Helicopter with Glacier Landing - thoughts?

MarcieandTed

Our whole family of 4 really wants to do this! We have about $2K for our shore excursion budget for Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, in that order. If we keep the costs on the lower end for this, maybe we can do something fabulous in either Skagway (Fly Drake? $650) or Ketchikan (Misty Fjord? $400-1000) Or if we helicopter in Skagway, maybe we can do Tracy Arm ($750) in Juneau?

I've researched the four companies and come up with the following info.

Is 20 minutes on the Glacier enough time? Some tripadvisor reviews lamented the short walkabout time.

Would love to hear your thoughts and/or your feedback on any of these companies and tours.

Helitrek.com (operated by North Star Trekking) - through cruise line

Juneau Level 1 40 min ride + 1 hour on glacier - fully outfitted with clothing, boots, crampons $399 pp x 4 = $1596

Juneau Level 2 40 min ride + 2 hours on glacier - (same outfitting) $449 pp x 4 = $1796

Alaskahelicoptertours.com (Temsco) - through cruise line

Skagway Glacier Discovery 40 minute flight, 40 minutes on glacier (no mention of equipment provided) $349 pp x 4 = $1396

Juneau Mendenhall Glacier 30 minute flight, 20 minutes on glacier also $349 pp

Alaskahelicopterflightseeing.com - through cruise line

Juneau 30 minutes flight + 20 minutes on Glacier, glacier walking boots provided $349 pp = $1396

Eraflightseeing.com - pickup close to cruise ship dock

Juneau 35 minutes flight + 20 minutes on glacier, glacier boots provided $286 pp x 3 (1 person = $99 for 2:1 coupon book for 4th person, they only allow one coupon per flight) = $957

Coastalhelicopters.com - transport to/from dock included

Juneau 1 hour total flight + glacier, glacier boots provided $267 pp x 4 = $1028

Juneau 1.5 hours flight + glacier time, same equipment $424 pp x $1696

Thanks!

We did a helicopter/glacier sightseeing trip with Temesco. They were a short walk from our ships docking spot. After the intro video on safety we suited up with glacier boots to grip the ice with and then a vest to all to wear.

We had about 20 minutes in the helicopter to the glacier, 40 minutes on the ice to walk around with the guides and then about 20 minutes back by helicopter. Cost was 309.00 per person. Highlight of the cruise for us. We had done the White's Pass Railway two years prior so didn't want to do that again...

Hi Laurie - Thanks! Was that out of Skagway?

I was thinking of doing that one, but Skagway is our second stop after Juneau and if the weather is bad then we will miss any chance of doing the helicopter.

There are more things I'd like to do in Juneau (Tracy Arm cruise) than Skagway, but don't want to miss the helicopter since that's #1 on everyone's list.

Which cruise line were you on? Did you feel 40 min was a good amount of time on the glacier? Do you think 20 minutes would be too little, or okay? I really want to walk around and get great photos.

Hi Laurie - Thanks! Was that out of Skagway?

I was thinking of doing that one, but Skagway is our second stop after Juneau and if the weather is bad then we will miss any chance of doing the helicopter.

There are more things I'd like to do in Juneau (Tracy Arm cruise) than Skagway, but don't want to miss the helicopter since that's #1 on everyone's list.

Which cruise line were you on? Did you feel 40 min was a good amount of time on the glacier? Do you think 20 minutes would be too little, or okay? I really want to walk around and get great photos.

We were on the Disney Wonder. Booked our own excursion though. We had 12 hours in Skagway. Our trip was at 10 AM. We had fantastic weather our entire week trip - amazing, hot weather.

Time on glacier I would have liked to stay longer. We did walk around as a group but there were plenty of photo opportunities and the guides even offered to take photos of us if we wanted them to. Not sure how much you would get with 20 minutes but it would still be amazing. We did whale watching in Juneau with Harv and Marv.

We were on the Disney Wonder. Booked our own excursion though. We had 12 hours in Skagway. Our trip was at 10 AM. We had fantastic weather our entire week trip - amazing, hot weather.

Time on glacier I would have liked to stay longer. We did walk around as a group but there were plenty of photo opportunities and the guides even offered to take photos of us if we wanted them to. Not sure how much you would get with 20 minutes but it would still be amazing. We did whale watching in Juneau with Harv and Marv.

Who did you book your tour through? We have also have a long time in Skagway. Just nervous that if the weather doesn't cooperate, then we will have missed our chance by not doing it in Juneau. Wish I could find a tour with around 40 min on the Glacier for $300ish in Juneau.

Our whole family of 4 really wants to do this! We have about $2K for our shore excursion budget for Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, in that order. If we keep the costs on the lower end for this, maybe we can do something fabulous in either Skagway (Fly Drake? $650) or Ketchikan (Misty Fjord? $400-1000) Or if we helicopter in Skagway, maybe we can do Tracy Arm ($750) in Juneau?

