Adventurous Mom/Son First Time on Island.....

vital1

Good Morning! I (female) will be on Grand Cayman for the first time in Nov. with my teenage son (13). We like a good adventure, away from the crowds, but since it's just us it needs to be relatively safe. I'd love to snorkel away fom crowds and don't mind renting a car as long as the roads are easy to navigate. I spent 10 days on St. John so driving on the left and switchbacks are not a problem. Is renting a car a good idea? How far from the tender drop off point is car rental place? I'll take all of the advice I can get!

Drive on left. Yes.

Switchbacks No.

Cayman is flat.... Mt Trashmore, the garbage heap at the dump, is now the highest point on the island. :eek:

Roads are mostly paved and generally well maintained. There are very few traffic lights, with roundabouts being the favoured traffic control for major intersections.

Closest car rental company to the pier is Cayman Auto Rentals. Many other agencies are near the airport and will arrange to pick you up near the pier.

Thank you both! Since it's our first time, would it be just as good to go to Cemetery Beach? I REALLY hate this question, but is it safe to be just us 2 there? What about leaving our things on the beach while we are both in the water? I read something about a mugging on a beach last year, but that's really the only crime I've read about except bank robberies. I always get a good feel for somewhere after I've been there in person. I'm not naive as I live in a high crime city and frequent New Orleans:).

Thanks again!

Went to Cemetery Beach last time we were in Grand Cayman. Took the public bus there. It was just me, my son and my friend when we got there. Left our things on the beach...snorkeled, swam, relaxed. You could always get a little swim safe to keep money, ID in. It is beautiful and a good reef about 200 yards out. When we were getting ready to head back, one other couple had showed up. We walked back out to the road and caught the bus back into town.

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

You won't be THAT far from your spot on the beach that you can't keep an eye on your things....GC's beaches are narrow....you're steps from the water. Just don't bring more than you need....$75 should be plenty for chair rentals, bus fare and lunch. If you do rent a car, lock any valuables in the car!

I have walked around alone (female) and felt perfectly fine here. The city bus (minivans) are an easy way to get around.

Leaving anything on the beach or anywhere is taking a risk, even in the safest of places. it only takes one time.

If you leave things behind on the beach, make sure you can replace them.

I personally do this....

I purchased a watertight case at wal mart for about $8 or so. Inside goes my ID, s&s, phone and $'s and good camera that is not waterproof. I then carry one of those little drawstring back packs. the smallest thinnest one I can find. Then I place my waterproof box inside it and swim and do not worry about anything being stolen but the cruise line towels lol. which i usually don't take anyways. i usually bring my own beach blanket.

My box has a strap on it, but i don't have anywhere to attach it, but your son may have something to attach it on his shorts, and no need for the back pack.

i have snorkeled, waterfall rappelled, white water rafted, played on water trampoline/toys and floated on tubes down the river etc. using this method. That way my things stay with me at all times and my hands are free for swimming, photos etc. No worries.

Thinking about doing Moby Dick then hitting the beach. How far is Cemetary Beach from the pier area? Y'all are awesome!

I think I remember Cemetery Beach being about a 5-10 minute ride from downtown. It is at the far end of 7 Mile Beach. The bus depo is next to the library across from Hero's Square fountain - about two blocks inland on Edward Street. It is about a 5 minute walk from the dock to there. The buses are actually vans - the one you would want would have a round sign in the front with WB on it and either 1 or 2, I believe. It is $2.50 per person each way. Just tell the driver you want to go to Cemetery Beach, they will drop you on the street in front of the cemetery. There is a little path to one side of it leading to the beach. When you are ready to come back, walk out to the road and wait for a bus coming by - just flag it down and they will take you back into town.

Wow! You make it sound so easy I might just skip Moby Dick and spend the day at the beach! A lot cheaper too:)

It was fairly easy. Remember there are no facilities at Cemetery Beach. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Here are a couple maps that might help you:

Georgetownmap.jpg

This one shows you downtown Georgetown and you can see the library and bus area at the back on Edwards Street.

