Golden Alaska Most traveled luncheon or skywalkers?

Luvsprincess

It varies from cruise to cruise. ;)

It often doesn't vary from week to week. It can vary from Captain/season to the next Captain/Season.

For example - if this Captain is here for the entire Alaska season, they most likely will all be in Skywalkers unless there is some odd conflict.

When this Captain leaves and the ship repos, it may change to the next Captain's preference.

It's not the ship, it's the itinerary....the 7 day Alaskan cruises rarely have time for the luncheon.

Most of my Alaskan cruises have had luncheons (all 7 nights). As recently as in May of this this year where we had lunches 2 different weeks (one ways). 3 years ago when I sailed Alaska last time (RT Seattle), it was a lunch also.

Many years ago on the Dawn, it was a cocktail party. So I have had both. I think it is a Captain preference.

Most of the higher numbered cruisers do Alaska a few times & don't go back for some reason. They seen it & move on to other places. It could be that the Alaskan trips are just shorter & they prefer longer trips like Hawaii or the Caribbean.

My friends and myself must be unique :) We prefer Alaska to the Caribbean and have gone back many times. I haven't been back to the Caribbean in probably 5 years. Too crowded there :( I have been cruising other locations (Canada NE, coastals, repos, Mexico, Alaska).

It often doesn't vary from week to week. It can vary from Captain/season to the next Captain/Season.

For example - if this Captain is here for the entire Alaska season, they most likely will all be in Skywalkers unless there is some odd conflict.

When this Captain leaves and the ship repos, it may change to the next Captain's preference.

Although most passengers prefer the luncheon since it's not something we receive to often, the Captains on the other hand sees that type of food daily & probably gets tired of it- hence the cocktail party which probably takes less time? I know if I were eating those types of meals continuously I would tend to just prefer a drink or two instead of more of the same thing.

My friends and myself must be unique :) We prefer Alaska to the Caribbean and have gone back many times. I haven't been back to the Caribbean in probably 5 years. Too crowded there :( I have been cruising other locations (Canada NE, coastals, repos, Mexico, Alaska).

It all depends on where you live for me since we tend to avoid flying when at all possible. If I lived on the west coast it would be mostly Hawaiian trips, then Alaskan then coastal since they require no flying. Possibly round trip Panama canal to break it up but forget Mexico.

And yes the Caribbean does get crowded but since we've been to every port in the Caribbean so many times we only get off the ship to stretch our legs & get right back on. I might even say the same thing about Hawaii if I sailed there 2 or 3 times per year.

It all depends on where you live for me since we tend to avoid flying when at all possible. If I lived on the west coast it would be mostly Hawaiian trips, then Alaskan then coastal since they require no flying. Possibly round trip Panama canal to break it up but forget Mexico.

And yes the Caribbean does get crowded but since we've been to every port in the Caribbean so many times we only get off the ship to stretch our legs & get right back on. I might even say the same thing about Hawaii if I sailed there 2 or 3 times per year.

I live in Nebraska! It is not easy for me to get to either coast :( No direct flights either way for me.

I think I just got burned out on the Caribbean (and many changes made for cruises there such as docking locations plus more mega ships and crowding has made it less desirable) and I am not a fan of the Crown (and I assume her sisters Ruby and Emerald). If I was to go back to the Caribbean it would be on the Grand or another line.

Although most passengers prefer the luncheon since it's not something we receive to often, the Captains on the other hand sees that type of food daily & probably gets tired of it- hence the cocktail party which probably takes less time?

Did he tell you this? :rolleyes:

Its his job! :eek:

Did he tell you this? :rolleyes:

Its his job! :eek:

Exactly. I don't know why people are so excited about

socializing with the captain, senior officers and department

heads -- when it is their job to show up.

They are being paid to be to 'play with you'.

What's funny -- many times I have seen a group of them

stand at the bar in skywalkers, and completely ignore

the passengers. I always think -- why did you even bother

showing up?

I rarely attend any more, unless it happens to be a captain

that Mrs. Pablo wants a picture with -- like Tony Yoemans.

Although most passengers prefer the luncheon since it's not something we receive to often, the Captains on the other hand sees that type of food daily & probably gets tired of it- hence the cocktail party which probably takes less time? I know if I were eating those types of meals continuously I would tend to just prefer a drink or two instead of more of the same thing.