I've researched the four companies and come up with the following info.

Is 20 minutes on the Glacier enough time? Some tripadvisor reviews lamented the short walkabout time.

Would love to hear your thoughts and/or your feedback on any of these companies and tours.

Helitrek.com (operated by North Star Trekking) - through cruise line

Juneau Level 1 40 min ride + 1 hour on glacier - fully outfitted with clothing, boots, crampons $399 pp x 4 = $1596

Juneau Level 2 40 min ride + 2 hours on glacier - (same outfitting) $449 pp x 4 = $1796

Alaskahelicoptertours.com (Temsco) - through cruise line

Skagway Glacier Discovery 40 minute flight, 40 minutes on glacier (no mention of equipment provided) $349 pp x 4 = $1396

Juneau Mendenhall Glacier 30 minute flight, 20 minutes on glacier also $349 pp

Alaskahelicopterflightseeing.com - through cruise line

Juneau 30 minutes flight + 20 minutes on Glacier, glacier walking boots provided $349 pp = $1396

Eraflightseeing.com - pickup close to cruise ship dock

Juneau 35 minutes flight + 20 minutes on glacier, glacier boots provided $286 pp x 3 (1 person = $99 for 2:1 coupon book for 4th person, they only allow one coupon per flight) = $957

Coastalhelicopters.com - transport to/from dock included

Juneau 1 hour total flight + glacier, glacier boots provided $267 pp x 4 = $1028

Juneau 1.5 hours flight + glacier time, same equipment $424 pp x $1696

Thanks!

Whatever you do, don't miss this chance to take the helicopter and land on the glacier. They all supply the equipment. The hard thing will be to decide who gets to ride in the front seat of the helicopter! Awesome!!!

Who did you book your tour through? We have also have a long time in Skagway. Just nervous that if the weather doesn't cooperate, then we will have missed our chance by not doing it in Juneau. Wish I could find a tour with around 40 min on the Glacier for $300ish in Juneau.

Temesco Helicopters directly from their website.

Whatever you do, don't miss this chance to take the helicopter and land on the glacier. They all supply the equipment. The hard thing will be to decide who gets to ride in the front seat of the helicopter! Awesome!!!

I agree 100% with the statement not to be missed..... For our helicopter we didn't get to pick who sat in the front seat with the pilot. We were all weighed... : ( They did this privately and they balanced the helicopter out by weight. It was my, DH, DD14 and another couple. My DD sat next to the pilot and DH sat next to her. In the back row on the right next to the window. The seat next to me was empty and the other couple sat in the other two seats - wife next to window and husband next to her... All had great views of the flight.

Walking on a glacier is an amazing experience, the easist and most expensive is of course the helicopter. I've done it twice, each time didn't really think twice about how pricey it is. The second time added dog sledding.

As to value, that willl be personal. The dog sledding is often canceled the regular glacier less so as they don't go as high from what I understand.

I've never heard of people saying they spent too much time. I think they've timed this to maximize revenue without being so short people feel they are being ripped off. So they aren't going to give you all the all of us want. Its out, just enough and back. The trekking sound very fun, pricey but it isn't without two costs, one is the dollars and the second is that you can't spend that valuable time and money doing another excursion. I'd say divide your dollars up and do just the landing and with other limited funds another excursion, but that is me.

I have gone with 3 of your 4 listed companies. I only recommend the level 3 with Northstar- time is what's important and the ability to weed out people who will bog the group down- which you have a high potential with the level 1- which I would never consider.

Coastal, in my experience offers the longest time on the glacier. It's been 45 minutes on 3 of my 7 trips.

You need to find out what is still available, unless, you don't have to fly together?? Finding 4 seats may be a challenge if going this year.

BudgetQueen, did you do the Icefield Adventure with Coastal for the 45 min on the glacier? Their website just says 1.5 hours, but not how much is spent on the ice. From other reviews, it sounds like with Coastal, you will land in a private spot, away from other helicopters. Is that what you found?

I know - there are a lot of ships in port the same day as us, so I'm concerned.

I wish I could do the Skagway trip for $309 that DisneyHotMama mentioned, but if I skip doing it in Juneau and then the weather is bad in Skagway... we will be devastated!

The only port my wife and I are able to do a helicopter or flightseeing excursion is in Skagway and even then there are really only TESCMO (helicopter $309pp) and for plane Fly Drake and Moutain Flying Services.

