Summit or Explorer

DavyB

Acquaintances of mine from Baltimore are looking to book a cruise for the summer of 2013. They don't want to fly and are debating between the Celebrity Summit and the Explorer of the Seas, both out of New Jersey. Ages are 72, 67, 45, 45, 44, 19, 13, and 6.

I love both lines for different reasons but suggested the Explorer of the Seas because I feel that Royal Caribbean if more family friendly line. However, they liked the prices of the Celebrity Summit as well as the drink packages of Celebrity.

Does anyone have an opinion on way or another?

Thanks,

David

We just returned from the Explorer. Unless they make some drastic changes in the entertainment - I just can't recommend this ship. The shows were horrible. I'm not picky at all - but these shows were the worst we've seen(general concensus of everyone we talked to). However, there was one show with 2 really great comedians. There were very few activities - again we are not picky. On most cruises, we have to choose what things look interesting for the day. We were lucky to find one activity per day that we wanted to participate in.

You may want to check since the Explorer may only be a 5 day cruise where the Summit is a 7 day cruise. I was looking at these sailings for this year and the prices for both were close despite the 2 extra days on Summit.

I think I'll stray from the norm here. I vote for the Explorer. I typically sail with my own family and my senior parents. We cover a variety of ages from 3mos to 75yrs. I've sailed the Summit twice and even though I haven't sailed the Explorer, I have sailed two of its sister ships-the Adventure and the Mariner. I enjoyed all of the cruises but the Voyager class ships get the nod for the variety of activity.

I think I'll stray from the norm here. I vote for the Explorer. I typically sail with my own family and my senior parents. We cover a variety of ages from 3mos to 75yrs. I've sailed the Summit twice and even though I haven't sailed the Explorer, I have sailed two of its sister ships-the Adventure and the Mariner. I enjoyed all of the cruises but the Voyager class ships get the nod for the variety of activity.

This was my thinking as well. I have to tell ya that I was surprised when everyone chose a Celebrity ship over a Royal Caribbean for a family. I love both lines but for different reasons, Celebrity for its service and it's food, and Royal Caribbean for its activities.

Thanks again guys and happy cruising.:D

Archived