pls help, new to NCL, thinking about EPIC

zpdw484

Ok so let me start off by saying I have done 9 cruises, 7 have been on RCI, and the other 2 on carnival. I love RCI and really have no complaints with their product at all. Their ships are awesome and have very good passenger flow, etc. Very rarely do they feel crowded. But anyways, I just returned from Freedom of the seas and I have PCD very badly!! So the way I see it, the best fix is to start planning my next cruise. I am thinking about booking the Norwegian Epic for a caribbean cruise in april of next year. Mainly because I will probably be sailing solo and I really like the idea of the studio cabins.

So how does NCL compare to RCI? Can you guys help break down the "freestyle" concept for me? What kind of dress is suggested, etc. How about the upcharge dining? I'm not a very picky eater and kinda cringe at the thought of paying for a cruise and then having to pay extra to eat every night. Are the "free" eating venues subpar? Or can you get by without doing all of the upcharge restaraunts?

Is the ship fairly easy to navigate or are you still getting lost on day 6 lol. How is the pool deck? I spend a large majority of my time up on deck by the pool soaking up the sun so the pool area is important to me. Are the pools tiny? Is it fairly easy to get a deck chair? Does NCL have reggae bands at the pool??

Also what age of passengers should I expect for a April sailing in the caribbean. I am a 28 yr old male and would hope that there would be some passengers in my age group. I am assuming that NCL attracts roughly the same type of passengers as RCI. Sorry about asking a million questions, but I am a total NCL newbie and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Ok so let me start off by saying I have done 9 cruises, 7 have been on RCI, and the other 2 on carnival. I love RCI and really have no complaints with their product at all. Their ships are awesome and have very good passenger flow, etc. Very rarely do they feel crowded. But anyways, I just returned from Freedom of the seas and I have PCD very badly!! So the way I see it, the best fix is to start planning my next cruise. I am thinking about booking the Norwegian Epic for a caribbean cruise in april of next year. Mainly because I will probably be sailing solo and I really like the idea of the studio cabins.

So how does NCL compare to RCI? Can you guys help break down the "freestyle" concept for me? What kind of dress is suggested, etc. How about the upcharge dining? I'm not a very picky eater and kinda cringe at the thought of paying for a cruise and then having to pay extra to eat every night. Are the "free" eating venues subpar? Or can you get by without doing all of the upcharge restaraunts?

Is the ship fairly easy to navigate or are you still getting lost on day 6 lol. How is the pool deck? I spend a large majority of my time up on deck by the pool soaking up the sun so the pool area is important to me. Are the pools tiny? Is it fairly easy to get a deck chair? Does NCL have reggae bands at the pool??

Also what age of passengers should I expect for a April sailing in the caribbean. I am a 28 yr old male and would hope that there would be some passengers in my age group. I am assuming that NCL attracts roughly the same type of passengers as RCI. Sorry about asking a million questions, but I am a total NCL newbie and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

You should take some time to read through the board as all your questions have been discussed many times over. As an example here is one of the best reviews of the Epic that includes the Studio cabins.

Enjoy. It's a great review. Welcome to the NCL board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386629

You should take some time to read through the board as all your questions have been discussed many times over. As an example here is one of the best reviews of the Epic that includes the Studio cabins.

Enjoy. It's a great review. Welcome to the NCL board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386629

thanks for the link

I'm booked in a Solo Studio on the Epic for December, so unfortunately I can't speak from experience on that... yet. I had my first NCL experience on the Gem back in 2010 and was very pleased. We'd check out the menus for the main dining rooms each day (posted outside the entrances and now on your in-room TV) to decide if we wanted to eat there, in a specialty restaurant, or at the buffet. Most nights, I could find something good in the no-fee restaurants, and I'm a picky eater as well. Like most main dining rooms serving thousands of people, the quality of the food was good buy not exceptional (and certainly not gourmet). Steaks were always a bit more done than I'd like, and food temperature was warm rather than hot. But overall, the presentation was good and the food was tasty. We also ate at the Teppanyaki restaurant (fun cooking show) and at the steakhouse, and enjoyed a jazz brunch at the Bistro. I loved the buffet for breakfast and some lunches, and we also enjoyed the grill out by the pool. I don't think you'll have any problem finding good food, and you can eat where you want, when you want. Dress code is very relaxed -- I think they prefer long pants for dinner but as long as you're not wearing raggedy cutoffs or saggy jeans hanging down to mid-thigh, I think you're good!

