Navigator trip Report June 10th-17th East Med!

Thank you Sinny for the amazing reviews and pictures~ absolutely beautiful. You looked like you had a great time and although travelling with the 'rents can be challenging at times, it is very rewarding spending the time together!

I loved seeing some pictures of the Navigator, as there is not as much as I would like on here! Do you have any advice for fellow inside cabin occupants?

Thanks so much!

[quote name='jewels89']Thank you Sinny for the amazing reviews and pictures~ absolutely beautiful. You looked like you had a great time and although travelling with the 'rents can be challenging at times, it is very rewarding spending the time together!

I loved seeing some pictures of the Navigator, as there is not as much as I would like on here! Do you have any advice for fellow inside cabin occupants?

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

Hi Nadia,
I'm so glad you liked it :)
If you are not travelling with romantic partner (and want to sleep as close as possible) the cabin has a much more spacious feel to it when the beds are apart. Your stateroom attendant will move them for you if they are together.
In my opinion inside cabins are just fine, it's the ship and the cruise that matter!

[quote name='Sinppu']Hi Nadia,
I'm so glad you liked it :)
If you are not travelling with romantic partner (and want to sleep as close as possible) the cabin has a much more spacious feel to it when the beds are apart. Your stateroom attendant will move them for you if they are together.
In my opinion inside cabins are just fine, it's the ship and the cruise that matter![/QUOTE]

I am travelling with my mom! So although I am a cuddler not sure she is :)

Thanks for your input!

Just had to read this one as well. Your mum sounds a lot like mine. I spent a week with my mum in Crete last summer and needed a holiday afterwards. ;)

Oh I know :rolleyes:

She complained about EVERYTHING the whole week but asked me on the last day "When can we cruise again?" :D

• 6 months later...

Sinppu, I know this review is from 2012 but still I need to pay you late compliment. DH and I are doing the same Navigator cruise in Oct 2013 and your review has assured me that it will be just perfect! I enjoyed your report a lot and have shown all the pictures to my non-English speaking husband, calming him down. If your Mom could enjoy, I am sure my husband will too, regardless of the language barrier!

I hope you'll write another report from the cruise you are currently on! Looking forward to that.

And greetings from fellow Finn!:)

Miryam

You wrote such a nice trip report. I took the Navigator from New Orleans-Rome this past April and loved it. The crew was nice and I loved the cruise director had so much planned.

As for your Mother being ignored because English is not her first language should not be a problem. People cruise because they want to meet people from other cultures. If they want a table for two then they would request it. I'm sure your Mother can learn some English and others can learn some Finnish. It's fun learning a few words here and there.

I try to speak the local language and I feel that if you have the basics down people will try to help you. I also take a phrasebook with me and try to pronounce the word or at least point to the sentence that corresponds to my request. Its all about non-verbal communication. If I need a drink I make the motions or point out water in my phrasebook. People get the idea.

Its how you come across with other people. You can be a rude American who should stay home or a culturally literate person like me who tries to communicate with locals. If there is a country where I do not want to visit because of issues like where you can't drink the water then fine that is a decision that I will make. When you go to a new country you go with the intentions of learning about the local culture and tasting the local food.

I feel bad for people on a cruise who are able to get off the boat won't go into town to sample the local food. For instance in Toulon France I got off the ship and had a good baguette and practiced my French. In Livorno I found a local pizza place that offered a discount to crew and passengers of Royal Caribbean and had a great pizza and carafe of wine.

You need to find the small places located on small plazas by churches. Whenever I'm not sure where to go I just follow the locals. If it siesta time in Spain I'm resting in a park in the shade.

You don't have to doubt yourself and think like your home because your not. If you see a Starbucks or a Mc Donalds skip it and find a good market and assemble a picnic or go to a good restaurant where you hear locals speaking the language and you see lots of people sitting outside.

Want to sample the local beer or wine then go to a market and pick up a good bottle of local wine or beer. You will save yourself lots of money.

We had a great picnic in the Azores( Ponto Degaldo) overlooking the port and saw a sister Royal ship pull in for a medical emergency but it was nice eating the local cheeses sampling the local wine and sardines. We had some great local cookies as well. Its memories like these that keeps me cruising.

My next cruise will be from Santos Brazil to Barcelona in April. I love going off season as you can really enjoy meeting locals and there are not as many tourist around and the weather is good.

I appreciate your kind words about my review.

I didn't suggest people would ignore my mom because she doesn't speak English. I suggested WE would ignore other people and speak Finnish or I would ignore my Mom and speak English. Learning a language in a week wasn't an option either.

She isn't the most patient or polite of persons so I deemed it handiest to be alone with her. Worked out just fine. :)

You wrote such a nice trip report. I took the Navigator from New Orleans-Rome this past April and loved it. The crew was nice and I loved the cruise director had so much planned.

As for your Mother being ignored because English is not her first language should not be a problem. People cruise because they want to meet people from other cultures. If they want a table for two then they would request it. I'm sure your Mother can learn some English and others can learn some Finnish. It's fun learning a few words here and there.

Edited by Sinppu

My husband does understand spoken English but refuses to speak it as he feels he must not because he is not fluent. I on the other hand deal with people from China, India, Brazil and Taiwan daily due to my work. All of us have a different accent, so sometimes it is more difffucult than easy. I share the view that generally people WANT to interact and understand each other, regardless of their origin. If you have a positive and friendly attitude, you get the same attitude back.

Having saidthat, I know we'll be spending much time just the two of us, because I do not want to ignore my husband by speaking just English with the fellow cruisers, or be unpolite towards others and just speak Finnish when in a group. Terefore keeping our group limited to just us two seems to be the best option, just like Sinppu with her Dear Dragon Mother (who seems to be wonderful woman, to my eyes!)

Miryam

Sinppu with her Dear Dragon Mother (who seems to be wonderful woman, to my eyes!)

Miryam

Try cruising with her, that'll change your mind :D:p

Just kidding. We are planning a family cruise in October 2014, again in the Mediterranean. Can't wait!!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...