7milebeach.jpg

This one shows you going up towards West Bay along 7 Mile Beach. At the far left you can see Foster's Food. Cemetery Beach is just beyond that.

The buses run about every 15 minutes or so. I think there was a little bench/shelter on the opposite side of the road from the cemetery where we went and waited for a bus to take us back into town.

Below is why it is "Cemetery Beach" This is the cemetery you walk along side of to get to the beach. The hedge on the left-hand side borders the pathway from the road to the beach

IMG_0772.jpg

Have a great time whatever you decide to do!

Great maps there!

Tiny clarification - Cemetery Beach is between the Fosters Food Fair and the Silver Sands Condos and right across the street from the Fire Station. Don't panic if you haven't seen the grocery yet when the bus driver drops you off.

Other note... There is now an additional tender pier, the Royal Watler Terminal, at the intersection of Harbour Drive and Fort Street.

Great maps there!

Tiny clarification - Cemetery Beach is between the Fosters Food Fair and the Silver Sands Condos and right across the street from the Fire Station. Don't panic if you haven't seen the grocery yet when the bus driver drops you off.

Other note... There is now an additional tender pier, the Royal Watler Terminal, at the intersection of Harbour Drive and Fort Street.

Thanks for the correction. Been a couple years since we did this. Looking forward to going back in October. Good to know about the new tender pier.

Wow! Thank you so much! We are going here for sure! I'd rather go to places without facilities because that usually means less people! That's how I found my favorite place on Earth so far, Francis Bay on St John. Is there a store where I can get ice and beer:), soda and water? I have a backpack cooler I used all over St John and love it!

Great maps there!

Do you know if they sell Cayman Fire Dept shirts at the fire station? My boyfriend is a firefighter and I'd love to get one for him.

Wow! Thank you so much! We are going here for sure! I'd rather go to places without facilities because that usually means less people! That's how I found my favorite place on Earth so far, Francis Bay on St John. Is there a store where I can get ice and beer:), soda and water? I have a backpack cooler I used all over St John and love it!

You could probably find these at the Fosters Food Fair on up the road from Cemetery Beach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

... Is there a store where I can get ice and beer:), soda and water? I have a backpack cooler I used all over St John and love it!

Hmmm... grocery stores cannot sell beer or wine, only liquor stores. Can't remember any within short walking distance of Cemetery Beach. Soda, ice and water can easily be had at Fosters, of course.

Do you know if they sell Cayman Fire Dept shirts at the fire station? My boyfriend is a firefighter and I'd love to get one for him.

Never heard of such. He might get a friendly reception if he stops by but I am not aware of them selling t-shirts, patches, or anything really.

I'll just stay beer free until we get back to an area that has it. Unfortunately my BF won't be with us. I'll take some pics for him.

So, after we snorkel and hang on the beach, where is Señor Frogs located? My son has been to the ones in San Juan, Nassau and Cozumel several times so I'm sure he'd like to visit a new one. He likes his yard long virgin Piña Colada and balloon hats as well as the people watching:D. If y'all have any other suggestions for a fun place like that please chime in. We don't necessarily have to go there.

Once again, thank you very much for all the answers. It has helped me more than you know! If you need any questions answered about St John or New Orleans, I can help you out.:p

Unfortunately, Señor Frogs closed a while ago. In that genre, there's a Hard Rock Cafe and a Margaritaville in the downtown area within a short walk from the pier.

Oh well, he'll never know the difference:cool:; may try Maragritaville. I've seen people mentioning Calico Jacks. Is that a restaurant? I've been tring to read all I can on the net, but I can't find a site that lists the restaurants, stores, or any local maps. If a site like that exists, please let me know so I can check it out.

Thanks again!

Calico Jacks is adjacent to the Seven Mile Beach Public Beach.

The Cayman Good Taste website has a lot of information about restaurants including some maps.

Thank you so much! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I like being able to see how far things are and names of roads to get my bearings. Thank you so much! If I saw you around, I'd buy you 2 drinks:).

Have you ever eaten at Chiken! Chiken! or Dukes Seafood and Rib Shack? If so, which one is better? I like spicy food, but not so hot you can't taste it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived