Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about #2

Room7

I heard someone say once to bring a roll of packing tape to tape up the $15 laundry bag, tape the bag for extra support so it doesn't rip on you and you can get more in the bag.

I have never ripped the bag and I fill it to the brim....my big secret is to keep everything flat and roll it gently on the corners(clothes) to fit into the bag. It's a two person job to pull the bag over the clothes. I have saved over $150 according to the listing for each individual item.

The best tip I learned from the past thread was to go to the spa to take a shower. They are much bigger and some boats have rain shower heads, some have 5 shower heads and it is sooo much nicer than in the stateroom. Every cruise I go to the spa for a nice hot, comfortable shower. :)

You just go and ask to use their showers? And this is free??? :D

1. Post-it note pads. Use for the cabin attendant as well as to inform your co-inhabitant of your whereabouts. Can also use on a friend's door or even to create a party with people you've met "Party at XX Bar on deck 5 at 10pm" and stick them on all the doors of those you've met or know.

2. Bungee or strap to hold open balcony door. KEEP IN MIND, if you have balcony open and then open cabin door to hallway, a massive wind tunnel is created...stuff blows all over.

3. If you're in an interior cabin, they are PITCH BLACK DARK when the lights are out. Buy a cheap LED touch light to put on side table, so when you wake up, you just tap the light and it lights up cabin.

4. Yes, bring your own coffee/drink mug to use throughout the day, as the supplied ones are smallish. You can wash in cabin sink.

5. Tip attendant on day one, they'll remember you more and go the extra mile.

6. If you bring a small cooler for your carry on water and sodas, ask to have it iced on every service, they'll do it. It'll always be iced for you.

7. Spa treatments are discounted on port days. So if you don't feel like going to that port, again, don't. Make a spa day of it.

8. When you board, your first stop should be the main dining, find your table and if it's not to your liking or request (size, placement), go right to the maitre' d and request a change. Do not wait til later, it's first come first served. Do right away if it's important to you.

9. While your papers may say noon boarding, you can usually beat the rush and get on about 10:30-11am, but keep in mind, your luggage, since first in will likely be last out...bottom of the stack

10. Photocopy your flight itinerary and put in luggage on top as well as your cabin location on ship. Tags get torn and lost. That information can save your bags from being lost. Same for your return home. Always put airline, flt#, name and hotel/home address in your bag so if misdirected (lost), the airline knows where to send it.

11. I read earlier about whether to carry your passport or not, I do not recommend carrying your physical passport, but I do recommend you carry a photocopy of it. It's not the same, but it can get you out of a pinch at a local consulate/embassy much easier.

12. Buy all your on-board stuff late in cruise, it's cheaper

13. If you smoke, buy all the cigarettes you want in other ports or onboard, tax and duty-free, much cheaper. People always fear the customs people on this stuff, but the snifing dogs are not sniffing for cigarettes, they're sniffing for drugs. People pack cigarettes and over the week, their clothes smell like smoke in their bags. So don't sweat it. They're not looking for cigarettes, and worst case scenario in the event they find your "smuggled" cigarettes, you pay the tax...no biggie. They're not going to arrest you. Same goes for cigars. Do you think a dog can tell between a dominican cigar over a cuban cigar? They scare you, because that's their job, but use common sense. It's tobacco, not pot or heroin...that's the stuff dogs look for.

I always bring zip lock bags with us. Hubby luvs his fruit so we fill up the bags and bring them back to the cabin so that he has a snack whenever he wants it. I load up on those mini cheese danish at breakfast and have them late at night with my tea. luv sitting out on deck with a nice hot cup of tea and my mini danish. :cool::cool::cool:

I also bring a roll of quarters and a few detergent pods just in case I decide to do a load or two of laundry. I do it on a port day as soon as the laundry opens and when the ship is quiet and it helps to cut down on the luggage. The pods are easier than bringing a bottle of detergent.

Alas I always brought along ziplock bags but this time I found out there is not a fridge in the cabins except for the suites (Imagination) it is a wonderful thing to bring aboard especially for chocolate treats. I will still bring a couple for those chocolate chip cookies:)

Here are a couple of things I have learned that I find very useful. Some of them are not Carnival Specific:

1. For people with AT&T cell phones and unlimited texting: ALL incoming texts (picture and video included) are free anywhere in the world including on the cruise ship. I've had several people tell me this was not correct, but in fact it is. Outgoing is 50 cents for regular texts and $1.30 for picture and video. This is a great cheap way to communicate with family and friends while on the ship. From AT&T in regards to text messages received while roaming internationally (anywhere in the world including cruise ships): "Text, picture or video messages received while roaming are charged at domestic pay-per-use rates or deducted from your domestic messaging package."

