Saint John - Fundy Trail or Whale watch?

I was pretty set on a whale watch in Saint John but St Martin's posts caught my interest. Looks like we will not be there during low tide so the caves may not work but Fundy Trail sounds like something to see. For those of you who have been there, would you recommend the trail or a whale watch (probably O'Briens). We do want to save part of the day to explore the area directly around the port so can't try to fit in both.

I was pretty set on a whale watch in Saint John but St Martin's posts caught my interest. Looks like we will not be there during low tide so the caves may not work but Fundy Trail sounds like something to see. For those of you who have been there, would you recommend the trail or a whale watch (probably O'Briens). We do want to save part of the day to explore the area directly around the port so can't try to fit in both.

Unfortunately O'Briens is a tour operator in St. John's Newfoundland. In order to whale watch from Saint John New Brunswick, a trip to St. Andrews is usually required.

Thank you so much. I feel like a fool since I made this mistake with other tours also. I am so glad that I asked though and glad that you set it straight before I went ahead and booked.

Thank you so much. I feel like a fool since I made this mistake with other tours also. I am so glad that I asked though and glad that you set it straight before I went ahead and booked.

No problem. There has been confusion over the two cities for a very long time. Visitors will also be reminded to spell the names correctly. If you ever get to St. John's Newfoundland, then O'Briens is a great tour operator. We used them a few years ago and were very pleased.

When will you be in Saint John? We're on the 10/14 Jewel sailing out of Boston. I had planned to rent a car for a day trip to St. Martins including driving the Fundy Trail. Unfortunately, the trail closes to vehicle traffic after Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (10/8 this year).

Andy

When will you be in Saint John? We're on the 10/14 Jewel sailing out of Boston. I had planned to rent a car for a day trip to St. Martins including driving the Fundy Trail. Unfortunately, the trail closes to vehicle traffic after Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (10/8 this year).

Andy

We are leaving this Monday and will be in Saint John on July 4th. I think we are just going to do the local tours in Saint John and rent a car in Halifax.

We are leaving this Monday and will be in Saint John on July 4th. I think we are just going to do the local tours in Saint John and rent a car in Halifax.

Have a great time. Re the whale watching, fom my experience, July 4 is early for the best whale watching in the Bay of Fundy. As maryAnn mentioned it is also a stretch to do that activity from Saint John since you have to go to St. Andrews. The best Whales to be observed in the Bay are the Northern Right Whales. My family has had the great opportunity to see these whales up close in the Bay but their migration patterns have them at their best later in July and into August.

I visit Saint John regularly since I have family there. I have come to appreciate the history of the city and its very strong contribution to the settlement and industry of New Brunswick. If you are interested in the history, the New Brunswick Museum is very close to the pier as is the burial ground at the top of King Street for the Loyalists that arrived after the American revolution in 1783. A majority were from New York and Rhode Island. Saint John has almost from the beginning had a strong connection to New England since most of its early inhabitants came from New England.

As you mentioned, you will be in the city at high tide so the Reversing Falls ( rapids ) will be much less dramatic than at low tide.

Enjoy your visit.

• 2 weeks later...
So to be clear for others reading this, whale watching is not a viable option on a one day stop to Saint John, New Brunswick.

Many of the lines are offering whale watching out of St. Andrews this season ! It IS a viable option (dependent on the length of stay for the ship)!

Many of the lines are offering whale watching out of St. Andrews this season ! It IS a viable option (dependent on the length of stay for the ship)!

Whale watching is definitely viable - going to St. Andrews does not take that long from Saint John. As long as you are in port for a good portion of time it can be done:)

St. Martin's is beautiful as well - I think it depends more upon what appeals to you more. The Fundy Trail is very nice - if you like nature you will enjoy it:) Whales are always enjoyable - remember though it's not always guaranteed that it will happen. There are some independent operators near St. Andrews (not quite as far) but I don't know how the times would co-ordinate with the ships.

Enjoy your visit to our city:):)

Archived