717.JPG

We went for breakfast and then to the Solarium.

The pool area was opened for the first new passengers.

IMG_6724.JPG

I went to the ShipShape center and had it completely to myself. We ate lunch in WJ (I got Honey stung chicken twice and Mom got Waldorf salad twice -yay! :)) and left around two.

We took the shuttle bus to the castle and walked to the station. It took us 15 minutes and we stopped three times to give Mom a breather.

We exchanged trains in Rome Trastevere and were at Fiumicino almost two and a half hours before our flight. We had time to spare but I like to play safe when travelling with Mom. She's not the adventurous type, like me. OK, bring forth the adoption papers now... ;)

We had a great time. Med cruises are hence strongly recommended!

Some detailed pointers next and the bluest water I've ever seen.

IMG_6968.JPG

Edited by Sinppu

Staff

Big applause to all the staff for learning quite a bit of Italian phrases. They came in very handy for many.

Only the security staff looked grim. Maybe they are supposed to be sinister but only one of them smiled at us the whole week while we entered the ship. Scary people. Boo.:cool:

Shows

We went to see the Zoots, Ice Show and Ballroom fever. The first was the best. I sang along to all the song (logically, as I'm born in the 80s) and Mom was thrilled to see the choreographies the guys pulled. This was a good show and we enjoyed it very much.

The second was also enjoyable (but then again we are figure skating fans). The changing of the clothes part was brilliant. (We're fans of that too ;))

The third we could have done without. I think Warren and Eileen were great singers but somehow the show lacked excitement and I got bored towards the end.

Simona's 10 silliest questions is a BORE. I did wonder whether they are the ones people laugh at the most or why don't they ever change?

Food

I'm not picky at all, Mom complained about everything. So fifty-fifty score here. And some proofs of adoption, please. ;)

Internet

I intended to do a live report. Live was left out because of the cost and efficiency of the internet connection. It worked well in the Solarium (add sarcasm to your mental voice while reading the word "well").

Other passengers

I'll just tell you who I saw and how many. Loads of North Americans. Plenty of British. Lots of Italians. Some Irish, Spanish, Russian and German/Austrian. A few Scandinavians. Many families and senior citizens. I was never bothered by anything nationality-wise but I do have the patience of a very patient saint. I have to, I work in customer service ;)

Thank you so very much to everyone who has contributed to my first cruise report! And nevermind you who haven't, I'll write the next one anyway. Hee hee.

Edited by Sinppu

Oh dear, where does RCI get (read recruit) that security staff!? We hoped the Rambo wannabe rent a cops were something Liberty OTS only…Great, Navigator has them too!?

Indeed they do. Both the men and women looked like they were on the verge of declaring a global catastrophe. Yikes.

This was one of the most interesting and concise reports I've read and I've read a lot of them. I was on this cruise 6/3, and I loved reading this. Thank you very much for the info and the laughs.

Thank You! You have excellent taste :)

Indeed they do. Both the men and women looked like they were on the verge of declaring a global catastrophe. Yikes.

I hear ya, maybe it’s there plan, think of it….Imagine them taking over, or high jacking every cruise ship there is……Now THAT’S a yike! :D looool

No seriously, I filled an official complaint after our first cruise on LOS…The way they treated the passengers was just too rough, shouting, unfriendly, acting like we were all teenagers getting in or out a ship, never ever smiling or helpful…I know they have a job to do, but there is always a better way, especially on cruise ships, were everybody is on vacation, near everybody is 21+ and paid a whole lot to be on that ship that deserves better treatment imo.

Second cruise it was OK,

Now again on our third one, it was the first one all over again with the guys in blue…The way I got shouted back to the line for my shoes making the metal detector go off was just waaaaaaaaaay overdoing it…People in the line were all saying go up and complain about this, I could only say “been there, done that”…

EDIT: the shoes were flip flops by the way…What was I going to hide it that!?

Okay, so time to have some fun than on LOS in September I guess ;)

Edited by Verfai

Sinny, this was the most ingenious cruise review I ever read. Great pics also!

Let me know if you're going to publish a 400+ pages novel out of it, I'd buy it without hesitation...

[quote name='beolink']Sinny, this was the most ingenious cruise review I ever read. Great pics also!

Let me know if you're going to publish a 400+ pages novel out of it, I'd buy it without hesitation...[/QUOTE]

Owww.. thank you. This was the nicest compliment I've had. If I weren't married, I'd propose to you. ;) Edited by Sinppu

[quote name='Just The 3 Of Us']Totally enjoyed your review and pictures - you have a wonderful sense of humor. Thanks so much for sharing![/QUOTE]

You're welcome and thank you'd. Actually I might propose to you too, I have lots of love to share :D Edited by Sinppu

Thanks for such a detailed and honest review and the pics are great! We join the Navigator on Sunday 1 July and can't wait. We were on the Adventure in February this year and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Can you tell me which are the formal nights, as I need to decide whch dresses to take. The earlier in the week the smaller the dress, later on it will need to be more forgiving or a size bigger!

[quote name='kimberley']Great review[/QUOTE]

That's not DRUNK Kimberley, is it :D? Hope you are well?

I'm also enjoying this review, thanks Sinny. We're back on Navigator this August (did this itinerary last October, too). Thought I'd read your review to see if anything had changed since last year. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Edited by villauk

[quote name='parpot']
Can you tell me which are the formal nights, as I need to decide whch dresses to take. The earlier in the week the smaller the dress, later on it will need to be more forgiving or a size bigger![/QUOTE]

The formal nights were the second night from Messina and the sixth night from Crete. I think. I don't have any photos or cruise compasses to prove it... sorry. :o

[quote name='Coolcruise02']Great review and pictures![/QUOTE]

Thanks to you and everyone else who had positive comments. Obviously people here have great taste and/pr they are very polite (first post ;))

Awesome review Sinny. By far my favourite ever. You kept it short,informative, to the point, added humour and included some knockout pictures. I am also in fashion retail and think you are wasted in that job!! ;)

[quote name='CRUMB']Awesome review Sinny. By far my favourite ever. You kept it short,informative, to the point, added humour and included some knockout pictures. I am also in fashion retail and think you are wasted in that job!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh dear... another comment worthy of a marriage proposal :D
My husband read the report today and agreed with you -he said I should be a professional blogger someday :o:)

I'll be back with a report in October, I hope you'll all join me then as well!