Dream Western Review with Pic June 23-30, 2012

Remember how I said the hot tubs were really like body temp? This is perfect for lounging in while your five yr old plays her water games. The deal we made with her is that we had to find an empty tub, or one that already had kids in it. I'm conscientious of adults not wanting kids in the hot tubs. It really bugs me when people let their kids just sit in the tubs on the pool deck all day.

Nobody ever walked by looking for a hot tub, so I did not have an opportunity to feel guilty about my kid taking up hot tub real estate.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I'll be on the Dream this September and I'm enjoying your recap/photos.

This paragraphs quoted above really cracked me up though. In one regard, you're stating that you're "conscientious of adults not wanting kids in the hot tubs" and that it bugs you when other parents allow their children to use them. However, that's exactly what you did. If the hot tub is empty and you add your 5-year old to it, it's not longer empty and available for the adults. If there are already kids in it and you add your child to it, that basically equates to a "two wrongs must make it right" mentality. Sounds like you're trying to find reasons to justify allowing your child to play in the hot tub, even though you claim it bothers you when other parents do the same.

And just because nobody stopped and looked at the hot tub, doesn't mean they weren't looking for one. Personally, I would walk right past the hot tub occupied by kids and I probably wouldn't say anything; however, it doesn't mean that I wasn't looking for one at the time.

Lastly, what you might not be considering is that for many of us, the main reason why we don't want to be in a hot tub occupied (or previously occupied) by kids isn't because of the disturbance they create...it's because most young kids pee in the water. They may tell you that they don't, but they do. Hot tubs have a lot less water than large swimming pools, which makes the pee concentration a lot higher. And yes, I know that many adults pee in pools/hot tubs too, but I suspect the percentage of child-contaminators is a lot higher than the adults.

Thanks for your review! we had friends who were on the same cruise...they said the MDR service was not good at all...for the entire week:eek:

We are cruising the Dream in November and I was wondering..how big is the T-pool in the spa? It's hard to tell from the pictures...I've used the thermal type pools on Holland America and loved them...that and the thermal chairs...so may have to check out the Spa on the Dream:):):)

Thanks for reading!

Honestly, I don't know if we were hitting the spa at off times or what, but it always seemed practically empty to us. Only on the last night, was the t-pool a bit crowded - and even then, it wasn't so crowded that it wasn't enjoyable.

I really do enjoy DD, especially because she is my only one. More is just not in the cards, so I am conscientious that I'm not going to get to see another one grow up. I have to temper that with not spoiling her though :rolleyes:. I got the "invitation" idea from someone else on disboards, and was pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Same with us. We used a surrogate to carry our daughter and another one just isn't going to happen. I am afraid I spoil her to much but can't help myself. Lol

I'm really enjoying your review and looking forward to my time on the Dream!

And while I hadn't planned to say anything, I have to back up this poster:

This paragraphs quoted above really cracked me up though. In one regard, you're stating that you're "conscientious of adults not wanting kids in the hot tubs" and that it bugs you when other parents allow their children to use them. However, that's exactly what you did. If the hot tub is empty and you add your 5-year old to it, it's not longer empty and available for the adults. If there are already kids in it and you add your child to it, that basically equates to a "two wrongs must make it right" mentality. Sounds like you're trying to find reasons to justify allowing your child to play in the hot tub, even though you claim it bothers you when other parents do the same.

And just because nobody stopped and looked at the hot tub, doesn't mean they weren't looking for one. Personally, I would walk right past the hot tub occupied by kids and I probably wouldn't say anything; however, it doesn't mean that I wasn't looking for one at the time.

Lastly, what you might not be considering is that for many of us, the main reason why we don't want to be in a hot tub occupied (or previously occupied) by kids isn't because of the disturbance they create...it's because most young kids pee in the water. They may tell you that they don't, but they do. Hot tubs have a lot less water than large swimming pools, which makes the pee concentration a lot higher. And yes, I know that many adults pee in pools/hot tubs too, but I suspect the percentage of child-contaminators is a lot higher than the adults.

And say that I was thinking the same thing. No kids in the hot tubs = no kids in the hot tubs. Any justification on the part of parents (yours, the 8-year-olds, etc.) is just that.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I'll be on the Dream this September and I'm enjoying your recap/photos.

I'm glad you're enjoying my review.

