Differences between Carnival and Royal Caribbean?

My friend has been on two Carnival cruises, and I am a big Royal Caribbean fan. She is considering a RCCL cruise for the first time. I was trying to explain to her yesterday the differences between the two.

In your opinion, what would you say are the biggest distinctions?

Of course, I understand that I might get biased answers as I am posting on a RCCL site board after all.:D

Well I have sailed on both, and I like both cruise lines although most people do tend to lean one way. Lately my lean has been towards RCCL and for me its some small reasons. I like that RCCL leaves their pools and hot tubs open 24 hours, I like that they have adult only sections on the ship. I also like how the pools are set up, on Carnival you have to climb down into them, on RCCL that have that nice ledge all the way around so you can just sit in the shallow water if you want, or hang your legs into the pool.

They also have a full room service menu where carnival only has limited choices. They also do a little bit more for me as a past guest. They upgraded me to platinum after three cruises when I had booked my last two, which gave me $100 off the price for both of those cruises.

Other than that I am, not saying I would not go on a carnival cruise again, I would I like them an have fun, but its those small things above that make me choose rccl. Also, I love the voyager class ships, I think they are awesome boats and really enjoy sailing on them. As I said its not the big things, its the little ones that I like and there are enough of them to make to choose RCCL.

I would pick RCI over Carnival, although the "Fun Ships" are a great value. We select cruises by port stops and ships and are now trying to nail down a cruise on Thompson Destiny (former Song of America.).

I have sailed both and to be 100% honest they are VERY similar. The food on Carnival is a tad better but that could have easily been a difference in ships. I think you will be happy with either line. The important thing rather than the line, is the ship. If you love Voyager class ships on RCI then do not sail the Fantasy. If you are a HUGE fan of the Rhapsody you might not be as happy on the Conquest. Each line has ships that are excellent and both lines have ships that Shine.

Our sailing history is as follows.... RCCl Granduer/CCL Victory/CCL Triumph and we just returned from Explorer. I will say I am more impressed with RCCL. On our last cruise I found the staff to be more attentive. They seemed to like their jobs rather than it being just a function. I like the idea the pools and hot tubs are open 24 hours.... I like the Portofino dinning optioin. I thought the food was just wonderful on RCCL. The pizza is better on CCL. The layout of the RCCL ships is easier to follow from bow to stern. The CCL have several floors where you have to go up or down to get from bow to stern because of the placement of the dinning rooms. I also like the perks RCCL gives past cruisers. Coupon books have usable coupons. On CCL 2nd trip we did not rec. any perks. I will say that the production numbers were better on Carnival. So all in all I am considering only RCCL for 2007 prob. Freedom.

My 14 yo stepson has been on 4 cruises.....2 with us on RCI, 1 with his mother on RCI, and the last one on Carnival with his mother. He came back and said that he didn't like Carnival because it was "too gaudy" and the whole ship looked like a video arcade. He told me that the next time we all go on a cruise, he wants it to be on Royal Caribbean.

As you can see from my signature, I am a big fan of RCI.

I think that there are SIGNIFICANT differences between the two lines. Carnival ships are gaudy, with in-your-face decor. The lobbies are dark and neon and you would never know you were at sea.

Room service is very limited and I prefer RCI's nightlife as well as the great ShipShape program aboard. I can also get lox, etc, without trip to the dining room on RCI and I cannot on CCL. I am not a burgers, pizza or fish and chips person and prefer quality over quantity. CCL is about quantity and fast food and noise and crowds. It is absolutely not for me, at any price.

Service and food on my two Carnival sailings were mediocre at best. The waiters on CCL are not European trained and I think there is a big difference.

The passengers on Carnival are decidedly more casual than those on RCI, IME, and I quite dislike shorts and t-shirts in the dining room at dinner.

IMO, Carnival is the Walmart of cruise lines. Tacky and cheap, all the way around.

I have sailed on both lines and found them to be very similar. The biggest differences to me were:

1. Carnival's food is better

2. The decor is less "glitzy" on RCI.

3. For a comparable cabin, Carnival wins with more space.

The obvious difference in cruise lines is the passengers themselves. Royal Caribbean passengers all live in mansions, drive exotic foreign cars, drink 30 year old scotch and name their kids Brighton and Muffy. Carnival passengers live in trailers, have 3 rusted out cars in the front yard, drink Boones Farm and name their kids Cletus and Mary-Bob....:rolleyes:

I'm with hstry. Carnival standard cabins are bigger. Food in the DR on Carnival is a tad better. Entertainment is equal and both lines are excellent for families. Radiance class ships of RCI are the prettiest I've seen out of 18 cruises. I have no interest in sailing another Voyager class ship. After a week on Navigator I felt like I had vacationed at Mall of America.

superjerryw, I have some time to kill this AM and have been reading & posting a little. ALL of your posts just crack me up. I hope to meet you on a cruise sometime, you seem to have a great outlook on life.

Only one thing: I think I might be on the wrong cruise line.;)

Well, if you want to show her what Royal Caribbean looks like, go to the link in my signature and visit the video page. There's a video file of our Mariner cruise which (I think...) should get anyone in the mood to go with Royal Caribbean. :)

I agree with everyone above. Well, OK..... except for superjerry (;) ).

