Just off Freedom

Nice pictures, Peggy! I'm booked on FOS later this year so I'm interested in your pictures of the ship especially. How about inside your cabin and the view from your balcony, the Royal Promenade, pool decks, lounges, view from the helipad, the Windjammer, the theater, rock wall, sports deck, Chops, the ice show, etc. I know those of us who plan to sail FOS have probably already seen loads of pics, but personally, I can't get enough. Oh, though I'm on the other itinerary, I'm sure some would like to see pics from your time ashore too.

Can you tell me about Shutterfly? Is that what you are uploading your pics to? Is it a free host site? I ask because I want to include pictures like you are (after my cruise) and all I have been able to do in the past are the thumbnails, those really lose something. Yours are coming out really nice.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, I'll be watching for your review.

OK I will start with a few - but have to finish up later tonight after work. This is inside cabin 7644 - on the hump.

ry%3D400

Our balcony view from 7644. My daughter had 7642 and we were able to open up the divider between the balconies.

ry%3D400

Peggy13, GF and I have thhe same cabin u did for the 9/9 cruise. How large is the balcony.

Joel

Which cabin - we had 3 - 7644, 7642 (dead center hump) and 7708 - corner AFT?

Nice pictures, Peggy! I'm booked on FOS later this year so I'm interested in your pictures of the ship especially. How about inside your cabin and the view from your balcony, the Royal Promenade, pool decks, lounges, view from the helipad, the Windjammer, the theater, rock wall, sports deck, Chops, the ice show, etc. I know those of us who plan to sail FOS have probably already seen loads of pics, but personally, I can't get enough. Oh, though I'm on the other itinerary, I'm sure some would like to see pics from your time ashore too.

Can you tell me about Shutterfly? Is that what you are uploading your pics to? Is it a free host site? I ask because I want to include pictures like you are (after my cruise) and all I have been able to do in the past are the thumbnails, those really lose something. Yours are coming out really nice.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, I'll be watching for your review.

Shutterfly took over Kodak Gallery - which just closed. Its free (so far) - Kodak Gallery was free as long as you made a certain amount of photo purchases throughout the year.

My wife and I were on the same cruise. I have tons of pictures also and will start uploading and posting this weekend. I finished my review and it is posted at (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=105319).

The brief review is:

This was the best vacation experience we have ever had. There were a few glitches, but nothing major and the staff worked hard to make even the slightest problems right. Great ship, great crew, excellent itinerary.

Read the review and if you have questions, let me know. If Peggy doesn't mind, I will post pictures and comments to this thread as well.

cyclenut - thanks for taking the time, great review! Very well balanced between info and opinion, both appreciated. I have noticed a lot of people saying they preferred the Windjammer to the MDR, who would have thought?! I'm interested to see what our thoughts will be on this. Great to hear the ship is still in great condition and that the staff (CD, especially) make for a pleasant and memorable vacation. We're really looking forward to our upcoming sailing, thanks in a big way to reviews by fellow cruisers.

P.S. Happy Anniversary! Congrats.

My wife and I were on the same cruise. I have tons of pictures also and will start uploading and posting this weekend. I finished my review and it is posted at (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=105319).

The brief review is:

This was the best vacation experience we have ever had. There were a few glitches, but nothing major and the staff worked hard to make even the slightest problems right. Great ship, great crew, excellent itinerary.

Read the review and if you have questions, let me know. If Peggy doesn't mind, I will post pictures and comments to this thread as well.

Very good review - I posted in that section, but it hasn't shown up yet. I would also like to see your pics.

Very good review - I posted in that section, but it hasn't shown up yet. I would also like to see your pics.

I just noticed your MDR table. Were you are first or second seating? I ask because we were at table 309, which was right next to this one. I also liked the location.

cyclenut - thanks for taking the time, great review! Very well balanced between info and opinion, both appreciated. I have noticed a lot of people saying they preferred the Windjammer to the MDR, who would have thought?! I'm interested to see what our thoughts will be on this. Great to hear the ship is still in great condition and that the staff (CD, especially) make for a pleasant and memorable vacation. We're really looking forward to our upcoming sailing, thanks in a big way to reviews by fellow cruisers.