First thing I'll say is that I think you are giving adults WAAAAY too much credit for not peeing in hot tubs (and the pool). Those adults may tell you that they don't...but they do. I was a life guard all through HS and college - trust me, I have observed and considered this issue. You also gotta keep in mind that a 200 lb adult (especially one indulging in lots of alcoholic beverages) makes a lot more pee than a 45 lb kid. If pee in hot tubs bothers you - adults only is not at all safe, sorry! All I can say is that its a good thing urine is sterile.

Anyhow there was plenty of open hot tub space on the Dream that day - I know because we toured the ship looking for a good spot not to intrude on anyone. We passed up multiple tubs that had only a couple of adults (therefore plenty of space for more adults). Dream has more hot tubs than most ships due to the ones on the lanai. If the tubs appeared to be in high demand, we were ready to tell her no.

And when I say "no one ever walked by looking for a tub" I mean that really no one ever walked by at all. The thing you will realize about the Dream once you are on it is that you can't necessarily tell who, or the ages, or the sex of the people in the tubs (at least on the lanai) because of the colored glass that surrounds the tubs. You have to look in a bit. We were prepared to get out and offer our spot if someone popped their head around the glass wall. But seriously, it was before dinner, getting chilly, looking like rain, and no one even walked by the hot tub.

Trust me, in three cruises, this one day for 20 minutes was the only time we have let DD in a hot tub on a ship. On our last cruise, DD saw other kids crowding the tubs on the pool deck and asked more than once to go in and we said no. We told her no other times on this ship. So are we conscientious? Yes. Did we make an exception due to the low demand for hot tub space that afternoon? Yes. Sorry that bothers you (ok, well truthfully no I'm not sorry...but I appreciate your opinion anyway :)).

Awesome review! Your pictures are great and I love your humor too! I can't wait to read the rest.

P.S. Thank your husband for being a firefighter for me please. I have the utmost respect for firefighters and law enforcement. God Bless him!

Thank you!

Of course, I'm right there with you on appreciating our safety forces. My father was a FF as well. Like him, DH loves his job, wouldn't do anything else. He, like most other guys I know, gets uncomfortable with being thanked. Says he is just doing his job. But I see the day in and out service to the public, and the stress that can go with it. I think it is very hard on a person to walk in on the worst day (or even a very stressful day) of someone's life, day in and day out.

Anyhow, thanks for your thanks because deep down I know it does matter to DH when he hears them.

See, it really is different strokes for different folks.

I completely disagree with you and totally agree with OP.

There are hot tubs on the ship in the Serenity area and/or otherwise dedicated to adults, no? Doesn't that then mean that children ARE allowed in the other hot tubs. What OP did do was be try to be kind to people that would have already been in a hot tub that might not enjoy having kids in there.

I do agree with that you said that if I didn't want to be in a hot tub with kids that I would not have made a scene. But, if she had her child in an "adult's only" hot tub - maybe I would. She didn't do that.

Now, maybe my own memory is fading and kids are not supposed to be in any hot tubs at all. But, its seems to me that rule has been relaxed.

OP - greatly enjoying your review. Keep it coming!

There's a huge difference between letting you kids hang out in the hot tubs all day and going as a family for 30 minutes during a time when there is hardly anyone around.

Really enjoying your review! We are going on the Dream in November and bringing our kids for their first cruise (although they are a lot older than yours! 15 and 17) Can't wait!

There's a huge difference between letting you kids hang out in the hot tubs all day and going as a family for 30 minutes during a time when there is hardly anyone around.

I totally agree with this statement. :) It's when I see a hot tub full of kids using it as a swimming pool without any adults around that I get upset. As for the urine content in the pools, I tend to agree that inebriated adults are probably more to blame than kids, especially on cruise ships! As a parent, I know the frequency with which my own kids got out of the pool to use the restroom. They'd have to have been drinking a heck of a lot to be peeing in the pool too! Not saying some kids don't pee in pools, but to say just because it's a kid, he/she is going to pee in the pool is not a valid argument to me!

OP, congratulations on your weight loss! You look great! I have lost 50 lbs this past year (just by doing low carb) and hope to lose another 50 lbs in the next year. Good for you for using the jogging track on vacation! I have to say that I've never worked out on vacation, so I applaud your dedication!!

As for the spa pkg, I just wanted to point out to others looking to buy this that Carnival has spa rooms that include use of the spa for 2 people. So, when looking to use the spa, always check the price of the spa rooms...if the upgrade to the spa room is under the $249 charged for the week for two people, go with the spa room. I learned this from another review and just wanted to pass it on. I've not been on a Dream class ship yet, but definitely will do the spa (either by booking a spa room or buying a pkg) when we do have the opportunity to try that class of ship!

