LeBistro mushroom soup

wrestlemom

This is one of the best soups I have had and if anyone has any idea where I would find the recipe I would greatly apprciate it. Thanks and HAPPY CRUISING.

Was that the 4 mushroom soup? If it was, my son loved it. I don't like mushrooms but I'd make the soup for him if anyone shares the recipe.

Since having it, those around me know this was the best thing I have every eaten. It was also a contributing factor for us to book another NCL cruise in November. I have not tried to replicate, but I would say it has a variety of mushrooms. I could have licked the bowl.

Is she willing to share the recipe?? :)

Actually, she wouldn't have a recipe per se. She'd just start cooking.

At least four kinds of fungus (because we're fun guys). Cream. Probably a bit of onion, but not much. Butter. Time.

I'll get her to look things over later, she's busy now.

It won't be a real involved recipe.

Last time I was on the Epic (or the Dawn--I was on them back to back in January, and I don't remember which) they had a cooking demo that included the four mushroom soup. They were handing out recipes, but I got there late and they ran out, and I didn't take the trouble to try to get them to send it to my room (which they would have done). I had the soup at the tasting and at Le Bistro, though, and I love it too. I'd suggest asking them for the recipe next time you are in the restaurant. I'm sure they'll be happy to provide it.

Oh, the pressure is on and I haven't had a taste of the yummy soup in several months! Here is what I'd do today:

Rinse and chop:

white button mushrooms

****ake mushrooms, stemmed

portobello mushrooms

whatever other good fresh mushroom that Kroger's might be selling that day

fresh parsley

1/2 stick butter (or more if you're feeling too skinny and healthy! More is better.)

5 cans (or more, if you've got spare time) low sodium chicken broth

white wine(the boxed kind is fine)

1/2 and 1/2

heavy cream

pepper

Saute the mushrooms and parsley in butter. Then set aside 1/2 cup of this. Add chicken broth and wine to the remaining mushroom mixture. Simmer. Add more chicken broth. Add some wine. Drink some wine (I like the kind in a bottle for this step!). Simmer. Drink more wine. Add more broth and wine. Drink some more. Repeat. You really want this to get condensed, so you'll have to drink even more.

When the kitchen is swaying a little bit, pretend you're on a ship. You could ask your spouse to announce Bingo or something. Turn off the stove. Add the 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream. The amount you add will depend on how much wine you've had to drink. Put some of the reserved mushrooms in the bottom of each bowl, then pour the soup on top of the fresh fungus. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper.

The recipe would probably be different if I'd eaten at Le Bistro last week... Bon Appetit from Mrs. Luddie!

Oh, the pressure is on and I haven't had a taste of the yummy soup in several months! Here is what I'd do today:

Rinse and chop:

white button mushrooms

portobello mushrooms

fresh parsley

1/2 stick butter (or more if you're feeling too skinny and healthy! More is better.)

1/2 and 1/2

heavy cream

pepper

Saute the mushrooms and parsley in butter. Then set aside 1/2 cup of this. Add chicken broth and wine to the remaining mushroom mixture. Simmer. Add more chicken broth. Add some wine. Drink some wine (I like the kind in a bottle for this step!). Simmer. Drink more wine. Add more broth and wine. Drink some more. Repeat. You really want this to get condensed, so you'll have to drink even more.

When the kitchen is swaying a little bit, pretend you're on a ship. You could ask your spouse to announce Bingo or something. Turn off the stove. Add the 1/2 and 1/2 and heavy cream. The amount you add will depend on how much wine you've had to drink. Put some of the reserved mushrooms in the bottom of each bowl, then pour the soup on top of the fresh fungus. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper.

The recipe would probably be different if I'd eaten at Le Bistro last week... Bon Appetit from Mrs. Luddie!

Oh my - I love the way you cook! Seriously, this sounds yummy. I only have to wait until August 11 to have it again on board a ship. :cool:

Rinse and chop:

white button mushrooms

portobello mushrooms

fresh parsley

1/2 and 1/2

heavy cream

pepper

Here's an additional thingy:

If you wish to extend the soup and perhaps make it a little heartier, you can add a rabbit to the pot.

A warning though-----be careful if you add the rabbit because there some people who will not care for hares in their soup.

Edited by luddite

Here is the actual recipe from the Norwegian Jewel:

Name: Cream of Mushroom Soup

Yield: 10 portions

Amount Ingredients/Details

4 oz Butter

4 oz Onions chopped

20 oz Mushrooms chopped

4 oz Rice Flour

2 pints Chicken Stock

½ pint Milk

½ pint Heavy Cream

Salt & Pepper

1 ea Bouquet Gami

1 oz Parsley chopped

1 oz Sliced Mushrooms for garnish

Procedure:

1. Sauté sliced mushrooms in half of butter until golden brown.

2. Sauté onions in other half of remaining butter, without color in 5 minutes.

3. Add chopped mushrooms, let cook for 5 minutes.

4. Add rice, flour and stir mushrooms, let cook for 5 mn

5. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring continuously.

6. Add bouquet garnis, and then slowly simmer for at least 60 minutes until smooth and thickened.

7. Take out bouquet garnis and place soup in food processor and blend until smooth.

8. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

9. Serve in soup cup

10. Add parsley and sautéed sliced mushrooms for garnish.

Edited by Beaver1975

Here is the actual recipe from the Norwegian Jewel:

Name: Cream of Mushroom Soup

Yield: 10 portions

Amount Ingredients/Details

4 oz Butter

4 oz Onions chopped

20 oz Mushrooms chopped

4 oz Rice Flour

2 pints Chicken Stock

½ pint Milk

½ pint Heavy Cream

Salt & Pepper

1 ea Bouquet Gami

1 oz Parsley chopped

1 oz Sliced Mushrooms for garnish

Procedure:

1. Sauté sliced mushrooms in half of butter until golden brown.

2. Sauté onions in other half of remaining butter, without color in 5 minutes.

3. Add chopped mushrooms, let cook for 5 minutes.

4. Add rice, flour and stir mushrooms, let cook for 5 mn

5. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring continuously.

6. Add bouquet garnis, and then slowly simmer for at least 60 minutes until smooth and thickened.

7. Take out bouquet garnis and place soup in food processor and blend until smooth.

8. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

9. Serve in soup cup

10. Add parsley and sautéed sliced mushrooms for garnish.

...should read Bouquet Garni

Edited by Beaver1975
  • Like 1

Here's the recipe that was given to me by the Restaurant Manager on the Jewel, Mihaela Mocan, back in Sept 2009. For the record, this is one of my all-time favorite dishes on NCL.

NCLMushroomSoup1.jpg

NCLMushroomSoup2.jpg

Edited by johnql