Vancouver Advice Please

Normal 1

Greetings to all the wonderful Vancouver regulars who post such wonderful recommendations. Seeking some advice... We are cruising September 2013 (b2b on 9/3 and 9/10 Carnival). Debarking in Vancouver on 9/17 (first time to Vancouver).

For Hotel I'm thinking Blue Horizon. Things that interest us are Aquarium (must see!!!), Capilano Suspension Bridge, Stanley Park. Will most likely book flight home on the 19th (from VYR). We will plan to use taxis and public transportation. Maybe rent bikes for Stanley Park.

• Is 2 days enough time to see the 3 attractions I have noted?
  • Are there other 'do not miss' attractions we should aim for?
  • I see on the Capilano site they have a free shuttle from the Blue Horizon but you must make your own way back....Is this easy?
  • Are there any notable 'food tours'? Or other such recommendations? DH is a 'foodie' and loves watching Food Network!!

Don't want to cram too much in coming off 2 weeks of cruising but would like to maximize potential. Could easily extend if needed. I need to have all the details worked out (for presentation to DH for his approval :D). Want to be able to book airfare/hotel on a moment's notice if I see 'good' rates!!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

As the Aquarium is in Stanley Park you could make that the focus of the better part of one day and renting bikes and doing the Park - which is mostly flat is quite a popular choice - all you have to do is see the number of bikes being rented at the rental shops near the Park entrance to know of it's popularity.

I do find it strange that the Cap bridge shuttle is only one way but if that is the case it is pretty easy to get back with public transportation - the bus stops right outside the Bridge and will take you to Lonsdale Quay which is worth exploring and then the Sea Bus across to waterfront station. Fare will be $3.50 weekends - less on weekends and for seniors.

The Blue Horizon is an excellent choice and in a good location.

I am no foodie but the area around the hotel teems with eateries of all flavors etc. I will let some of the other locals provide comment on that request.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, 2 days is enough for those attractions - the Aquarium is in Stanley Park so even if you're going to rent bikes and spend a long time cycling around you can easily spare a few hours for the marine exhibits.

Getting back from Capilano (or to it in the first place) is easy by public transit, and there's also a free shuttle that goes to & from Canada Place (which is not far from Blue Horizon). Details of both should be on the Capilano website.

Must-dos? Really depends on what *you* like to do. BCHappyGals big list of things to do is a great starting point to see if something jumps out at you - and since we do have rather changeable weather it's a good idea to have a list of potential indoor activities so if it's truly miserable weather you can still enjoy a full day of sightseeing.

Food Tours - we have a few (the Vancouver Food Tour, Tour Guys offer some beer and food cart tours now, various Tours By Locals guides will do a food themed tour for you). Check tripadvisor for who's doing what well nearer the time you arrive...

You can get the shuttle back from Capilano but I think it only picks up and not drops off at Blue Horizon. I would just take it back to Canada Place and walk from there - not too far and pretty much the same distance if you got the seabus back from North Vancouver! You may also want to check into Lynn Canyon suspensions bridge - it's smaller and free, with some nice walking trails. Also, maybe Grouse Mountain if you are over that side anyways! If you choose to take transit back rather than the shuttle, check out Lonsdale Quay - some great places to eat and pick up food/snacks to take along!

The hotel is wonderful - very reasonable for Vancouver and the rooms are great (call and have them give you a room on the higher floors as they have amazing views and are generally larger).

You have lots of time to plan but other things that people often enjoy in Vancouver are Gastown and Granville Island.

Incidental, the Capilano Suspension Bridge's free shuttle does pick up and drop off at the Blue Horizon.

If the bicycling in Stanley Park dosen't pan out for any reason the Vancouver Trolley does offer a $10, 15 stop shuttle in the park...unfortunatley the service ends on Sept 3rd this year but it may worthwhile checking back next year.

Thanks all. Knew I could count on you. Have already gotten a lot of ideas from all the research I've done here.

I did locate a food tour that covers 10 places in the Gastown area. We'll likely plan to do that the day we debark.

You've given me some good ideas..... now back to research mode.

It does seem I have plenty of time but need to have a good handle on what we plan to do so I can book airfare as soon as I see a good price.

Thanks again. Love that I can use these forums to get lots of information.

Archived