Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport

tflint

Thinking about staying here for one night pre-cruise because I can use Starwood points to stay for free? Anybody have any experience with this hotel? Sounds like a free shuttle from the airport and then a $10/person shuttle to the port, does that sound right?

Also, we will be getting in early in the afternoon and don't want to spend all night at the hotel. I am assuming because it is an airport hotel there won't be much in the way of shopping/restaurants within wallking distance. Where can we take a cab to kill a few hours shopping/eating in the late afternoon/evening? And how much will this cab ride cost?

Thanks for the help.

A cab ride to the port should cost no more than $20 per cab but without the waiting time and without having to stop at different ships, so I would suggest that.

There is nothing around the hotel. You can take a taxi to Las Olas Blvd for about $25 (ask for a dropoff near the Riverside Hotel). This is a nice area with restaurants, boutiques, and galleries. in most of the restaurants the dress code is resort casual. You can take a taxi to Oakwood Plaza for less than $10. It is the closest big shopping center and they have discount stores like Ross, Marshalls and Kmart, as well as casual chain restaurants. The best place to eat there is Hollywood Ale House.

The hotel has a very nice pool area. Nothing near by but they do have dining, and it is pricey. They do have menus at the front esk from venues that deliver to the hotel. Pizza, etc. :)

It would be feasible to walk to Bass Pro Shops/Outdoor World from this hotel. It is a large store that you could spend an hour browsing in. There is also a restaurant there called Islamorada Fish Company. Their food is decent (the grilled chicken sandwich is pretty darn good and the blackened chicken pasta is tasty). You probably couldn't spend more than 2 1/2 to 3 hours here between the restaurant and the store, but at least it would be something to do within walking distance. I would only walk there during daylight hours, though. As long as you're back to your hotel by 8:45P(during daylight savings time, that is) you'd be okay. The area is safe (that is, not known for crime), but there are no businesses in the area that are open after dark and not much else around there, so there will be very few pedestrians especially after dark. As, I said, the area is safe, but it is usually never prudent to walk in a deserted area after nightfall.

I have stayed there multiple times with Starpoints. It's a good hotel with a free airport shuttle. They always gave me a nice corner room even though my Starwood status is low.

Not much worth walking to nearby. Restaurant is not bad but pricey. They had a strange policy of not letting taxis pick up passengers at the hotel (drop offs are OK). They will shuttle you to the pier (it was $9 pp but I'm sure that's gone up). It was very convienent and quick.

Can't beat it if you have Starpoint available. Sometimes they have cash and points which I like.

Lou

I have stayed there multiple times with Starpoints. It's a good hotel with a free airport shuttle. They always gave me a nice corner room even though my Starwood status is low.

Not much worth walking to nearby. Restaurant is not bad but pricey. They had a strange policy of not letting taxis pick up passengers at the hotel (drop offs are OK). They will shuttle you to the pier (it was $9 pp but I'm sure that's gone up). It was very convienent and quick.

Can't beat it if you have Starpoint available. Sometimes they have cash and points which I like.

Lou

That taxi policy is very strange and unusual. I'm sure it isn't a city law because the hotel is on private property set off the main road. If someone wants to take a taxi somewhere, I guess you have to meet them next door at the Design Center.

Archived