P.S. Happy Anniversary! Congrats.

Thanks for your kind comments and wishes. I hope it helps. I read reviews before I choose my vacation so I like to return the favor by writing one when I am done.

I think our preference for the Windjammer is a real testament to how well they do with that area. We were impressed that they had several different serving islands instead of a couple of long serving lines. It made it real easy for us to get the items we wanted without feeling obligated to shuffle through a single long line. Similar in concept to the Home Town Buffet service but it was executed much better. We noticed the quantity of food displayed was kept small, which required frequent refilling with fresh. The only issue that some people had was finding a table for larger groups. If you intend to have a large group try and eat together, the Windjammer may not be your best choice.

Also, we ate there once just as it was closing to prep for the next meal and we were still impressed that the food seemed fresh. That is usually the WORST time to try a buffet, but they pulled that off too.

To be clear though, this is still a buffet. Some people just don't like the idea of having to go fill their own plate with food. You just can't get around that.

I just noticed your MDR table. Were you are first or second seating? I ask because we were at table 309, which was right next to this one. I also liked the location.

We were at 310 - late dining. We loved this table and location.

Thanks for your kind comments and wishes. I hope it helps. I read reviews before I choose my vacation so I like to return the favor by writing one when I am done.

I think our preference for the Windjammer is a real testament to how well they do with that area. We were impressed that they had several different serving islands instead of a couple of long serving lines. It made it real easy for us to get the items we wanted without feeling obligated to shuffle through a single long line. Similar in concept to the Home Town Buffet service but it was executed much better. We noticed the quantity of food displayed was kept small, which required frequent refilling with fresh. The only issue that some people had was finding a table for larger groups. If you intend to have a large group try and eat together, the Windjammer may not be your best choice.

Also, we ate there once just as it was closing to prep for the next meal and we were still impressed that the food seemed fresh. That is usually the WORST time to try a buffet, but they pulled that off too.

To be clear though, this is still a buffet. Some people just don't like the idea of having to go fill their own plate with food. You just can't get around that.

We liked the Windjammer too - for breakfast and lunch. We did try breakfast once in the MDR, but they also had a buffet you could do. Only problem is getting a table for a bigger group, but our group all did their own thing, so it was usually just my husband and myself. I liked the breakfast in Windjammer better. We did love the MDR for dinner - we went there every night, except our one night in Chops - which was delicious!

We were at 310 - late dining. We loved this table and location.

Ok ... That is just too funny. We had to have seen each other because we were sitting right there next to you at late dining. We skipped two nights. Once for chops and once for Johnny Rockets.

cyclenut -- also really nice pictures! What kind of camera are you using? I am determined to learn how to use my camera properly before my next sailing, really impressed by your last set of low-light shots.

Peggy -- your review will likely show up in a few days.

cyclenut -- also really nice pictures! What kind of camera are you using? I am determined to learn how to use my camera properly before my next sailing, really impressed by your last set of low-light shots.

Peggy -- your review will likely show up in a few days.

The camera question is interesting. The underwater pictures were with a Nikon AW100 that I bought on board the ship for $300 after my $200 Pentax waterproof failed in Labadee. I also used that camera for the grotto picture and most other on shore photos. For the grotto, I sat the camera on the wood railing with the flash off and pushed the button and waited. It was a pretty long exposure but came out great. The ice show and the night shot outside were with my Canon T2i I purchased last year from Costco but I used a 50mm 1.4 lens. The camera was set to Tv mode at 400 shutter and AI Servo for focus control. ASA was auto. The rest were with that camera and the standard 18-55 lens that came with the camera. In the theater I used Av mode and auto ASA and hoped for the best. Most everything else was with auto mode but flash off. Hope this helps.

Interesting note. The Nikon is now available at Costco for about $20 cheaper but you have to pay tax. The camera price on the ship was surprisingly reasonable.

Ok ... That is just too funny. We had to have seen each other because we were sitting right there next to you at late dining. We skipped two nights. Once for chops and once for Johnny Rockets.

That is funny - we missed Wed night to go to Chops, but were there every night! Another couple from the M&M were sitting right next to the captain too!

Archived