2. Continuing with #1, at least for AT&T make sure to purchase an international data package if you plan to email and Facebook while in port at foreign countries. I'm addicted to Facebook and Email (at least I admit it!) :) and I plan accordingly. 120 megs is $30 and is plenty of data to upload photos and check email.

3. Go to the bank before you leave and get some $2 bills for room service tipping. In my opinion $2 is perfect for a room service tip and the room service stewards seem to like getting them. It's a common misconception that you can not get these anymore.

Excellent thanks for the ATT tips. As for the $2 bills, I thought it was a nice touch, it was a nice sentiment and should be recognized as such.

As for the TP tip, I always carry those small packs of Kleenix, cause some places do really dole out the TP.

I can hear my DM now "you should have packed some TP." Well some tips in addition to TP are

1.Handiwipes

2. Toilet seat covers. For when hovering just won't do

Would you please explain this to me. I thought the packing tape was just to tape it shut at the top! What do you tape? The whole bag? Just around the bottom? Thanks.

I tape the WHOLE bag to reinforce it. Then after it's filled, I also tape the top shut. I do the roll/flatten thing that everyone thinks of for this, but have the added advantage of a "stronger" bag.

I like this idea too. Doesnt guarnatee you will get your camera back but it cant hurt!

I just take a picture of my name and email addie. If someone is honest enough to try and get it back they'll try to contact me through email. I don't like giving out anymore information than I have to. In this day and age you don't know who you can trust.

Thanks for posting this, Lisa!!!

My NEW, MOST FAVORITE-EST TIP YET!!! :D

If everybody starts ordering them, they may discontinue offering them, so I will make sure to take full advantage of it on our cruise on the GLORY next week!

Banana Splits are a favorite of mine and I have been known to make my own in the evening with bananas from the breakfast bar and soft serve late at night. This will save me the trouble! HAHA!

Our middle son took the 24 hour a day ice cream thing literally, so we compromised - when he wanted it for breakfast we told him he could if he got the frozen yogurt and put bananas in it! ;) BTW, he loved the banana split!

Wait until towards the end of the cruise to do massages and such in the spa. They have them discounted big time compared to the beginning of the cruise.

Also, wait until the last day or so of the cruise to buy T-Shirts and such as souvenirs (or for yourself) as these are also discounted!

I learned the hard way, buying that stuff in the beginning of the cruise and being disappointed when I could have gotten the same stuff for much cheaper if I had waited til the end of the cruise.

You do know that if you bring them the receipt they will price match for you right?

They also do this for cigarettes - if you find them cheaper in port all you do is take a picture of the add and where you saw it and take it to the fun shops. They will credit the difference to your sign and sail card.

As for the TP tip, I always carry those small packs of Kleenix, cause some places do really dole out the TP.

I can hear my DM now "you should have packed some TP." Well some tips in addition to TP are

1.Handiwipes

2. Toilet seat covers. For when hovering just won't do

Those Cottonelle wipes work well too. I always try to carry a pack or two with me. My mom, sister and I were a little too adventurous in Mexico renting a car and driving to Tulum ourselves. We ended up having to pay $0.25 to use the "bathroom" and upon opening the door..........it was just a hole in the ground! :eek: Thank goodness for the cottonelle wipes ;):D

You do know that if you bring them the receipt they will price match for you right?

They also do this for cigarettes - if you find them cheaper in port all you do is take a picture of the add and where you saw it and take it to the fun shops. They will credit the difference to your sign and sail card.

The receipt for the difference is a good tip. I usually shop on board the last day but now if I decide to shop earlier I will keep the reciept for the credit difference in mind should I find something I purchased is now on sale.

Great Tips, here are a few I would add

1~ Don't forget to take a group picture!!! We forgot, 16 of us from a few different states, probably won't get together again. :(

2~ Scan copies of your passports, trip itinerary, booking numbers etc and leave them with someone at home. That way, should everything get lost etc, someone at home can fax you info.

3~ For fun, bring some "Where's George" bills. My son finds a lot of them since he works at a gas station, he buys them from the til and we enter them in saying we will spend them on our cruise to ------ in the month of -------. Hopefully when someone comes across it and checks the history, they will enjoy the journey the bill has taken. If I get time, I may get a stack of bills and stamp and enter some new Where's George bills. Anyone who is interested it's at www wheres George dot com. Hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting that.