I first looked into Drake (cheap price) and as the reviews online are good alot of the people have 1-2 posts. I then saw Moutain Flying Services who have a better and more safe plane from what i understand. I decided to go on the #2 flight over the east and west glaciers its $279pp they make landings for $25 extra pp however I am unsure if we will do that. If two more people go they will knock $20 off each person's price.

Since weare in Skagway from 7am-8pm we have plenty of time for a flightseeing tour after the train ride to the Yukon. I had a hard time picking the flightseeing over the helicopter tour I am honestly still not sure if I am making the right decision either.

Helicopter or Plane?

The only port my wife and I are able to do a helicopter or flightseeing excursion is in Skagway and even then there are really only TESCMO (helicopter $309pp) and for plane Fly Drake and Moutain Flying Services.

I first looked into Drake (cheap price) and as the reviews online are good alot of the people have 1-2 posts. I then saw Moutain Flying Services who have a better and more safe plane from what i understand. I decided to go on the #2 flight over the east and west glaciers its $279pp they make landings for $25 extra pp however I am unsure if we will do that. If two more people go they will knock $20 off each person's price.

Since weare in Skagway from 7am-8pm we have plenty of time for a flightseeing tour after the train ride to the Yukon. I had a hard time picking the flightseeing over the helicopter tour I am honestly still not sure if I am making the right decision either.

Helicopter or Plane?

The company is TEMSCO. By far, landing on a glacier is superior than just flighseeing. You also are not taking a train ride into the "Yukon". That is an all day excursion and involves the Lake Bennet train.

BudgetQueen, did you do the Icefield Adventure with Coastal for the 45 min on the glacier? Their website just says 1.5 hours, but not how much is spent on the ice. From other reviews, it sounds like with Coastal, you will land in a private spot, away from other helicopters. Is that what you found?

I know - there are a lot of ships in port the same day as us, so I'm concerned.

I wish I could do the Skagway trip for $309 that DisneyHotMama mentioned, but if I skip doing it in Juneau and then the weather is bad in Skagway... we will be devastated!

Coastal has always been less tightly timed compared to the other two vendors, who do the regular glacier landing. The real jackpot tour to take is the pilot's choice and double landing. :)

Sorry, but you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You really need to be accepting of flight cancelations. Hopefully you will fly, but plan some other good activities to fill the time.

The company is TEMSCO. By far, landing on a glacier is superior than just flighseeing. You also are not taking a train ride into the "Yukon". That is an all day excursion and involves the Lake Bennet train.

Have you done both Flightseeing and the TEMSCO tour or is this just what you have heard/read?

Have you done both Flightseeing and the TEMSCO tour or is this just what you have heard/read?

Yes, I have personally flown both, several times. I've taken probably close to 100 Alaska flightseeing tours, including 7 inside passage glacier helicopter landings. I've flown scenic flights out of SKagway, Haines, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Juneau. Ketchikan and Sitka were not glacier flights, but scenic flights and bear tours.

Yes, I have personally flown both, several times. I've taken probably close to 100 Alaska flightseeing tours, including 7 inside passage glacier helicopter landings. I've flown scenic flights out of SKagway, Haines, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Juneau. Ketchikan and Sitka were not glacier flights, but scenic flights and bear tours.

Great good to know thank you. I may book with TEMSCO it seems they have only one glacier discovery tour option in Skagway. You are the expert, thank you !!

I called Temsco and they told me its the $309 pp however if you cancel 24 hours before your tour for any reason they charge 10% which is $30pp and there is NO refund if you cancel within 24 hours. She stated that if we call them the morning of the cruiseships most of the time have leftover spots and they have more time slots. I am going to wait I have the flightseeing tour booked (no charge for booking/canceling) and I will wait till the day of for the Helicopter tour if I do end up booking.

Coastal has always been less tightly timed compared to the other two vendors, who do the regular glacier landing. The real jackpot tour to take is the pilot's choice and double landing. :)

Sorry, but you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You really need to be accepting of flight cancelations. Hopefully you will fly, but plan some other good activities to fill the time.

What do you mean by Coastal being less tightly timed?

I contacted Temsco directly and am now deciding between these in Juneau:

1. Temsco Pilot's Choice: 50 minutes flying and two 15 minute landings

2. North Star Trekking Level 1 Trek: 40 min flying and 1 hour on ice

3. Coastal Helicopter's Adventure Tour 1.5 hour flight & glacier combined

Have you done these? If so, which would you do again? They are about the same price. I would love to see ice caves, lakes, etc up close.

I figure if we plan to helicopter in Juneau and it's cancelled, we'll call ahead to Skagway and try to get on Temsco there. Then, in Juneau, we'll do small boat whale watching or Mendenhall canoe trip (will have to see what we can book at the pier). Or just go to Mendenhall and hike to Nugget Falls.

Now I can see how one trip to Alaska just isn't enough!!

Archived