Enjoying your review and can't wait for more...

Such a nice family and I am really enjoying your review. I hope to sail on the Dream at some point and this is really helping me understand the ship until that time....Can't wait to read the rest of the review...Q:p

I am loving your review!! We cruise on the Dream next February. I can't wait to read the rest of it. My DH is a FF and we are both EMT"S. WE really know about the value of getting away. We have a 15 year old son, and he also is our only child. I couldn't agree with you more with your hot tub ettiquette and parenting style. Congratulations on your weight loss success! That is amazing! You are lovely in your pictures with DH! I am also beginning the journey to healthy living. Can't wait for more of your review!!

And when I say "no one ever walked by looking for a tub" I mean that really no one ever walked by at all. The thing you will realize about the Dream once you are on it is that you can't necessarily tell who, or the ages, or the sex of the people in the tubs (at least on the lanai) because of the colored glass that surrounds the tubs. You have to look in a bit. We were prepared to get out and offer our spot if someone popped their head around the glass wall. But seriously, it was before dinner, getting chilly, looking like rain, and no one even walked by the hot tub.

Trust me, in three cruises, this one day for 20 minutes was the only time we have let DD in a hot tub on a ship. On our last cruise, DD saw other kids crowding the tubs on the pool deck and asked more than once to go in and we said no. We told her no other times on this ship. So are we conscientious? Yes. Did we make an exception due to the low demand for hot tub space that afternoon? Yes. Sorry that bothers you (ok, well truthfully no I'm not sorry...but I appreciate your opinion anyway :)).

I agree with you 100%. There are some haters around these board just looking to pounce. You handled it quite well, better than I would have. Thanks again for an excellent review. I'll keep my eye out for more.

I agree with you 100%. There are some haters around these board just looking to pounce. You handled it quite well, better than I would have. Thanks again for an excellent review. I'll keep my eye out for more.

I agree as well. Love your review....it appears that even a post as innocent as a cruise review isn't safe from the venom of the cruise practices and ethics committee here on CC. I was rebuked once bc of how I worded a sentence...don't let it get to you. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your cruise! Only 96 more days for me until I cruise on the dream!

Wed June 20 - MK in the morning again for a special education program for DD that allowed us to purchase very discounted park tickets. Can give more info on that if anyone is interested. Again, we left the park from lunch to dinner, this time we went to Downtown Disney to walk around in the evening.

I'm interested!!!! We are doing this next year (cruise and Disney) so anything that I can find that would help the cost would be great :D!

You are welcome to email me the info at jwells429@hotmail.com :). Thanks!!!!!!

I'm going on a family cruise on the Dream in November and yours is the review I have been waiting for!!! All of the others are a bit dated or have no pics. So thanks for taking the time to do this review!

I am currently on a weight loss mission myself and have just started going to the gym. I am down 33 pounds so far and am so motivated to get the remaining 60-65 off. I have never even been in the gym on a cruise, but am thinking that I will use it this trip...which as I am sure you know takes a big mental change. Anywho, congrats to you and you look fantastic!

And, just so you know, I hate the singing waiter bit. I know others love it, but I find it just cheesy and it throws off the ambiance of an otherwise nice dining experience. That "Hellllloooooooo" just makes me cringe:D

I don't have children myself, but I don't find anything wrong with what you did, for a short time on one day, because the Water Works was closed. Don't let this HotTubGate thing get to you:rolleyes:

Your review is great and I am really looking forward to more, especially Mr. Sanchos, since that is where we plan to go this time. Again, THANK YOU!!!

Enjoying your review. My DH, myself, one daughter and her husband, and another daughter and my sister-in-law are going on the Dream in December. Love the pics to see what the ship looks like. Looking forward to more!!! Thanks for doing this.

There are hot tubs on the ship in the Serenity area and/or otherwise dedicated to adults, no? Doesn't that then mean that children ARE allowed in the other hot tubs. What OP did do was be try to be kind to people that would have already been in a hot tub that might not enjoy having kids in there.

I didn't mean to be a complainer. But 100% of the hot tubs are adults only and it's parents saying, "Well, I saw other kids in them" that I think makes things get out of hand with the number of small people in the tubs.

