Price drops and being passed on

We have just booked another cruise, and our new Aussie TA has promised us if there is any price drops that she will pass them on, so long as the sale conditions cover existing bookings.

This is the first time I have had a Aussie agent offer this service with a cruise booking.

So does that mean if the cruise lines have price drops, they can apply to cruise line and reduce the fare, but potentially not pass these savings onto passengers. Am I correct, or do agents not bother seeking these savings to benefit their clients?

The price on our cruise dropped and our TA has gone AWOL. No joy there.

Unfortunately sale prices are mostly for new bookings only so I think your TA is pretty safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The price on our cruise dropped and our TA has gone AWOL. No joy there.

Unfortunately sale prices are mostly for new bookings only so I think your TA is pretty safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our TA in NZ has just got us the reductions by cancelling and rebooking, Same cabin, same OBC and at no cost to us!!! That's with the new travel company in NZ

We have just booked another cruise, and our new Aussie TA has promised us if there is any price drops that she will pass them on, so long as the sale conditions cover existing bookings.

This is the first time I have had a Aussie agent offer this service with a cruise booking.

So does that mean if the cruise lines have price drops, they can apply to cruise line and reduce the fare, but potentially not pass these savings onto passengers. Am I correct, or do agents not bother seeking these savings to benefit their clients?

My TA has just rebooked us to take advantage of the price drop on our next cruise. She told me that it could be done within 180 days without losing any of the benefits of our future cruise letter which we used in the initial booking (giving reduced deposit and onboard credit). After the 180 if there was a substanitial price reduction then she would rebook us but we would need to use another future cruise letter to get those same benefits.

When reading the US Princess site one gets the impression that Princess automatically passes on the price reductions but I think the travel agents have to be active in getting these reductions applied to the bookings.

cheers

Stu

If your TA is a good one they will get Princess to pass on the price reductions. You will have to keep an eye on the Princess prices through their website though. The TA can't be expected to watch all their bookings. Our TA just got us a$1000 reduction in our cruise next year. Just make sure that the TA ensures that the FCC letter (if you use one) is noted in the booking when they deal with Princess. The Princess rep didn't override ours and there was all sorts of trouble as our booking was cancelled by the computer as not having enough deposit paid.

Some TA's in Australia are still not passing on the savings and if they are, they are charging a fee..... make sure you ask about this when you do the initial booking. If they don't honour price reductions or charge a fee for doing so - find one that will.

Just make sure that the TA ensures that the FCC letter (if you use one) is noted in the booking when they deal with Princess. The Princess rep didn't override ours and there was all sorts of trouble as our booking was cancelled by the computer as not having enough deposit paid.

This is exactly what happened to me last week. Luckily all is sorted and we now have another $900 to spend!

cheers

Stu

Two weeks ago we made a booking for a December sailing on the Sea Princess. In less than a week’s time, there were a price drop and also an OBC increase. We rang our Aussie TA, one that we’ve used since 2002 and asked if we could re-book to take advantage of the price drop or pay for an upgrade. We were told that the reduction in price and new OBC applied to new bookings only. If we were to re-book, per Princess the FCC could not be used for the same sailing and the TA would charge $150 pp i.e. for any cancellation or amendment!

Last year, we used an US online agent and booked a Mediterranean cruise (not Princess’) with one Egypt port. Then the price dropped significantly because of the unrest in Egypt and the port was cancelled. Some people booked directly with the cruise line managed to get $50-$100 off from their final payment but we were only offered a so call upgrade to a cabin, not as nicely located, a couple of decks higher.

:mad:

We have just had a second price drop with our TA, for Princess. We used FC letters and first time she had to cancel and rebook (no charge and no loss of anything for us). Second time we changed from deluxe OV to balcony and saved a further $300 dollars or so. No charge to us at all. :) We have an Aussie TA, not an American TA, by the way.

I agree, this thread will be deleted, but a good TA will look after you. We have had a similar situation with our Princess cruise and our TA has gone out of his way to help us. We have had at least 4 price reductions since we booked!:D

That is so nice to hear, lucky you. No luck for us though...ever...may have to search the central coast a bit harder:)

I do think though, with all these new ships coming downunder in the next few years, price drops/competition may become more common. I live in hope:D

That is so nice to hear, lucky you. No luck for us though...ever...may have to search the central coast a bit harder:)

I do think though, with all these new ships coming downunder in the next few years, price drops/competition may become more common. I live in hope:D

hi Jen, we were lucky to get a price drop on our cruise around OZ....make sure you buy some FCC's and they can cancel out and rebook as long as you havent made final payment.....if you are outside the 181 days just cancel out and rebook as long as the TA doesnt charge a small fee

hi Jen, we were lucky to get a price drop on our cruise around OZ....make sure you buy some FCC's and they can cancel out and rebook as long as you havent made final payment.....if you are outside the 181 days just cancel out and rebook as long as the TA doesnt charge a small fee

Hi Bob....yes well aware of that thanks. This time round is very different for us, as we have chosen a 'physical' TA rather than online, for the first time. They do charge fees:( but I just couldn't organise this trip myself this time. We are flying to Miami, doing a western caribbean cruise, fly back to Las Vegas for few days, then fly to LA, then hop on 2nd cruise LA to Vancouver, few days there, then hop on 3rd cruise Vanc to Whittier...then back to LA, then home sweet home. About 6 weeks. We have already fully paid for most. Took advantage of the high dollar ($1.07 at the time).

I had wondered if cruises are fully paid for, and still within that 181 day period..if we could still take advantage of price drops. Having said that, all three cruises have gone up in price, not down....so far.

Thinking of you freezing in Coota. I remember how cold it is there:D

Jen

Archived