Once we have been seated at the Captains table. He must have been tired of the usual food. He ordered something entirely different that was served to the rest of us. So they can order whatever they would like.

Exactly. I don't know why people are so excited about

socializing with the captain, senior officers and department

heads -- when it is their job to show up.

They are being paid to be to 'play with you'.

What's funny -- many times I have seen a group of them

stand at the bar in skywalkers, and completely ignore

the passengers. I always think -- why did you even bother

showing up?

I rarely attend any more, unless it happens to be a captain

that Mrs. Pablo wants a picture with -- like Tony Yoemans.

A positive attitude can play a big part in your interaction with the officers. After all --- They are human and some truly enjoy being around happy people. It is their job to attend the functions, but there is more to it than just a job.

They are human and some truly enjoy being around happy people.

Then, you would not need a contrived party for them to socialize

with pax.

And, certainly the ones who huddle around the bar and chat among

themselves have no interest in socializing with pax.

Most of my Alaskan cruises have had luncheons (all 7 nights). As recently as in May of this this year where we had lunches 2 different weeks (one ways). 3 years ago when I sailed Alaska last time (RT Seattle), it was a lunch also.

Many years ago on the Dawn, it was a cocktail party. So I have had both. I think it is a Captain preference.

Do you think any of the decision could be based on the number of days those invited to the most traveled event have sailed? Could a lower number of days result in a cocktail party which I would think is less expensive than the lunch?

For my only invitation it was a cocktail party on an early season Alaska cruise & only my 2nd cruise as an elite yet I was #7 and someone I met during the cruise was #3 with only 260 days. This being my only experience & having a cocktail party when there weren't a lot of high time repeat passengers, I wonder if that had anything to do with the decision about the type of most traveled event?

I'm not saying that it is a factor but just trying to figure out how they decide whether it's a cocktail party or lunch. :confused:

Do you think any of the decision could be based on the number of days those invited to the most traveled event have sailed? Could a lower number of days result in a cocktail party which I would think is less expensive than the lunch?

I don't think the decision is made on how well traveled the group is. For example - there were only (about) 60 Elite cruisers on my 2 Alaskan cruises in May and we had a Cocktail party. I was told the Captain we had liked lunches. Though, he may not like them too much as he switches off every other week with the Staff Captain. I have sailed with this Captain on other cruises and he had lunches on those sailings also (Coastal and Mexico).

On the other hand, I had Capt Calabrase for 2 Alaskan cruises a few years ago and we had cocktail parties. We then did a Canada NE with him 4 months later and he also did a cocktail party. I am guessing he prefers cocktail parties.

I don't think the decision is made on how well traveled the group is. For example - there were only (about) 60 Elite cruisers on my 2 Alaskan cruises in May and we had a Cocktail party. I was told the Captain we had liked lunches. Though, he may not like them too much as he switches off every other week with the Staff Captain. I have sailed with this Captain on other cruises and he had lunches on those sailings also (Coastal and Mexico).

On the other hand, I had Capt Calabrase for 2 Alaskan cruises a few years ago and we had cocktail parties. We then did a Canada NE with him 4 months later and he also did a cocktail party. I am guessing he prefers cocktail parties.

Thanks for sharing your experiences & since it was Captain Calabrese for my only invitation which was a cocktail party that's another indication that it is the captain's decision.

Thanks for sharing your insights & since it was Captain Calabrese for my only invitation which was a cocktail party that's another indication that it is the captain's decision.

I meant to say that we had a lunch in my sentence. Sorry.

I don't think the decision is made on how well traveled the group is. For example - there were only (about) 60 Elite cruisers on my 2 Alaskan cruises in May and we had a LUNCH.

Captain Lubrano will apparently be replacing Captain Calabrese some time before our cruise departing on September 1. I'm sure we won't make the cut but perhaps someone will post then to see if there are changes with Captain Lubrano.

I have never heard of Captain Lubrano. New Captain?

The weird thing is that I have been to some fabulous cocktail parties and have been to some that are real duds (some had fabulous food spread and others had zilch). If done well, the cocktail parties can be better then lunches. The best cocktail party I have been to was on the Dawn Princess in the Ward room. It was very impressive.

Archived