<backing slowly away and preparing to simply enjoy the rest of the review>

Wed June 20 - MK in the morning again for a special education program for DD that allowed us to purchase very discounted park tickets. Can give more info on that if anyone is interested.

I am very interested in hearing more about the special education program for DD as my daughter has some special needs. Please share more info and thank you for sharing a great review! :)

Nice review and pics. I don't have a problem with kids in the hot tubs. I just don't want them in there with me when they want to splash and play around. Although I don't frequent the jacuzzis or pools because 23 years in the medical field have me paranoid about germs :o

I cringe everytime I hear people say that urine is STERILE. That is such and untrue and dangerous statement. People also think that it's alright to urinate in a pool becaue the chlorination will take care of it???? These are the very reasons why we tell our patients not to swim or get in jacuzzis postoperatively or when your immunity is low.

As for the spa pkg, I just wanted to point out to others looking to buy this that Carnival has spa rooms that include use of the spa for 2 people. So, when looking to use the spa, always check the price of the spa rooms...if the upgrade to the spa room is under the $249 charged for the week for two people, go with the spa room. I learned this from another review and just wanted to pass it on. I've not been on a Dream class ship yet, but definitely will do the spa (either by booking a spa room or buying a pkg) when we do have the opportunity to try that class of ship!

You are so right. I was really surprised when I read that the OP had a cabin on the spa deck but not in the spa area cabins. Perhaps when she booked, there were none available as she went knowing she was going to buy the package.

We had one on the Dream and only paid $30pp than the non spa one. On the Magic TA, a 16 day cruise, we paid $60pp more than a non spa one. Not only did we get a fantastic deal but the spa cabins are a little nicer and have better amenities. ( robes are a better quality, you get slippers and a few extra toiletries )

OP: Enjoying this review. You are doing a great job and thanks for taking the time and for sharing your photos.:D

Hope you discovered the custom salad bar during lunch time where the Sushi Bar is, that is just amazing.

No! I did not find that! I think we were just so ready to kick back and do nothing after 6 days at WDW that we did much less exploring on this ship. A problem easily solved by booking another cruise...

Thanks for your review! we had friends who were on the same cruise...they said the MDR service was not good at all...for the entire week:eek:

We are cruising the Dream in November and I was wondering..how big is the T-pool in the spa? It's hard to tell from the pictures...I've used the thermal type pools on Holland America and loved them...that and the thermal chairs...so may have to check out the Spa on the Dream:):):)

That's interesting to hear about the MDR service. I actually thought our service team was pleasant, accurate and fast. They were just clearly overworked. Didn't have the time to take to have even a quick welcome convo, or talk about the menu, clearly didn't realize they hadn't met us yet, etc. And you could see it across the dining room.

Hmm. Hard question on how big the T-pool is. I'd say maybe the size of two hot tubs together? Perhaps someone else can chime in with a more accurate number (or already has, I haven't gotten through all the comments yet). I will say that we hardly ever found more than 2 other people in it.

OP, congratulations on your weight loss! You look great! I have lost 50 lbs this past year (just by doing low carb) and hope to lose another 50 lbs in the next year. Good for you for using the jogging track on vacation! I have to say that I've never worked out on vacation, so I applaud your dedication!!

Thank you! That is awesome about your 50 lb weight loss. I've been doing low carb since my surgery (in the beginning, very low carb, more moderate now) and I truly believe it is the way to go. One benefit of the surgery is the removal of the stomach tissue that makes one of the hunger hormones. I actually thought I lost my hunger completely, but then I realized that if I had processed carbs, I got hungry again. I could talk about the surgery/weight loss experience forever (and will if someone has questions) but moving on...

It felt so good to be more active on this vacation. I had ONE drink the whole week on the ship because I felt relaxed enough from my workouts and the spa that I didn't even feel the need for alcohol. I never had that sleepy, heavy, bogged down feeling and that was awesome for me.

As for the spa cabins, thanks for bringing that up - we priced out the spa balconies, but unfortunately at the time we booked (only two months out) there were no more panorama deck spa balcony cabins available. The ones up one level (on the spa deck) are all open balconies where people can look down on you. That is completely unacceptable to my DH, so we didn't even consider those.

Aside from that, it was still cheaper to get a panorama deck balcony and buy the pass separately. I think the only things we missed out on were the elemis toiletries in the cabin and the free gym classes. We did have the spa towels in our cabin, which was an unexpected bonus. They are very nice cushy towels.

Archived