I am not basing my post on experience...unless you count experience on the boards! :D

But from what I've read, the mainstream cruise lines are more similar than not. I wouldn't hesitate to book any of them if the prices lined up.

To date we've only sailed NCL...but price and convenience have been strong factors!

I'm booked in a Solo Studio on the Epic for December, so unfortunately I can't speak from experience on that... yet. I had my first NCL experience on the Gem back in 2010 and was very pleased. We'd check out the menus for the main dining rooms each day (posted outside the entrances and now on your in-room TV) to decide if we wanted to eat there, in a specialty restaurant, or at the buffet. Most nights, I could find something good in the no-fee restaurants, and I'm a picky eater as well. Like most main dining rooms serving thousands of people, the quality of the food was good buy not exceptional (and certainly not gourmet). Steaks were always a bit more done than I'd like, and food temperature was warm rather than hot. But overall, the presentation was good and the food was tasty. We also ate at the Teppanyaki restaurant (fun cooking show) and at the steakhouse, and enjoyed a jazz brunch at the Bistro. I loved the buffet for breakfast and some lunches, and we also enjoyed the grill out by the pool. I don't think you'll have any problem finding good food, and you can eat where you want, when you want. Dress code is very relaxed -- I think they prefer long pants for dinner but as long as you're not wearing raggedy cutoffs or saggy jeans hanging down to mid-thigh, I think you're good!

thanks so much for the reply. So am I right in assuming that khaki pants and a polo shirt would be fine for dinner in pretty much any of the restaraunts? Are shorts a "no no" for dinner? I am fine with dressing however I need to for dinner, etc, I 'm just not quiet sure what is expected for the "freestyle" thing. So do you have to make reservations for dinner every night or can you just show up when and wherever you would like? Thanks so much for the help

No reservations required, unless you are doing the Cirque Show/dinner or Teppanyaki. The Main Dining Rooms are just like land restaurants, show up, be seated, you can request to share if you don't want to sit alone. They might try to accommodate your request if others are willing.

Are you sailing in a studio cabin?? They will often have a group going to dinner together.

Have a great time!!

The NCL FAQ's are a "must read".

http://www2.ncl.com/faq

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises over longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

No reservations required, unless you are doing the Cirque Show/dinner or Teppanyaki. The Main Dining Rooms are just like land restaurants, show up, be seated, you can request to share if you don't want to sit alone. They might try to accommodate your request if others are willing.

Are you sailing in a studio cabin?? They will often have a group going to dinner together.

Have a great time!!

I have not booked the Epic yet. I am doing my homework trying to decide if it's for me or not. What really interests me about the Epic is the studio cabins, so if I end up sailing the Epic it will definately be in one. So does anyone have any idea what age group of passengers the Epic would attract for a April caribbean cruise? Nothing against older retired folks but I wouldn't want to be the only "younger" person on the ship as I am in my late 20's lol. I have never cruised earlier in the year than May so not sure what type of passengers to expect.

I have not booked the Epic yet. I am doing my homework trying to decide if it's for me or not. What really interests me about the Epic is the studio cabins, so if I end up sailing the Epic it will definately be in one. So does anyone have any idea what age group of passengers the Epic would attract for a April caribbean cruise? Nothing against older retired folks but I wouldn't want to be the only "younger" person on the ship as I am in my late 20's lol. I have never cruised earlier in the year than May so not sure what type of passengers to expect.

The age group should be fine on the cruise you're looking at. Particularly if it's a spring break week!

The cruises that really slant toward older cruisers are cruises that are longer than a week. Our 10-day cruises have definitely featured an older crowd, but the 15-day Panama Canal cruise won. The average age was 67!

The age group should be fine on the cruise you're looking at. Particularly if it's a spring break week!

The cruises that really slant toward older cruisers are cruises that are longer than a week. Our 10-day cruises have definitely featured an older crowd, but the 15-day Panama Canal cruise won. The average age was 67!

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear

If your cruise is 7 days, not 14 days, you will find many more young people.

We did the Epic in the Med this May and it was the youngest average age of cruisers we have seen on any of our cruises.

I think the Epic draws more young people as well.

Our spring break is the first week of April.

Love, love, love the Epic! So many things to do. We are Diamond on RCCL but much prefer the way NCL does things. I think the Studios are a great idea for single travelers. Had an opportunity to visit the cabins and Living Room during a cabin crawl. Great concept. Seems like those that book them have a great time as there are lots of activities for singles.

Archived