Help me choose a warm weather cruise; or, how hot is hot?

buckirj1

I've been thinking about going outside my comfort zone, and taking a Bahamas or Caribbean cruise. Trouble is, I don't like warm weather very much. I went to Bermuda in October several years ago, and was pretty uncomfortable. There's no good way to ask this in the port boards, so I'll rely on the NCL font-of-all-knowledge board.

In your experience, is the Bahamas or somewhere in the Caribbean colder and windier than any other? And is there any hope at all of low humidity? Is there a time of year that could be colder and windier than other times? I don't really care about rain, except for the humidity it brings.

I was thinking about one of the short cruises on the Sky, or one from NY so I'd have at least a few days of cold weather before it got hot.

Thanks for helping out a hot weather newbie.

I just looked it up here. Statistically, February is the coolest month in the Bahamas, and it is also the driest. However, I was there some years back in February, and it was pretty darn warm! If you cruise out of NY, the weather will be quite chilly for the first couple of days, which you might prefer. We sailed out of NY in November, but it's hard to remember when it got warm-- I'm thinking by the afternoon of the 2nd day, but I'm not sure.

The Caribbean is hotter than the Bahamas, so I don't recommend you cruising that far south.

My last couple of cruises have been in January on the Epic with the Eastern Caribbean route. Temps are just perfect and usually around 80 without the high humidity.

Highly recommended. It gets me away from the crappy midwest winters.

Wow, this is quite an education. I figured my idea of the hottest I ever wanted to be on vacation was about 65F. I can't imagine vacationing somewhere with temps in the 80's (well, I can-living where I do-but I don't have to like it). But the above posters are correct: I loathe humidity, but there needs to be a mighty wind blowing if I'm going to find 85F tolerable. At least those cruises are pretty cheap.

Like Fagan said in the musical "Oliver!"...I think I'd better think it out again! Thanks for all the help.

65F Cheese and crackers ...... Thats going to be tough to find . How do you feel about Alaska ;)

It's too hard to get to Alaska. I don't think I'd like it much, but I keep thinking about it. I'm not crazy about rural areas. I like scenery, so long as we keep on going. That's what makes Canada/NE so good for me.

I think I'd like the Baltics/Norway/British Isles very much, but I'm not in a position to be gone from home for that long just yet. And I can't be away from work during September.

Thanks for the help, something'll come up. I'll keep researching in the meantime.

The last thing you want is western caribbean in the summer. Walking out of the A/C was like jumping into a 90 degree pool.

Check out my hair in this picture. That's not gel and it's not raining. :p

1050-vi.jpg

It's too hard to get to Alaska. I don't think I'd like it much, but I keep thinking about it. I'm not crazy about rural areas. I like scenery, so long as we keep on going. That's what makes Canada/NE so good for me.

Your location says Mid-Atlantic - so VA/MD/DE/PA or thereabouts? You can get a non-stop flight from BWI to Seattle and hop a round-trip Alaskan cruise from there. Maybe I fly too much, but that doesn't sound too hard. And Alaska is all about the scenery! It is truly amazing. On a cruise, it doesn't seem a "rural" as just gorgeous untouched nature. Go in May or September to avoid the crowds and guarantee your cooler temps.

Archived