Directions to Hatchers Pass/Independence Mine

cg_abby

BUMP

I just drove on Willow Fishhook road from Hatcher Pass to Willow.

Despite all of the warnings of its "danger" and treacherousness, it was a piece of cake.

Road was in very good condition, and didn't feel dangerous at all.

Any standard passenger car or SUV can do it just fine, unless it's raining hard, in which case you should probably avoid it.

Just wanted to put it out there, in case some of you were afraid of making this drive. I'm glad I did it!

You likely violated your rental contract which I would not recommend. I saw a car "purchase" happen on the Dalton from someone doing the same thing. If you're, ok with assuming the entire liability, including a "car purchase", then a personal choice.

You likely violated your rental contract which I would not recommend. I saw a car "purchase" happen on the Dalton from someone doing the same thing. If you're, ok with assuming the entire liability, including a "car purchase", then a personal choice.

Yes, I did technically violate the contract, though it oddly listed the dirt roads you couldn't travel on (this was NOT one of them) and also said you couldn't travel on ANY unpaved roads. So why list certain roads specifically, if there's a catch-all? But yes, I did sign something agreeing I wouldn't drive on unpaid roads.

They can't force a "car purchase", though, unless it exceeds the cost of repairs. I believe my personal auto insurance policy would cover such damage anyway (after my deductible), even if I were technically in violation of the rental car policy. The rental car's LDW wouldn't cover it (which I don't take anyway), nor would the personal accident coverage of my credit card, but I believe my personal auto policy would. Not 100% sure about this, and in fact I think I might check with my insurance agent for the future.

Anyway, I gamble for a living, so I decided to gamble here. My plan was to assess the condition of the road at the beginning, and bail out if it wasn't good. It seemed fine, and stayed fine. I do know that conditions can change over time, but in July 2018 the road was excellent.

Yes, I did technically violate the contract, though it oddly listed the dirt roads you couldn't travel on (this was NOT one of them) and also said you couldn't travel on ANY unpaved roads. So why list certain roads specifically, if there's a catch-all? But yes, I did sign something agreeing I wouldn't drive on unpaid roads.

They can't force a "car purchase", though, unless it exceeds the cost of repairs. I believe my personal auto insurance policy would cover such damage anyway (after my deductible), even if I were technically in violation of the rental car policy. The rental car's LDW wouldn't cover it (which I don't take anyway), nor would the personal accident coverage of my credit card, but I believe my personal auto policy would. Not 100% sure about this, and in fact I think I might check with my insurance agent for the future.

Anyway, I gamble for a living, so I decided to gamble here. My plan was to assess the condition of the road at the beginning, and bail out if it wasn't good. It seemed fine, and stayed fine. I do know that conditions can change over time, but in July 2018 the road was excellent.

Nope- if you violated your rental agreement- NO insurance is going to cover you.. The "purchase" involved due the car not being able to be recovered. down an embankment. :halo:I think it likely :halo::halo:they th:halo:ought the same thing as you., it was "ok". ( I happened to have met them)

As I said, I am checking with my insurance agent on this one. I attempted to find the answer online, but there was nothing either way regarding personal insurance covering rental cars being driven in violation of the rental agreement. Do you have personal experience with personal insurance not covering vehicles in violation of the rental agreement, or at least know someone directly who was denied such coverage? Or are you just assuming? I'm not trying to be snotty here... I'm honestly trying to figure out the answer. (Often what seems to be the "obvious" assumption turns out to be untrue, especially where insurance is concerned!)

Willow Fishhook Road was totally safe and fine when I drove it. Very little danger of damage, especially to an SUV. I probably hit it during one of its "better" periods, but if I had been able to know the road conditions before going, I would have 100% made the decision to drive it, without a moment's thought.

Willow Fishhook Road was totally safe and fine when I drove it. Very little danger of damage, especially to an SUV. I probably hit it during one of its "better" periods, but if I had been able to know the road conditions before going, I would have 100% made the decision to drive it, without a moment's thought.

If it was dusty (and it can get very dusty) or muddy (and it can get very muddy), you might want to give the car a wash & vacuum before returning it to avoid a cleaning fee. If you happened to hit the sweet spot when the road was dry but not dusty or wet but not muddy then you should be fine...

As I said, I am checking with my insurance agent on this one. I attempted to find the answer online, but there was nothing either way regarding personal insurance covering rental cars being driven in violation of the rental agreement. Do you have personal experience with personal insurance not covering vehicles in violation of the rental agreement, or at least know someone directly who was denied such coverage? Or are you just assuming? I'm not trying to be snotty here... I'm honestly trying to figure out the answer. (Often what seems to be the "obvious" assumption turns out to be untrue, especially where insurance is concerned!)

Yes, the person, who drove their car of the Dalton, and someone in my family is a claims adjuster. Anything they can find to deny a claim is used. They aren't a bank. With your insurance, call your claims department and ask them if they are going to pay, on a violated contract. Most cars now have GPS, so they know exactly where they have been. This is looked at first.

Yes, the person, who drove their car of the Dalton, and someone in my family is a claims adjuster. Anything they can find to deny a claim is used. They aren't a bank. With your insurance, call your claims department and ask them if they are going to pay, on a violated contract. Most cars now have GPS, so they know exactly where they have been. This is looked at first.

There are hard rules on this sort of thing. If the policy says that rental car damage is covered, but they do not exclude coverage for violating rental company policy, then legally they have to cover you. Often adjusters will at first attempt to deny claims because it's their job to attempt to pay the minimum (or not at all). But when push comes to shove, you can get them to pay if the black-and-white contract does not exclude coverage in the situation. I have had a few instances involving both myself and family members where coverage was denied by the adjuster, but they ultimately backed down and paid, including one involving a rental.

As I said, I don't know the answer to this yet, but I'm looking into it. Maybe I will come back and concede that personal auto policies won't pay for damage sustained while driving on a dirt road (if that's in violation of the rental contract), but maybe I'll find the opposite. I'll report back when I get a solid answer.

According to Avis (and I believe the other rental companies are the same)

No. We do not allow our renters to take our vehicles on unpaved (gravel) roads. If a renter ignores our policy by driving on unpaved roads, the LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) will not apply, even though they paid for it, since they violated the terms of the contract.

I interpret this to mean that if you drive on a dirt road and damage the car, the insurance you bought from the rental company is void. If you don’t buy their insurance because you carry rental car insurance on your policy your insurance would pay.

Just as I thought, my personal auto insurance WOULD HAVE paid for any damage sustained on Willow Fishhook road, even though I was violating my rental contract by doing so.

Here's what my insurance agent said, who works with only one company (my auto insurance company), and has been doing so for decades:

Currently with your policy you have comprehensive and collision coverages which would cover a private passenger vehicle when you rent a vehicle short term should you be in an accident and have damages to the rented vehicle. This is subject to your deductible of $1000, also. It wouldn't cover anyone not listed on your policy.

We don't go by a car rental's contract, as your insurance is based on your policy contract with us.

Looks like Budget Queen's friend either took "no" for an answer too easily, or that person needs a better insurance company.

So wolfie, you're correct.

Driving on a dirt road would void the rental car company's LDW and any credit card coverage you have for rental car damage, but your personal auto insurance likely WOULD cover the damage, after you pay your deductible.