Voluntour Excursions

pinkmaija

With there being a lot of poverty in some of the ports visited on cruises, would anyone else be interested in "Voluntourism" excursions?? I know I'd love to do something where I felt like I got to make a difference, even while on my luxurious cruise....

With there being a lot of poverty in some of the ports visited on cruises, would anyone else be interested in "Voluntourism" excursions?? I know I'd love to do something where I felt like I got to make a difference, even while on my luxurious cruise....

My favorite excursions are the ones that we can give back a little. Maybe a giving heart comes with the "pink":)

There is one in Progresso, offered by an outside company, perhaps Island Marketing, but honestly I don't recall. The excursion takes you to a school, and most go armed with loads of school supplies. They spend some time with the students, and also visit other parts of town.

We had friends who took school supplies and candy to Belize, and a cab driver took them to various locations to hand them out.

I used to work as a Flight Attendant, and when laying over in these port cities, the children would often come up to us asking for shoes, then would trace their feet onto paper so we could determine their sizes. They also LOVED chocolate! So on our next flight, we would bring their shoes and candy, and whatever else we saw fitting. These kids we saw truly had nothing...and would cry in appreciation at their gifts.

So whether on an actual excursion or not, it's not difficult at all to find those in need. The poverty in those areas is truly heartbreaking.

Archived