Afternoon Tea on the QM2

guernseyguy

How good is Afternoon Tea on the QM2  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How good is Afternoon Tea on the QM2

• Afternoon Tea should be done properly, especially on Cunard!
    • The current afternoon tea is absolutely fine - I have no complaints.
    • Afternoon Tea? No wonder you guys lost the Empire!
    • I was busy at the nobbly knees contest so I missed it....

As some of you may have noticed, one of the things that excited Mr Nitpicker & Mr Grumpy on their recent crossing were the quality and timing of Afternoon Tea on the QM2. To see whether others share this concern, or think that Messers Grumpy & Nitpicker really should get out more, they would welcome the views of other QM2 Passengers.....

During my cruise last year, The Winter Garden was the primary tea spot. Tea certainly could be had in the Queen's Room, but it was--gasp! horror!--self-serve. Has this situation changed?

Christopher

During my cruise last year, The Winter Garden was the primary tea spot. Tea certainly could be had in the Queen's Room, but it was--gasp! horror!--self-serve. Has this situation changed? Christopher

The Winter Garden is no longer used - no kitchen nearby, so tea is in the Queen's Room - but it is served (if you're lucky...).

Peter

Self-Serve? The idea makes me weep!

Last crossing on the QE2, tea was lovely, quality of the tea was high, and it was served at 4:00 p.m., as it should be! I'll have to report back in a few weeks as to whether that's changed. Hopefullly not.

Having been for many afternoon teas in the top london hotels I must confess I was a little disappointed in the QM2 served last May in the winter garden. The scones were not served with clotted cream which is essential and the tea was poured from a large pot rather than being given a selection of tea in an individual pot- maybe i am being over picky as they are serving lots and lots of people. I am hoping that it may have improved now it is in the Queen's room- will post on my return.

Self-Serve? The idea makes me weep!

Last crossing on the QE2, tea was lovely, quality of the tea was high, and it was served at 4:00 p.m., as it should be! I'll have to report back in a few weeks as to whether that's changed. Hopefullly not.

Every time we had afternoon on QE2 - be it Queen's Grill Louge or Queens Room - Tetley Tea bags were noticable dangling from the tea pot. The same on QM2. I believe you can only get Twinnings in the Lido.

The scones were not served with clotted cream which is essential and the tea was poured from a large pot rather than being given a selection of tea in an individual pot- maybe i am being over picky as they are serving lots and lots of people. I am hoping that it may have improved now it is in the Queen's room- will post on my return.

Bonni,

The service is poorer than on the QE2 where one was offered a choice of tea - Earl Grey or (iirc) Darjeeling - the cream is dreadful - obviously squished from a can - the only clot involved the one who selected it, and the jam flavourless red gloop. The scones have a heavy consistency & have a hard, rather than crumbly, crust, and the sandwiches betray much earlier preparation. Some of the cakes are good - I particularly enjoyed the mini-Battenburg - but most of them are buffet-bland.:(

Peter

Although we had greatly looked forward to afternoon tea on QM2, we only managed to have it once on the April 16 crossing and it was very nice. We were lucky to be in a Q cabin, so we naturally had our tea in the Queens Grill lounge. Tea was served very hot and the selection of sandwiches, pastries and scones all seemed very fresh. Sandwiches and cakes were offered without prompting, while scones were available on request and resulted in a completely separate presentation, which was very nicely done. I can't comment on the origins of the clotted cream, but the jam seemed acceptable. Dishware was the same as used in the Grill restaurants, so this added to the elegance. I believe the serving staff were also from the Grills and they wore white gloves and neat uniforms. The lounge was not fully occupied, so it was a very relaxing experience.

Charles

Peter: This month Saveur magazine’s cover is devoted to Devonshire and Cream tea. I did not realize that in addition to Afternoon and High Tea there is Cream Tea. The article gives a really great history, how to do it right, great recipes, etc. Of course Guernsey Cows are lovingly discussed.

Our high tea experience on the March 9 cruise to Caribbean was very memorable and among the highlights of our trip. We had missed lunch that day returning late from a beach excursion in St. Martin and made our way to the very elegant Queens Room.

I don't see a big deal with tea being served at 3:30 as opposed to 4. I grew up with a British mum and we would frequently drink tea throughout the day. Anytime is the right time for a nice cuppa.

The ambience in the Queens Room that March afternoon was very soothing as the strains from a lovely string quartet cast a calming and refreshing mood.

The service was spot on, as waiters and waitresses descended upon the vast room with gleaming trays of delectible pastries. We were very fond of the scones and cream with fresh strawberries.

The sandwhiches were also delicious particularly the smoked salmon. My only complaint was that the tea was not allowed proper time to steep. But, we were there at 3:30 pm on the bean. We look forward to returning to the glorious QM2 in January 2006 to visit all of our favorite rooms and to experience several more of those wonderful high teas.

Cruiserking

Just reporting in that, at least on the QE2, tea has been served at 4:00 each day in the Queen's Room, Queen's Grill Lounge, the Lido, and the Pavillion (with the appropriate formality in the first two, at least). It's been so lovely, I don't want to think of getting off the ship on Saturday.

Just reporting in that, at least on the QE2, tea has been served at 4:00 each day in the Queen's Room, Queen's Grill Lounge, the Lido, and the Pavillion (with the appropriate formality in the first two, at least). It's been so lovely, I don't want to think of getting off the ship on Saturday.

Blazerboy - great to hear from you & delighted to hear that on the QE2 at least they still do it properly - look forward to a full debrief (ooh er...more tea Vicar?) when you have a mo!

Peter

Peter, check out this thread, if you haven't already. I've tacked on my comments about my cruise to another's review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=183942

A great trip, over too soon, but there's always next year (that, unfortunately, is not a phrase we'll be able to use for too many more years about the QE2)

Andrew

Archived