What tips the scale for us is the RCI past passenger program (C&A), now combined with the Celebrity Captain's Club. CCL now has gold and platinum id cards for pax, but nothing behind them. We'll go on them again, but not soon.

In your opinion, what would you say are the biggest distinctions?

Of course, I understand that I might get biased answers as I am posting on a RCCL site board after all.:D

Hi,

You might also want to post this question on the Carnival board, so those enthusiasts can weigh in on their opinions.

I think both have great food, entertainment, and service. (mostly because I don't have to cook or clean all week) :D

RCCL has nicer interior of the public areas on board the ship, but Carnival has way bigger "basic" staterooms. RCCL has shower doors (Voyager Class) and CCL has shower curtains. I prefer the doors.

In my experience the CCL cruises have been cheaper in price. That makes them easier for me to book. But RCCL has a great Crown and Anchor membership club for repeat guests. Carnival doesn't even come close to that.

Either way, you're on a ship. You're going to have a great time! :D

I like that RCCL leaves their pools and hot tubs open 24 hours, I like that they have adult only sections on the ship. I also like how the pools are set up, on Carnival you have to climb down into them, on RCCL that have that nice ledge all the way around so you can just sit in the shallow water if you want, or hang your legs into the pool.

This really is a great idea! I totally agree.

They also do a little bit more for me as a past guest. They upgraded me to platinum after three cruises when I had booked my last two, which gave me $100 off the price for both of those cruises.

Absolutely, CCL doesn't have any past guest perks that I've ever received.

Also, I love the voyager class ships

Me threee! :D

superjerryw, I have some time to kill this AM and have been reading & posting a little. ALL of your posts just crack me up. I hope to meet you on a cruise sometime, you seem to have a great outlook on life.

Only one thing: I think I might be on the wrong cruise line.;)

I hope to meet you on a cruise too. Here's my address so you can send me the tickets. Your treat right..........:rolleyes:

The obvious difference in cruise lines is the passengers themselves. Royal Caribbean passengers all live in mansions, drive exotic foreign cars, drink 30 year old scotch and name their kids Brighton and Muffy. Carnival passengers live in trailers, have 3 rusted out cars in the front yard, drink Boones Farm and name their kids Cletus and Mary-Bob....:rolleyes:

As a carnival past guest, may I please explain that I only have 1 rusted out car in my front yard? ;)

It's not that I'm offended by your generalization, I just think it was a tad strong. :)

I've wanted to try a Carnival Cruise for a while (I love RCCL but would like a frame of reference), but my wife refuses. She fears it being a total "party" boat rife with drinking, loud music, and thong clad co-eds (none of these are necessarily negatives in my book---;) )

I've wanted to try a Carnival Cruise for a while (I love RCCL but would like a frame of reference), but my wife refuses. She fears it being a total "party" boat rife with drinking, loud music, and thong clad co-eds (none of these are necessarily negatives in my book---;) )

There is some truth to that. On a recent cruise on RCCL we were talking to a couple whose last cruise was on Carnival. They said that they frequently smelled marijuana in the hallways and no one seemed to do anything about it. As for the co-eds in thongs, you might find that after all that partying the only people in thongs are drunked middle-aged obese men.....:eek: :eek:

I have sailed on Carnival twice. I don't know about the thongs, but your wife's concerns mirror my experieces.

Add tacky decor, lots of smoke, too many announcements and a spring break atmosphere.

I am not 20 anymore and am happy not to be. But I was cruising at 20 and even then would not have enjoyed Carnival.

Caviargal. Wondering how long ago you cruised Carnival. They now share the exact same demographics as Royal Caribbean. 30% under 30 and 30% 55 and older. Both very popular with families. Sadly, some of those that like to bash Carnival, haven't sailed them for 10 or 15 yrs and in some cases never cruised the line and only comment on heresay. Carnival does provide a very good product. Wish RCI had the Carnival galley staff.

Sailed twice on each line.

My opinion is that RCCL is a classier line but Carnival is way more fun. Entertainment is about the same, with RCCL having a bit of an edge in that sometimes they have "name" entertainers. I'm not crazy about Carnival's desserts but then I am a dessert nut and am pretty fussy. Food in general was equal. The last time we cruised RCCL was 1998 and the average age was probably in the 50s, however that may have changed now - we'll find out in 5 days!

Yes, Carnival is "glitzy" and a bit Las Vegas but I think that allows you to loosen up a bit more than you would. We never found problems with drunken passengers or rude behaviour on Carnival but then we are rarely up after midnight.

We've sailed 13 times on 5 lines - never had anything but a great time!

Mrs. Tulpule, Jerry was just being sarcastic. A little tongue-in-cheek toward another response posted earlier.

HD, I agree. If RCI ships and their passengers are so far superior, then why bash CCL with multiple responses that come across as tacky as what the decor is believed to be? :confused:

Mrs. Tulpule, Jerry was just being sarcastic. A little tongue-in-cheek toward another response posted earlier.

Thanks dms, I wasn't made aware of the previous post earlier. I thought someone was just having a bad day, and suffering from PCD.

HD, I agree too. Your post eloquently reflected what I was feeling but unable to get out right then. Stupid brain cloud :)

Hey! I live in a double wide trailer and sail RCI!!! "MUFFFY, GET THAT HUNTIN KNIFE OUTTA YOUR HANDS, RIGHT NOW"...

Archived