4~ pack some of each person's clothes in different suitcases in case one suitcase gets lost. Never had it happen, but I don't want to be without.

Happy Cruising

It's a common misconception that anyone likes getting a weird barely in circulation denomination. :D

Seriously, don't waste your time. Just tip with regular $1 bills.

Some previous discussions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=459772

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1265737

I agree. Skip the $2 bills. I don't know when was the last time I saw one. And I definitely wouldn't go to a bank and ask for a stack of them to use for tips. Use $1 bills and skip trying to be clever and unique. These folks work for money they can easily spend, not novelty items.

This is really more of a planning tip than anything, but I make bookmarks on my computer for all the ports I'm visiting. For anyone else with a Mac, I'll go to the Bookmarks Bar (the gray area at the top where it says Apple, Yahoo, etc.), and I'll make one called "Cruise". Then I'll make subcategories of all the ports, (Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios) and add in bookmarks I find into each place, respectively.

l go on the tourism websites, and google other info about each place. Whenever I find a place that's interesting I bookmark it under that port. Shops, restaurants, tour operators, other interesting places to see, etc. It's really helped me keep things organized, and also helps if I stumble upon something interesting I won't forget about it all those months later when it's cruise time.

I do the exact same thing...I have folders set up in my favorites tab with all of our cruises. The night before the cruise, I print out all of the pertinent information so I am ready once we dock in each port:)

We take a can of scented lysol and spray all appropriate surfaces when first entering the room. Not germaphobic at all, just dont want to take any chances while on a cruise.

We do the exact same thing. I enter the room, my spouse stays in the hall with the luggage, and give it a good spraying. Then I take pictures of the cabin to post on Cruise Line Rooms .com and then we unpack and start our vacation:)

Not really a secret...but you do not have to give your luggage to the porters when embarking. You can bring your own luggage on board. We tend to arrive later to the port to avoid the crowds...once we get there and check in, we head directly to our clean cabin, unpack and start our vacation. By doing this, our luggage will never be lost and we will not have to wait several hours for our luggage to arrive to our cabin:)

I tape the WHOLE bag to reinforce it. Then after it's filled, I also tape the top shut. I do the roll/flatten thing that everyone thinks of for this, but have the added advantage of a "stronger" bag.

Thank you SO much for responding (and good timing too as we are leaving today!). I"ll go grab my tape now!!

I don’t drink soda and am not a fan of sweet fruit drinks!

I am a Southern Girl and I love my fresh brewed TEA!

I despise the instant tea that they serve on the ship so I make my own.

The ship provides single serve Lipton tea bags and several brands of sweetener. I bring my own cup from home to use ( so I can make a large glass ). I fill it up with ice ( with a clean cup ). I then get a coffee cup fill it up with hot water and put a few tea bags in it……let it set for a few minutes then poor it over my ice, add water if needed to make it the strength that you like.

Fresh brewed tea!

I agree. Skip the $2 bills. I don't know when was the last time I saw one. And I definitely wouldn't go to a bank and ask for a stack of them to use for tips. Use $1 bills and skip trying to be clever and unique. These folks work for money they can easily spend, not novelty items.

Side note, As crazy as it is, we have had a hard time spending them here in the states. Can't tell you how many times a cashier has to ask her manager if they take them. My son likes to ask the bank for them just for his own fun, not to bring along. :D One guy at a gas station tried to tell him they are very rare and he shouldn't spend it. He told the guy he wanted to spend it and the guy bought it from his till as soon as we gave it to him. Money collecting is great fun. And it's always at least worth face value.

YOu can bring a bottle of wine per person upon embarkation... It's nice to have if you want to sit on your balcony and relax :)

It's been around 4 years since my last cruise so I wasn't sure if this was still possible. Do you pack them or just carry them on? Can I also bring some soda and water in a cooler? Just want to make sure none of the rules have changed Thanks for the info :)

Edited by Theresa522

It's been around 4 years since my last cruise so I wasn't sure if this was still possible. Do you pack them or just carry them on? Can I also bring some soda and water in a cooler? Just want to make sure none of the rules have changed Thanks for the info :)

You carry on your wine. I am not sure about the cooler since we just bring a case of water and we do not drink soda. Many posters report the water is fine on the ship but I have a "brand" of water I like and since I drink it to take medication I stick with what makes me happy.